Help with a Second Story Loft Room

tatuggle

Our two story condo has a second story loft room that I need help making safe for my grandkids. I have attached two pictures. One shows what the loft opening looks like from the dining room/living room area. The second one was taken inside the loft room. We are considering just closing up the opening. However, I am concerned as there are no windows in the loft room. The room has bunk beds in it and I am afraid my grandkids might launch themselves over. Fortunately so far only toys have gone through the opening.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sandybean

These spaces aren't normally meant to be used as a bedroom. I wouldn't leave a kid alone in there for a minute. I'm not sure anyone would want to sleep in there if you closed up the space with no windows. Is it possible to add a window? Maybe someone will have an idea but I can't think of anything you could put there that wouldn't look strange.

1 Like Save    
bichonbabe

Where I live a room cannot be considered a bedroom unless it has a window for emergency egress.

3 Likes Save    
czegan

Can make that whole portion of the wall a feature, perhaps that looks like a slat wall partition? A nice way of adding barriers without just putting bars in the window space

1 Like Save    
anjiz

You can put in a decorative metal screen, endless patterns and configurations available. That’ll allow for airflow and as long as it is attached to the studs, will keep the kids safe!

1 Like Save    
tatuggle

A window can’t be added because it is an interior room. The idea of making the wall a feature is interesting. I’m not sure what a slat wall would look like?

1 Like Save    
tatuggle

The room cannot be considered a bedroom as it doesn’t have two methods for egress. We aren’t required to have a window. This is a vacation condo and all the owners use the loft area for sleeping. I’m just worried about safety.

Save    
tatuggle

The metal screens are a great idea. What type of business would I look for to purchase?

Save    
bichonbabe

If you’re worried about safety, then no one should be sleeping in a windowless room.

1 Like Save    
erinsean

From your picture it looks like you have a black stair railing in the lower room. Can you put the same thing up in the loft opening....would be closed enough that a child could not wiggle through, Not sure about small toys, though...lol

1 Like Save    
PRO
Patricia Colwell Consulting

Bad place for kids to sleep and IMO best used for a reading space and shoot the architect that designed it . IMO the view of a top bunk is not something I want to see from my LR.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Remodeling Guides Movin’ On Up: What to Consider With a Second-Story Addition
Learn how an extra story will change your house and its systems to avoid headaches and extra costs down the road
Full Story
Houzz Tours Renovation Helps Tell the Story of a Couple’s Adventurous Life
A designer found on Houzz showcases meaningful items the homeowners collected during decades of living abroad
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Room of the Day: Antiques Help a Dining Room Grow Up
Artfully distressed pieces and elegant colors take a formerly child-focused space into sophisticated territory
Full Story