Do you know anyone

sal 60 Hanzlik

that is hungry or losing their home or apartment due this virus? I don't but if I did I would surely help them.

SaveComment16Like1
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur03

I do not. However in this area most of the grocery stores have bins that people can place food into. If I was going out there are two churches that have food banks. I have not been to the new one but the other one purchases from the regional charity food store. If you have fresh foods you can place outside of the doors on days that they are open as long as it does not impede foot traffic. Money is always welcome as a donation at these places. Companies in the area donate to the regional charity food store and places can find something to distribute there.

1 Like Save    
ded_tired

Same as malfleur. A few people have lost business, such as my friend who is a travel agent and another who is a photographer. However, they seem to be doing okay.

Food banks are looking for more donations, so obviously there are people in need. I keep meaning to make a special grocery shopping trip so I can donate what they need. I hate grocery shopping under the best of circumstances! At least I will feel good doing this.

1 Like Save    
Judy Good

In the beginning of this mess, we had a couple of friends hurting. We did help them. After they could start collecting unemployment things were better for them. Several local business's did close for good, but we did not know them personally. Do not know of anyone that lost their homes or rentals.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Here there is a moratorium on evictions until January although that does not mean a landlord will not tell a tenant to get out. The few businesses that I have seen closed were going to close eventually. Most were in wrong spots for the types of businesses they were. One thing I have noticed in my few trips out are more ethnic food stores. Most are Caribbean or have signs stating tropical.

1 Like Save    
seagrass_gw

We live in a very small town. We were approached by a community aid worker in March asking if we would be willing to help a family with 2 young children - the husband had become ill and unable to work. The kids were home and not in school so the mother had her hands full. We have been paying for their groceries once a week at our mom & pop grocery store ever since then. Not sure how long this will be, but it's our way of contributing and is meaningful to us and to the family (who is grateful but remains anonymous). Also helps our local business, as well.

14 Likes Save    
amylou321

I dont. A coworker of mines husband got laid off, but with the extra money they were getting for unemployment benefits, it was handy that he could stay at home and supervise their kitchen remodel. 🙄

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

That's very generous and kind of you seagrass.

The best way to help one another is to make careful choices this November when voting. We've seen what happens when we're governed by the inept. Choices matter.

11 Likes Save    
Debby

Personally, I do not know anyone. Yet.

Save    
grapefruit1_ar

We do not know anyone who is in those situations, but there are plenty of opportunities to help out. As soon as schools were closed down a local restaurant owner began making free breakfasts for kids. We made a financial donation to the cause so that he could purchase needed supplies.

One of our local churches has a “ Blessings Box” outside along the street. People donate canned goods, non-perishables, hygiene products,fresh produce, etc. to be placed in the box. It is free for the taking.

Another church has a food giveaway once a month. DH and I have volunteered there helping with bagging and handing out items as people drive up.

Another group of citizens has a community garden that provides for those who need things. There is a church that also collects and distributes cleaning/ laundry supplies.

These are some of the many perks of small-town living.

3 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

No and in fact our town food shelf is over running with fresh produce no one wants! The Government hand outs are keeping everyone plenty fat and sassy. No one hungry enough yet to eat a fresh tomato when there is money for McDonald's french fries!! I don't even know anyone who has been out of work due to this mess. Well DH took a furlough so other's who make much less would not have to--joke was on him! They WANTED to be laid off--with the extra $600 per week from Uncle Sam, they were making more than when working!!

2 Likes Save    
Bookwoman

arcy, the extra $600/week ended at the end of July, which I'm sure pleased you. What happens next:

A $300 weekly supplement to unemployment payments is starting to reach recipients, but it won’t be any help to the newly jobless.

The program, Lost Wages Assistance, was created last month by President Trump with federal disaster funds after Republicans and Democrats were deadlocked on a relief bill. The payments — half the amount of a federal supplement that expired at the end of July — are retroactive to the week that ended Aug. 1. But officials said there was money for no more than six weeks, so states have been told that the coverage ended Sept. 5.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/09/17/business/stock-market-today-coronavirus/a-300-unemployment-supplement-is-starting-to-flow-but-only-retroactively

Save    
beesneeds

Yes, I know a bunch of people that are in bad shape due to C-19. I know a lot of people that are workers in the entertainment and traveling crafting industries, and losing pretty much an entire years worth of venues has hurt a lot of folks pretty hard. They are scattered all over the country, many of them just ended up where ever they were on their last venue, stuck there.

Unfortunately many of them didn't really qualify for unemployment, being self employed or often paid small in cash out of daily receipts.

The communities are helping as they can- boosting signals of folks selling goods, or giving shout outs for help to take folks in or some pet adoptions for folks that just can't support having their pets anymore. Some fundraising is going on too in various forms.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

In June we created a job for our cleaner on Maui -- $50/week to go to our condo, run water, flush toilets, and 'exercise' the A/C. There's no work for vacation rental cleaners now. The cost of living in Hawaii is off the charts. Our rental management checks properties too, but this helps her a little.

I sent some Target gift cards to my hairdresser a couple of times while salons were on lockdown, then over-tipped her when she could resume work. Her DH, DS and DD were all working. It was still a unexpectedly tight.

A charity in our town assists children and families with small amounts ( ~ $500 to cover eyeglasses, gym fees, winter clothing, a utility bill, etc.) -- things the larger services don't cover. We usually donate at Christmas; adding more now.

This recession is going to get much, much worse for the 90 percent who are not guided by the light of the Dow Jones.

3 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

I have family that have lost income due to layoffs, not hungry or homeless yet but we won’t allow that to happen either. My family will pull their resources together for them to make sure of that.

I donate everything I can afford to donate to help those without. I’ve been there and live with the scars constantly. Being homeless and/or hungry is traumatic for a family who is suddenly faced with joblessness at any point much less in times like these.

4 Likes Save    
maifleur03

I purchase my vegetables from a small plant nursery that also is a distribution center for a group of AnaBaptist farmers who run a CSA which was struggling. I noticed that there was a new Muslim Center across the entrance to the street the nursery is on. He was only open after the plant season ended on certain days. I suggested that he open late and stay open Fridays until just before services start. He is very pleased now although he told me he originally dismissed the idea. They not only purchased food and plants but some of the ladies recognized the older grapevines that the previous owner had left. They are tending both the grapevines and the fig trees which were about to be removed on days there are no customers. He has benefited by their knowledge and the dolmas that they have made from the leaves they have trimmed. The farmers are also planning on growing things next year that the ladies have asked about. Sometimes the help that is needed may be just a small suggestion phrased as a question.

5 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

What I don’t think a lot of people realize is that when a family who is used to earning their way looses the ability to do so, they are usually too proud to let others know they are in trouble. So don’t assume that no one in your town is not going without because you really don’t know.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Great Home Projects What to Know Before Refinishing Your Floors
Learn costs and other important details about renewing a hardwood floor — and the one mistake you should avoid
Full Story
Healthy Home What You Need to Know About Dust and How to Fight It
Breathe easier with these 10 tips for busting mites, dander and other microscopic undesirables
Full Story
Bedrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Master Bedroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make your bedroom a serene dream with easy moves that won’t give your bank account nightmares
Full Story