SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_512253423

First time buyer and the whole place needs paint. Where do I begin?

Nick
3 years ago

My wife and I are purchasing our first home. We love the neighborhood and the bones of the house are good, but it looks like the 1980s in there and we have a lot of work ahead of us. We have 3 weeks between the closing and when we need to be out of our current place, and were hoping to get some key rooms painted (Living Rm, Family Rm, Kitchen/Dining, Master Bed). This will include installing crown and painting the existing base/trim and doors.

• I don't even know where to start with picking a color pallets for different rooms. We will be buying a lot of new furniture, but have our sectional (dark green), bed (black), and kitchen table (walnut) as the main items that will be sticking around.
  • The Living Room and Family Room are on the small side, so we want them to feel as open as possible.
  • We will probably have to stick with the existing flooring for the foreseeable future, so we'll have to work around that.

Does anyone have an words of wisdom in tackling this, and where to begin? If you have any suggestions for color pallets based on these photos, I'm happy for input. What quality paint should we actually be purchasing ($35 Home Depot/Lowe's, or is $50-$60+ Sherwin or Benjamin Moore worth the extra money)?

(Not to scale)

Comment (1)