SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_959434472

Appraisal less than offer on house

Kate Mondo
3 years ago

My offer for a house was accepted and I submitted some things from the inspection to the seller, they’re offering $3,500 instead of fixing anything. The 3 biggest are a termite/carpenter ant treatment which the termite company priced at $1,050; 3 foundation cracks but I need to go back to the inspector and ask the depth/width; and, having them contact the utility company because the outside gas pipe leading to the meter is corroded/rusty looking. Overall, it’s a 21 year old home that’s been maintained by the owners but not improved. The carpet, furnace and roof are the originals with a new A/C installed last year. I plan on replacing the carpet before moving in and the roof in the next 1-2 years. The driveway has sunk too and will need to be replaced or slab-jacked at some point, the inspector pointed it out as a trip hazard walking into the garage and driving in it’ll be felt too. So, the $3,500 will hopefully cover the repairs from the inspection report but there’s additional money I’ll be putting into the house.

Their realtor said they priced it to take into account older mechanicals but I don’t really believe it, I started checking comps while waiting to hear back and feel like it was overpriced – I wouldn’t have done that if my realtor had given me written comps not just showed me ones on her phone – lesson learned. Their $3,500 offer was over the phone and while still waiting for it in writing my appraisal came through at $8,000 under my offer (I offered $100 over asking).

I feel like they need to lower the home’s price to the appraised price plus still give the $4,000 so I can make the repairs. Any thoughts? My agent and I will talk tomorrow when their counter offer comes in writing.

Comments (19)