SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlasollano54

Spanish colonial - help me update my (too dark) bedroom

carlasollano54
3 years ago

I have this wonderful primary bedroom with a wall-full of stained cabinetry, a golden accent wall and very dark bedframe and night-stands.

For awhile I loved the golden yellow wall, but now it feels so heavy. The other walls and ceiling are SW Alabaster. The dark beams are staying. The floor is reddish/brown brick, also staying. This room only gets natural light from the french doors (southern exposure).

The yellow chairs and table in front of the fireplace are going away. (to be replaced with....??? help...)

So, how to rejuvenate the space and make it less dark and heavy? I'm thinking about having all the cabinets painted a soft-white (maybe SW Alabaster, but in a satin finish so that wall will just read white) or perhaps whitewashed to allow some of the brown to come through. (Please comment on this). The bedroom -doors and the double doors to the bathroom are authentic old doors that I don't want to mess with.

I'll probably start with Alabaster on that headboard wall, just to remove the gold tone from my thought process. That's a fairly easy wall to repaint. But that wall of dark cabinets is so bossy that it affects any other paint choices (I see in photos how much orange that wood throws). I'd rather get that right without too much experimentation.

I've also considered painting the bedframe and night stands. I've lived with these for 8 years and I'm ready for a change up. I'm in Mexico where having painting done is fairly cheap.

Four pics, from different parts of the room. Colors are pretty accurate and so is the lighting.

And one inspiration photo showing a more restful color scheme (love the blue nightstands, barely visible unless you zoom in). And an orange cat because orange cats are the best.

Comments (5)