NYC Mayor to furlough himself and 400+ staffers amid financial crunch

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Wonder how many other large cities will have to do the same.

----------------

"New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced he and hundreds of other city employees will go on furlough for a week in an effort to save money.

[. . .]

The city is facing a $9bn two-year revenue shortfall resulting from the economic shutdown in March and April.

The New York Times reported that the furlough will affect nearly 500 mayoral staff members and generate $860,000 in savings for the year.

Mr de Blasio said that his office had no plans to implement pay cuts for himself or other staff members.

[. . .]

Mr de Blasio's salary is $258,750, which means a week-long furlough will cost him nearly $5,000.

"We have to make tough choices to move this city forward and keep our budget balanced," Mr de Blasio said during a press briefing.

The mayor’s office will face a 12 per cent decrease in its budget this year as a result of the economic shutdown.

“We’ve already had to make some tough cuts that have affected this city and the services we provide. We’re tried everything we can to stop from those cuts becoming worse. We don’t want to take away jobs from public employees, we don’t want to take away services from communities that need [them]," Mr de Blasio said."

https://news.yahoo.com/nyc-mayor-furlough-himself-over-145102836.html

-------------

It is hard to imagine that life will ever return back to "normal"--whatever that is. Certainly not the "greatness" Trump imagined in his campaign slogan (MAGA)--but it would be nice if we could return to a "greatness" different than what Trump has in mind.

Kate

SaveComment4Like2
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lulu Smith

Somehow I think that deBlasio will manage without 1 weeks salary more than the less well paid support staff. I don't think he's hurting given his real estate earnings.

"Hizzoner reported earning $252,139 in 2019 [...].

Both [deBlasio and wife] received a $500 tax credit by claiming their son, Dante, 23, as a dependent also living at Gracie Mansion. They also claimed donating $1,260 to nine charities and $1,375 worth of clothes to the poor."

"In 2018, the mayor only claimed a $242 loss on the property but did collect an extra $8,650 in rent.

De Blasio’s former primary residence, also on 11th Street, earned him and his wife another $54,000 in rent [...]"

https://nypost.com/2020/04/15/de-blasio-scores-nearly-6g-tax-return-from-park-slope-home/

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I don't believe anyone was arguing that De Blasio would suffer financially. Not sure to what you are referring--but you seem to have missed the point of the OP.

You would have preferred that he cut public employee jobs or cut services from communities in order to keep the city's budget balanced?

Kate

Save    
zmith

I think furloughs are a common budget-saving tactic used by municipalities. I know it was used locally in 2009-2010. I wouldn't be surprised if it was used again next year when the budget shortfall from the shutdown really takes effect.

Save    
maifleur03

It is being used here in most city departments that do not do direct maintenance of the city. For now it is only for a week. I was warned when I called about another matter that the spousal pension which comes with a weird guaranteed increase might be reduced from 3% of the base to 1% or even done away with. It was from a buyout plan that any amendment must be agreed to by all the unions and departments or a court order.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Call How Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story