SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_647047563

Dare I paint my house BM Hale Navy?

HU-647047563
3 years ago

Would it be too dark, too likely to fade, become dated...? Should I just stick with the neighborhood beige? We will probably be needing to change the roof in the next year or 2. What color?

Comments (32)

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Since you need to change the roof in a year or two, I would wait and choose the roof and paint at the same time. I don't think the navy would be great with your current roof. In my opinion, a house of your style would look best with natural colors rather than navy. You might consider a neutral green, whether light or dark, if you want to move away from beige.

HU-647047563 thanked calidesign
  • wsea
    3 years ago

We painted our house hale navy 2 yrs ago. I touched up a bit this summer in an area that had some siding shrinkage. Still matched .

Current exterior · More Info

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

What is the general location?

• HU-647047563
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love your navy. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Are there any homes nearby with strong colors? IMO, being a good neighbor includes consideration of the neighbors. Are they open to the house next door being dramatically different exterior wise? That said, if you want a color change, what about gray range color? creams, whites etc are good for trims. Looks like most of your neighbors have gray tone roofs & if you‘re inclined to do same, it would look good with gray tones of paint. Wsae‘s Navy House is in an entirely different kind of neighborhood- looks like - & Navy suits that house.

HU-647047563 thanked KW PNW Z8
  • HU-647047563
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are in Western Washington on Puget Sound - glorious water view. There are other houses that are darkish blue, green, brown, grey... but also an abundance of light beige. My house was built in the 70s and is one of the older ones in the neighborhood.

• HU-647047563
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I like dark grey as well. The roof is really is not visible because the house is high on a sloping lot. I didn't even know what color it was until I saw that real estate drone photo and then got up on a ladder.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

I Looked at your pics again - there’s at least one & maybe two houses behind you that are wrapped in Tyvek. New houses or new siding? Wait on choosing colors until you see what’s happening there! Whatever you decide, , choose a color that goes with a new gray toned roof as I doubt you’ll stay with the color you have.

HU-647047563 thanked KW PNW Z8
  • HU-647047563
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks to all for taking the time to help me think about the options and consequences. Yes, the new roof will be dark grey/charcoal toned. Thanks Beth H. I am surprised, intrigued and really liking the greenish Jasper.

No matter what I have to wait because contractors are so busy and it's getting to be rainy in western Washington. Gotta plan and dream.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

HU, the Jasper and cream, with copper color rain gutters, and some type of wood accent (maybe garage doors and cedar posts by the garage) would look great. throw in some copper pots, copper toned lighting (or even a bronze/gold) with similar hardware.

this is charcoal, but see the cedar posts?

now add your colors to is, w/some of the other accents.

maybe trim that huge bush in front, and redo your current fence w/this warmer cedar color stain.

you can get a pretty good looking garage door that resembles wood. but try and stay w/more of a modern look as opposed to the traditional looking garage doors

HU-647047563 thanked Beth H. :
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

Newburyport Blue is a great dark blue.

HU-647047563 thanked houssaon
  • Melissa R
    3 years ago

SW Jasper

SW Anchors Aweigh

SW Green Black

SW Charcoal Blue

SW In The Navy

SW Tricorn Black

HU-647047563 thanked Melissa R
  • Melissa R
    3 years ago

SW Green Black

SW Charcoal Blue

SW Jasper

SW In The Navy

SW Sea Serpent

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

I love the blues, but any of the darker colors would look great! I used to have a horse named Puget Sound. I figured you had some kind of great view with those windows.

HU-647047563 thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • wsea
    3 years ago

HU, we are in the same general area. I definitely recommend something other than tan. It’s one of my pet peeves that western Washington with grey, dark winters is full of so many dull houses.

HU-647047563 thanked wsea
  • HU-647047563
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gosh. Thank to all who spend time to think about my question and demo options. I feel my anxiety lifting and dark bold color coming to my old but new to me house.

What software d you use to color my photos? I've tried Benjamin Moore's app and just made a mess.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

With white trim it would look nice.

HU-647047563 thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Yes please any thing but beige. That house will look awesome in that color with the white trim I agree a nice charcoal roof wnen the time comes . I would get new garage doors with some glass in them to soften that wall look I would not do the green I think it would be a mistake for that house either the blue or a dark gray .

HU-647047563 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • calidesign
    3 years ago

I think the Jasper color is amazing. It works with your current roof and would still be fine with charcoal later.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

replace those two posts w/cedar instead of painting them white.

any of the dark colors would be nice. those modern style homes of the 70's and 80's were usually painted colors in nature, so the dark green would fit in fine. but the navy, or charcoal are equally nice. (I just think those cedar posts would look better w/the darker paint. )

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I don't like the appearance of all the white trim around the windows. It's distracting. I would paint all the windows a dark color to coordinate with what you select.

HU-647047563 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Melissa R
    3 years ago

I use SW site to do this.

Here is Jasper with Tricorn Black trim and Rockwood Antique Gold post and flower box.

• HU-647047563
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Melissa. I'll have to look at SW site to try my hand at color viewing. I don't know about the dark trim. Hmmm.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

yeah, I think I like the cream w/the green. and the navy.

But the more I look at that pic w/the dark trim, it kind of grows on me! I'd want more wood though. and maybe spruce up the landscaping.

I suppose if you did a medium gray, you could do a dark charcoal trim. It just depends on the overall look you want.

i do like the cedar posts though. and I'd prob add one or two more for symmetry

it would be lot to redo all of the eaves w/cedar, but what if you stripped and stained them the cedar shade like the posts?? or you could do all of that jasper, but the underside the cream? or just the stiles cream? you'd have to play around w/diff looks

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I think you need some contrast between the house color and the trim. I think the white trim works with the dark house color, or try the Jasper green as the trim color with a lighter shade of the same color for the house.

• HU-647047563
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Raw cedar trim would be nice on the rafter tails, but way out of the budget. The beams extend into the interior, and I would have loved raw cedar there as well. Alas, white paint.

We will work with what we have.

This is my first question posted on Houzz and I am stunned by how professional and thoughtful the responses have been. Thank you to the kind Houzz community.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I vote for charcoal and cedar.

Orca Drive Waterfront, Camano Island WA · More Info

Stealth · More Info

HU-647047563 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • HU-647047563
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beautiful, decoenthusiaste.

Thanks for taking the time to show me and others a lovely bold color combinations.

We are very close to Camano Island.

Love the BM Onyx with cedar.

• Rawketgrl
    last year
    last modified: last year

HU-647047563

Hi, any update? What did you end up doing? I am in the Cascade foot hills, lakeside. Leaning strongly toward Hale Navy siding, white trim. Trying to pick the white now.

Curious what a fellow PNWurner picked with similar weather patterns and surrounded by beige neighbors.

HU-647047563 thanked Rawketgrl
  • HU-647047563
    Original Author
    last year

I painted the house BM Kendall Charcoal and trim BM Light Pewter. I like the dark color and think I would have even liked a darker color and trim. I've had lots of compliments on the color change. Also had the roof replaced with a dark grey.

I had trouble on the trim too. What I noticed is that with the dark base the Light Pewter looks very white, but it has a LRV of 67 (not very light)

I did a lot of walking around, taking pictures, and looking at photos online.

Good luck and follow your heart.

• Rawketgrl
    last year

Looks great! Makes the house look modern and more sophisticated. Nice job. Thanks for the quick reply.

HU-647047563 thanked Rawketgrl