SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurajp

Tree in narrow spot for privacy?

laurajp
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I would appreciate any suggestions for a narrow tree or shrub between two pyramidal trees, to screen the view of the neighbor's house. It is to replace the little juniper behind the pink sedum in the photo. It is a blue point juniper I picked up on sale/impulse but realized thought it will get taller it will not get wider than its 2.5 feet and will not create the screening I want. Something 10 feet or taller, 5-10 feet wide.

- We are in zone 6, urban area outside Boston (houses close to one another, small yards)

- The tree spot faces south-west, and receives sun between the houses on the side in the morning and most of the afternoon on the face. About 5 & 7 hours of sun, depending on the time of year.

- In the photo, the tree to the left is a 10 ft Umbrella pine and the right a 12 ft stewardia. They will grow together a bit over time but will not fill the gap that displays the neighbor's white house (my goal).

- I am seeking a tree that is either columar or vase shaped. I am thinking at maturity something that is 10-25 feet tall (could be taller but not much) and 5-10 feet wide (10 max).

- Open to any type of tree (flowering or not) that will do well and provide some level of screen sooner rather than later, though have a preferance for decidious. Trying to find something at a local nursery as likely to get a larger specimen verus online (and have yet to order a tree online - yikes!) Love contrast (different color, texture, etc.)

I have created an idea list and would love to hear about anyone's experience with these trees (or photos of more mature trees which are so hard to find), opinions on their ability to meet my goals OR alternative tree suggestions that meet my goals/parameters. A single stem tree would allow me to plant closer to the fench and have a larger canopy, but I would consider a shrub.

- Small stature Ginkgos (goldspire or sky tower, though sky tower slow growth) - love ginkgos but have never seen these type in person and might have to order online (gulp...but don't want to get a small one)

- Crimson Point Flowering Plum - love the idea of the burgundy but have not found a mature photo or a place locally that sells

- Narrow magnolias (Genie, Black Tuplip, Sunsation, Emerald Tower) - like the idea of the large dark foliage in contrast to adjacent trees but concerned about surface roots (not far from a patio, maybe 5 feet). Don't know if it will look funny to have a magnolia "in the back". Found the first two locally.

- Galdiator crap apple - also burgundy, ornamental fruits. Found one locally.

Very much appreciate any advice from other gardeners. We are pretty new to this and have so much to learn!

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!