SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshua_paterni

Need a solution for kitchen lighting - problematic pancake box

Josh Paterni
3 years ago

Our kitchen has a cluttered half wall with an island range hood and two pendant lights. One main goal of our renovation project is to visually open up this space without tearing out the half wall itself or moving our stove. We decided to swap out the range hood and replace the pendant lights with 4 inch can lights.

As it turns out, there's a ceiling beam just above the drywall where the lights are mounted, so recessed cans (or even partially recessed canless lights) won't work.

I bought some "flushmount" flat lights at Home Depot, but even those require more room above the ceiling than the pancake junction box allows.

What can I put here that isn't visually obtrusive? All of the small, low profile flushmount downlights I've found seem to be sized for European junction boxes and they are bit too narrow to cover my 4" box. We don't want to install new pendants but we're going to need a little bit of a canopy to house the wires. We don't want gallery-style spotlights or anything else that looks ultra modern or industrial.

I don't really want to lose lighting, but I guess one option is to patch the drywall. We'd probably prefer to do that over putting new pendant lights up.

Some pictures for reference. Thanks for your help and your ideas.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville