SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Naming your home

l pinkmountain
3 years ago

I know some similar posts have gone up about this topic lately, but i thought it might be fun to chime in. I passingly saw some link to some article that said "named" homes sold better. Probably not very defensible, but I like naming my stuff, although some stuff ends up having more "personality" than others . . . same with houses. My first house, which was row house, we just referred to by its number and street. My current home, for some reason, lends itself to naming. It's relatively small and one storied, so we refer to it as a cottage. Some uninspired names would be "Creekside Cottage" but that applies to every home on our street and neighborhood since a creek runs through it, or "Four Oaks Cottage" due to the four massive white oaks on the property. However, there are a lot of oaks, 13 to be exact, so "Oakwoods Cottage" might fit but again, rather uninspired and makes me feel bad for the other trees I am leaving out . . . Some more original ones would be "Oakrose Cottage" after my mother's favorite flower, since it was her home. Another is "ThistleRose Cottage" due to my mother's part Scottish heritage. That doesn't exactly trip off the tongue. If I really had to do it for reals, I might pick, "PhyllMar Cottage" which is a combination of my parents' first names, but it looks weird . . . "RoseVale Cottage" would be a combination of my last name and my husband's, (translated from German) and although the home is in the valley of the creek, it is a wooded lot so doesn't really fit as visual, although I kind of like the way it sounds.

How about you, any thoughts on names for your homes??

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator