Trump still can not get his mask story straight.

deegw

Is it some kind of neurological tic? How hard can it be to say "Wear a mask" and then shut-up about it. Good Lord.

“The mask is not as important as the vaccine,” the president asserted, adding: “The mask, perhaps, helps.

Trump contradicts the C.D.C. chief’s testimony on masks and vaccines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/16/world/covid-coronavirus.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes&fbclid=IwAR3vHlZsuq5U6PscHFpJXUvC0n46RyG_DHmbfVYhg0LlX6dm-R28QKnYZsU#link-12e31d64

SaveComment18Like2
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barncatz

I wonder if he now believes "herd mentality" is the answer and he is trying to push the so-called Swedish model without having to come out and directly say that he favors that approach? Isn't that the model his new adviser advocates?

I mean, his remark last night seemed to indicate that to me, plus his maskless rallies.

1 Like Save    
Toby

Hey, I was thinking the same thing! ;)

I believe it's what he's wanted all along, which would explain not only his inaction on testing but his push for everything to open up. But to use his most devout supporters as sacrificial lambs at his rallies is psychopathic. I really do think he's mentally ill.

4 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Me three!!! His coronavirus rallies with no masks seem to be a theme. He is hoping to have the virus spread and is helping it along. Along with his apparently new plan of herd immunity. I would imagine he knows of the high numbers of deaths that would go along with this plan. Someone needed to point that out in one of the questions posed to him. I would like to hear his response to that. He apparently has no problems with the high death counts. Saving lives is not his agenda. He wants to have businesses fully open, stadiums packed.

3 Likes Save    
Toby

I think the actual words "herd mentality" might have been quietly spoken among staff, as in "We need herd mentality to get to herd immunity, Mr. President. Please help out by holding rallies." So Trump just said the wrong phrase last night.

Save    
numbersjunkie

On RMS tonight, she suggests its now the official US policy.

3 Likes Save    
maifleur03

I have believed since May that it was at least the unofficial policy. There seemed to be a clampdown on what was released to the news services about the second week.

Supposedly the National Guard here is very active in helping the various medical services. Since then very little has been stated other than they were active. On slow news days a feel good story about what they were doing would normally be shown or written about.

1 Like Save    
deegw

If we can have ten federal Benghazi investigations about four deaths why can't there be an investigation as to why we don't have a cohesive national plan to fight a pandemic that has resulted in 200k US deaths?

10 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

Speaking of investigations, i cant even imagine how many will be initiated if/when Trump leaves office - even if only to determine how this takeover of federal agencies occured and how to guard against it happening again.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

I heard on MSNBC today (can’t remember who) that if we had followed the German model re Covid, we’d have 140,000 fewer deaths. Most of this nightmare was preventable but for Trump.

Can you imagine how many deaths there would be by now if this happened in any of his first three years? I can’t fathom what will happen if Trump “wins.”

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

The mortality rate in Germany is 113 per million. In the US, it's 608. That is mismanagement on a massive scale.

5 Likes Save    
cattyles

Rachel’s show tonight was really good about this subject.

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

Herd immunity may not be possible with this virus if, for example, immunity after infection or vaccination is short lived. The virus then becomes cyclical or perhaps seasonal like the flu, only far more contagious and deadly.

That means we have to get back to controlling the spread , not promoting the spread, as trump and those with his "herd mentality" would have it. Herd immunity is not even worth discussing unless and until there is a vaccination that provides long term immunity.

Trump wants win an election at all costs and that means lives. So he wants people to send their little kiddos to school, open the bars because twenty and thirty year olds probably won't die from it, and instead of wearing masks, let the virus take it course. And oh look, the death rate is down now that seniors are hunkered down. And anyway if they catch it, so what, they are probably going to be croaking soon anyway.

1 Like Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Trump is all about optics — all about how things look. Everyone wearing masks shows that there is a virus around and Trump desperately wants no virus. In Trump logic, if we can’t see it, it’s not real.

5 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

In Trump logic, if we can’t see it, it’s not real.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's like he never learned object permanence as an infant

https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/object-permanence

3 Likes Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

I cant help but think people like that probably dont wash their hands after they go to the bathroom either. Its a conspiracy, there really arent germs in a bathroom.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

I checked Worldometer and it has Sweden at 580 deaths per million. Canada has 243. As jmm posted, US is 608. That Trump is following an unstated "herd death" approach makes sense. Trump just doesn't have the honesty of the Swedish health minister.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I was at a MN (mask mandate) grocery store last week and a Trump supporter neighbor from up the road complained to me for several minutes about the required mask and how he should have stayed in our state. (Gov. Mask mandate but Repubs trying to recall Gov. and Sup Ct denies he has authority to impose Covid safety measures.)

Just imagine how many more deaths we would have without the Governors.

1 Like Save    
deegw

I'd love a Trumpsplain for this. Do the fans support Trump's tepid mask leadership?

Save    
Toby

I'd like to know how Trump expects to encourage his "Don't tread on me" followers to vaccinate when they are refusing to even wear a mask.

Oh, maybe we'll see his "art of the deal" in action! You know, like he did for Mideast peace. I wonder which one's harder, brokering Mideast peace or convincing them to vaccinate.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bedrooms Bedtime Stories: Should You Get a Quilt, Duvet, Coverlet or Bedspread?
In this detailed guide, learn about the choices you have for covering your bed
Full Story
Kitchen Design Trending Now: 25 Kitchen Photos Houzzers Can’t Get Enough Of
Use the kitchens that have been added to the most ideabooks in the last few months to inspire your dream project
Full Story
Landscape Design Small Garden? You Can Still Do Bamboo
Forget luck. Having bamboo that thrives on a wee plot just takes planning, picking the right variety, and keeping runners in check
Full Story