SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Which kitchen sink material cleans up best after other household uses?

julieste
3 years ago

We're remodeling a kitchen in our second home in Florida. Other than the bathrooms (these have fairly shallow sinks), this will be the only sink in the entire place. There is no basement with a sink and no utility/laundry room with a sink. All project cleanup will have to do done at this sink. Our only other possibility is to go outside and just hose things down with a garden hose.

We won't be doing any major reconstruction tasks or car repair or things like that which truly will create a constant mess. But, I know we'll occasionally be doing things like cleaning up latex paint brushes or soaking something in a solution containing bleach or needing a sink to clean up something like very greasy small barbecue grates etc.

In our primary home I have a laundry sink for miscellaneous use. In the kitchen I have always had a cast iron kitchen sink, and it has nicely cleaned up after being used for these types of projects. I've read that bleach can harm stainless steel. Quartz or granite composite sinks like Silgranite I have no idea about how they'd stand up to any type of use for anything other than the usual kitchen cooking projects.

Anyone have any knowledge to help answer my question? Thanks.

Comments (8)