SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swolfcg

Do Not Recommend FireClay Tile

Steph
3 years ago

Here’s my long road trying to finish my kitchen backsplash using their Tile. I ordered 50 sq ft of 3x6 Subways and bullnose in Magnolia, which their off white/greyish crackle. It has variation I get that, but the bullnose was a bright white, not even closely matching the field tile.

I expressed my concerns and they had me send various mixes of field tile back to them to try to get the bullnose right. They were unable to recreate their color in the bullnose so they stated they needed to refire the entire order. I received the 2nd order and it’s even worse than first. I received 3 boxes of super white field, pencil, and bullnose (no variation), and 2 boxes of dark grey field tile (no variation), none of which come close to my first order.

At this point I have no way to complete my project and I have no confidence that they can make this right. There’s absolutely no QA here and I have no way to mix a few super white tile with dark grey, in order to utilize the trim they sent me.

My suggestion if you go with this company, do not buy the Magnolia color or anything with variation. However, I’m not entirely sure that they would be able to execute a plain tile either.

Comments (51)

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Or use the different color bullnose.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

It’s all beautiful but boy they don’t seem to be correct.

• Related Discussions

Charcoal vs. Fired Clay Pellets

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi I use a false bottom in my large terrarium so use no potting materials at all . They are sustained hydroponicly. I do use the clay pellets for some orchids but I find they are no better than crushed lava stone and cost about 3 times more. Both will last indefinitely Charcoal will absorb all kind of stuff but this condition is very short lived. Unless you intend to renew it on a regular basis not worth the expense.IMO. IMO Hydroton (clay pellets0 are better than airaflor due to a lot less dust. Since there are dozens of kinds of terrariums with dozens of kinds of plants not to mention animals . There are dozens of methods. Most anything will work for some length of time so the real ?? is which worked best in my situation?? In my situation i prefer the false bottom hydroponic method with very limited media . Would help a lot to know what kind ans size of terrarium?? gary
    ...See More

What do you recommend to clean your porcelain tile?

Q

Comments (2)
    Also, I forgot. Sometimes paint remover works well.
    ...See More

Which Tile Cutter/Wet Saw do you recommend?

Q

Comments (23)
    re a grinder: I've recently made extensive use of a Makita 4" grinder (N9514, I think), with MK blades. The most interesting thing I can contribute is that my DH evidently mounted the blade backwards, but it works *so* much more smoothly and handleably than when it's mounted what is supposedly the correct way. I got spark-free, chip-free gliding movement from it, but when it was turned around I got chips, sparks, bounces, etc... Just thought I'd throw that in. I'm also needing a sander for tile so I can take down the shine on the top edges of the bullnose--I need supposedly a 150, which is what my tile guy used on the edges of the field tile that would show to make a wonderfully touchable but still not shiny finish.
    ...See More

How far would you go on this update? What do you recommend?

Q

Comments (17)
    $30k is an insane cost for a bathroom so small. Even paying a contractor to do the work with modest finishes, but good quality, will run between $8k and $12k. Especially if the fixtures stay in the same location and only get exchanged for new. An architect is always a good investment. An architect will help you with design ideas, can curate material, fixture and finish choices based on your tastes and can oversee the work being done by the contractor to ensure that everything is done properly, up to code, and according to design. The average homeowner is not equipped to adequately oversee a contractor's work. I've had so many clients come to me after a botched renovation because they didn't understand the contractor was taking short cuts and it cost them thousands more to fix. All time and money that would have been saved had they had a professional licensed architect working for them and protecting their interests. Classic Comfort, de nada. You're very welcome. I'll send you a private message here shortly. Thank you.
    ...See More
  • lucky998877
    3 years ago

Wow, nowhere near a match

• Patty O
    3 years ago

Wow, what a mess. Could you use the field tiles with a different Schluter type of jolly or rondec trim?

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Send it all back and look at Sonoma, crackle field tile..with matching trim. Beautiful, consistent and lots of color.

https://sonomatilemakers.com/stellar/#decorative-field

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Schutler is an option but can’t use the metal type in my original 1943 traditional kitchen. It wouldn’t look right. Maybe a colored one similar to my field tile. I’m currently trying to find some field tile that is somewhat close to the pencil, the bullnose is out of the question because the drastic color change will definitely be noticeable.

Mind you this was all supposed to be the same color and were fired together. Hot mess is right.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They will not take the tile back. They stated it’s my order and can’t do anything with it. They attempted to make it right, and it was worse.

• Steph H
    3 years ago

Oh my. That stinks!

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Why no get the pencil in another color? You can do something subtle, that looks intentional.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

another color I have and it does not look good to me. I have white from the company and a wrong taupe grey color from the tile store. i also do not like the Schutler. I just asked my tile guy what can be done.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

They won’t take it back? After seeing the photos? That’s surprising. I get that it’s handmade tile but the ‘natural variation’ should be consistent across boxes and shapes. These look like seconds... each individual box is fine...

I guess if you own it the edge tile is the most off, can you use the field tile and mix it in a way that is pleasing? I would use the smallest white schluter- it really disappears when installed.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No, I don’t have enough of the field tile that matches the trim. The only sent me two boxes that come close. There is no mixing and matching, I tried. It’s just too different from the rest. I’m waiting on my tiler to let me know what he can do with miter cuts. The only other thing is to get the Schutler, which is too modern for my kitchen.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just got the last order last night at 8pm. They haven’t responded yet, but there isn’t much that can be done since they can’t get it right. They wouldn’t take the last back either, just remade my order, which was worse than the first. I sent them samples from each box of field tile and they still couldn’t match the color that is suppose to be the same.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What about getting a piece of wood trim and painting it close to the color of tile?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

I would discard the bullnose as it doesn’t match. Is there enough of the field tile that matches well enough to do the whole project? I would not use the schluter rondex, I would use jolly. I know you feel it is too modern but it will disappear while I fear painted wood will scream ‘oops’.

I would try again on a return though showing them the new photos.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, the original order was fine, except for the trim they sent, so I have enough field tile with that. The only thing wrong was the trim pieces which they consistently produce in a bright off white that’s doest match their magnolia color.

The replacement order includes two boxes of med grey solid tile, that’s even darker than the original and the same bright off white as the original trim. Almost like they sent me the same trim back. Did someone forget to stir the pot before they fired this off?

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

You need to talk to someone with more authority than the person you talked to....escalate this.

no way I would accept a “no”. I would not use that tile nor would I make do.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks I will escalate the issue Monday. I’ve only talked with a sales associate that promised to make it right. I’ll look at the jolly again, but the straight edge trim for my the top of my low tiles traditional kitchen was not what I was wanting. My timer states he can bevel the tile. I’m not sure what that is going to look like but most likely just a straight edge.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The company responded stated it’s very rare for two orders to be messed up for one customer. They seem to be willing to do something, but for some reason I do not believe they are able to recreate the magnolia color at this time in trim or field tile. Went back and picked up a textured jolly in a similar color. This seems to be the best solution, unless my tiler’s bevel job is more traditional.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Has your tiler seen the tile? It’s easy enough to bevel natural stone but a ceramic tile just exposes the white clay center... have him make one to show you before you go this route.

Glad fireclay is responding on a weekend- that’s promising. Minimally they should credit you the bullnose tiles.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Agreed. I like the roundness of the rodec, but they didn’t have the color I needed in store. I’ll order online I guess.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was planning to go higher previously but the clean edge of jolly looks better flush with good. I order the rodec as well to see.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

I'm so sorry this happened to you, and hope that they make good on your order.

• Ephma
    3 years ago

I hope you find a resolution you’re satisfied with. Your kitchen is going to look beautiful. I love your counter choices and your cabinets are a great color.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

Wow! I use Fireclay a lot in my projects but I've never seen a variation that dramatically different. Those are definitely two different colors, not "shades" of the same color, IMO.

I would definitely escalate this. Your photos are pretty hard to argue with.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all. I’ve heard only good things about this company here and that’s why I used them. This might be a recent QA issue from COVID, who knows. Now that I’m looking at the jolly up on the wall, flush with hood, this might actually be better than all my other idea with trim just above it. Hmm

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My only concern is the jolly creates a bigger gap than 1/16 spacers I’m going to use. Is this an issue?

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

I don’t think 1/16” is a big enough space/grout line with handmade tiles. I used 1/8” and honestly it should have been bigger for the best look.

• PRO
    Fireclay Tile
    3 years ago

Hi, Steph-- Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We absolutely understand your frustration and are committed to making sure you are happy with your order. A small percentage (~1%) of our customers experience challenges with color variation, which is at the low end for handmade artisan tile. We take all feedback seriously. Our Head of Support reached out to you over the weekend and we look forward to helping you finish your project :-)

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update: Someone at Fireclay reached out explained the current issue with this color. Magnolia is transparent color effected by the type of clay used to produce the tile. The trim on my original order was used from a different lot of clay. The clay they used to fire my field tile no longer exists, so that pretty much changes what is expected or tolerated for this color. They stated that this is not a issue with most colors, just the transparent produced glazed.

From Fire Clay: Magnolia is a transparent glaze applied on top of a white "primer" we call engobe. White, transparent glazes can exhibit more variation not because of the actual glaze but because of the color of the clay. We believe that the glaze is not the issue, it was the color of the clay and the raw materials that fired differently resulting in different "canvases". Unfortunately, sometimes that clay body color is so slight that it isn't obvious from the naked eye until color is applied to it. Your experience helped highlight some critical steps that our team needs to take to ensure customer satisfaction going forward.

Fireclay graciously provided options moving forward, but as it stands, that color is pretty much done. Hopefully they will update the samples going out and promo pics online. Cle tile has the same issue explained with special limited edition firings. That, it really doesn’t explain the QA issue I experienced.

• PRO
    Fireclay Tile
    3 years ago

Hi again, Steph - Glad you were able to connect with our Head of Support on the phone today. We stand behind every product and every order with our Maker's Guarantee which promises that if it's not right, we will make it right. We want your tile to be the most beautiful thing in your home and to last forever!

We look forward to hearing back from you on your decision of how you'd like to move forward. We are happy to refund you for your trim if you decide to keep the field tile and use a Schluter trim, or remake your entire order for you in an alternate color of your choice (lead time expedited of course!). And yes - to answer your question, we QA the order as a whole by pulling tile from different boxes. Thank you again for your feedback.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

Ah! That would explain it. Good that you got an answer.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

I took the liberty of looking up their spec sheet online which indicates their color variation scale. Magnolia (the color you ordered) is a V3, which means it's roughly somewhere in the middle of color variation from least to most. Regardless, they appear to be willing to make this right, so you should take them up on it.

I'm sure these COVID times has put a wrench into the production works--I know I'm having production issues in general with varying manufacturers. Not an excuse, but I've found my clients to be fairly flexible under the circumstances. Good luck!

• PRO
    Tracey Stephens Interior Design Inc
    3 years ago

Wow! Shocking color variation. Glad to hear they're going to help you out. So frustrating to lose time and effort on stuff like this. I've never had a problem with FireClay -- we love and use their tile often. Waterworks, however a different story -- complete nightmare.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just received my 2nd replacement/third order with Fireclay. I had to pick another color because of the recent color changes with my original choice, which was Magnolia (explanation on the reasons for the change above). After I was having difficulty choosing, a Fireclay Designer helped me pick another color, which was Frost. This is another translucent color which I was worried about.

I was warned that the color varies and might lean more grey than the sample, but it actually leaned away from grey. The sales person I was working with, went out of her way to check the order before shipping it out, and from what I could tell in pics it was good. It’s definitely different from the sample which worked better with my sage green cabinets.

I made a sample board with oyster gray grout. I’m thinking just install it and be done with it. It’s super white and not what I was going for. The sample is creamy off white grey.

On the positive side, this shade works better with my trim color and it’s probably better to go with a light shade for resale value. I will definitely paint my two uppers sage green to

tone all the white down.

Frost left, magnolia right

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s a shot on the back wall that gets less light. Magnolia left, frost right.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Throw out the magnolia sample, you are torturing yourself ;) The new tile is very pretty if a bit white. I know you’ve had a long road. As you said it does match the trim. On that, your door casings are crazy- Art Deco? Looks like it is going to be great.

Steph thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, built in 1943, in a traditional New Orleans neighborhood. Nothing in this room has been painted yet, but I already started painting three other rooms with a specific trim color. Fireclay did a great job matching the new trim to field tile. I understand there would be variation between the sample and production. So the sample I posted is Frost, not Magnolia and it’s different from its own sample. I have two mock-ups, one magnolia and the other frost.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The sample is actually Frost, which Is supposedly the color that I received. The order was again different than expectations, but this handmade so I should just be happy they were so flexible and produced a good order. It’s still useable and close, but am a bit disappointed because the Frost sample is better than what I got. I do like how it brightens my kitchen. Sorry no electricity currently, post ZETA.

• partim
    3 years ago

I have tile in my kitchen that had no bullnose option. We used a Schluter that matches the wall paint. Looks fine.

In one bathroom we had the same issue. Didn't bother with Schluter but painted the raw edge with latex satin wall paint. 15 years on, no problem.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update. I installed the 4x8 tile in frost, which Fireclay sent me. Frost is also crackled, but with little variation and the trim came out perfect this time with this color. Walls have not been painted yet.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Following. Love the 4x8

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, it’s a lot of white I know, but Fireclay didn’t have anything between Frost and magnolia.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Love it. Looks great. My dd is building. plan to share this with her.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s the other side. Trim and walls needs paint. That’s next.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Still deciding on window treatments

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

The tile looks great! This has been a long process for you, I bet you’re relieved to finally have it done.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Absolutely. Wall and trim color picked as well. Just need to start working on it. It’s not the run of the mill color choices, but I live in New Orleans, so it sort of fits.

• chispa
    3 years ago

It looks good and ties in with the color of the island counter.