Armed gangs ‘protecting property’ in wildfire evacuation zones

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Here come the vigilantes! Things are bad enough with much of the west coast on fire, but now unauthorized vigilantes--militia-types--are also roaming around, illegally confronting people at gunpoint while claiming they are enforcing the law.

---------------------------------

"Armed groups are patrolling wildfire evacuation zones in Oregon to “protect property” and stopping “individuals within the community”, police have said.

Clackamas County Sheriff Craig Roberts said at a press conference on Monday that police are seeing “a group of different individuals that are actually trying to protect property.”

[. . .]

First thing I’d ask them to do is please stop that. We have reached out to a number of them. If they see somebody suspicious, call us. Let us handle it. It is illegal to stop somebody at gunpoint.”

The sheriff explained that police are following up on reported incidents but that they were often unfounded and were people assisting the community or going back to their own homes.

Many of the people we have seen going into these areas are actually going in to get another load of their personal belongings,” he said.

The sheriff explained that the department had responded to 330 calls for service over the past week in the evacuation area, a 400 per cent increase on the week before.

He urged people to continue to report suspicious behaviour to the police, expressing concern that a situation could end “tragically” due to an “overreaction” by armed groups.

The last thing I want to see is something tragically happen because somebody is overreacting to something they believe is criminal and it’s not," he said.

Numerous wildfires have burned in Oregon’s forested valleys and along the coast, causing mass evacuations. Oregon officials have not released an exact death toll but at least eight fatalities have been reported.

[. . .]

This years fire season has already devastated the west coast with California also having experienced wildfires advancing unprecedentedly.

Experts have warned the fires, which have long occurred in the area, have become more frequent and more intense as a result of climate change."

https://news.yahoo.com/armed-gangs-protecting-property-wildfire-180113285.html

---------------------

Our hearts go out to everyone affected by the wildfires, but these gun-owners eager to find an excuse to use their guns--they can make people nervous. No govt. authority has authorized them to stop homeowners at gunpoint and treat them as though they were looters, but the self-appointed gun-owners seem to believe that is their duty, even if they don't have training or know what they are doing. After all, they have guns and everybody else is supposed to obey them--because they said so!

Kate

SaveComment9Like4
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

The sheriff explained that the department had responded to 330 calls for service over the past week in the evacuation area, a 400 per cent increase on the week before.

He urged people to continue to report suspicious behaviour to the police, expressing concern that a situation could end “tragically” due to an “overreaction” by armed groups.

The last thing I want to see is something tragically happen because somebody is overreacting to something they believe is criminal and it’s not," he said.

Sound advice.

Question: How come you characterize these folks as "armed gangs"? (your OP). The police said: "Armed groups are patrolling wildfire evacuation zones in Oregon to “protect property” and stopping “individuals within the community”, police have said.

and

a group of different individuals that are actually trying to protect property.

Save    
Toby

The answer to your question is in the link.

1 Like Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I did not characterize the armed ones as "armed gangs." My source did.

When I am quoting a source (notice the quotation marks), why do you assume those are my words or that the quotation is really a paraphrase even though quotation marks are included?

Kate

3 Likes Save    
bry911

I just heard that a 17 year old black man just killed a staffer for omar's competition. She needs to resign, now! It might have been two people shot. I haven't heard the details.

Then maybe you should refrain from commenting until you do "hear the details."

The shooting happened Monday, there were two people shot, both shooting victims were black, but I have not seen the race of the shooter. They were at a convenience store near their home with other people, police have not commented on whether the two men shot were even the targets or not. The young man wasn't working at the time, nor had he worked that day. The killing was not politically motivated.

So can you tell us why Omar should resign?

3 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

And will someone explain to me what this has to do with my OP which is about armed vigilante groups confronting homeowners in the areas threatened by wildfires?

Can we all stay on topic?

Kate

4 Likes Save    
bob_cville

> Can we all stay on topic?

That's not how deflection works. So apparently not.

9 Likes Save    
maifleur03

The patrollers reminds me of after Katrina. And the people who trying to escape New Orleans some of which were never found.

From a comment a friend made the police are required to visit the site of all of those supposed suspicious people which is keeping them too busy. Too many shifts or too long of shifts makes people tired. When people are tired is when either they are hurt or they hurt someone.

1 Like Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
dublinbay z6 (KS)

According to heri's link above,

"The Clackamas County Peace Officers Association, the union that represents law enforcement in Clackamas County, released a statement Saturday afternoon calling the video “sensationalized,” and said he was “speaking freely with a community member about the community’s understandable fear of looting and other criminal acts as our County burns.”

“But let’s not get distracted by a single, sensationalized, five-minute video of one of the hundreds of first responders working around the clock in our County,” the statement said. “We need to fight the actual fires that are burning in our County. Let’s not stoke unnecessary flames.”

The statement also said they have a “surprising number of criminals looking to capitalize, including attempts at looting evacuated homes and properties.” The union did not quantify that number, or explain if it was higher than typical during evacuation scenarios.

The union’s statement made no mention of the second video of Nikolai, in which he appears to coach militia members on their ability to use force. Nor did the statement discuss armed people who have confronted media and community members in Clackamas County."

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2020/09/12/oregon-wildfires-antifa-video-clackamas-county-deputy-administrative-leave/5782424002/

----------------------

If things are not already bad enough due to the wildfires, now the inhabitants have all this additional confusion to deal with.

Stay tuned for any updates that may clarify this tragic situation.

Kate

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Disaster Prep & Recovery How to Protect Your Home From Wildfire
Find out how to fortify your property and protect yourself during wildfires
Full Story
Community Summer 2018 California Wildfires: How You Can Help
Want to donate to fire victims in California? Here are groups assisting people affected by the 2018 wildfires
Full Story
Houzz TV A Modern-Rustic Family Home Designed to Survive Wildfires
Watch how an architect found on Houzz designed a fire-wise home that embraces the outdoors in eastern Washington
Full Story