Why is the Houzz default avatar a man?

tozmo1

Both women and men are members of Houzz, so why is the default avatar a man? It's always jarring to me to see a female name and a male avatar. Why not a female? Why not gender neutral? Why not both? Why not the Houzz logo? Why an image at all?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Current

SaveComment17Like1
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

My wife has short hair and my son has long hair. A shadow image probably wouldn’t indicate their genders well to a stereotyping reader. If gender matters why does neither your user name nor picture let on which you are?

3 Likes Save     Thanked by tozmo1
miss lindsey (She/Her)(8a)

If you took my profile pic and made it a silhouette could you tell which gender I identify as? Or which sex I am?

The avatar is gender neutral because all things are for all genders.

In other words, there’s no such thing as boy stuff and girl stuff.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by tozmo1
foodonastump

which gender I identify as

You need to take a break from this place ML! 😂

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (She/Her)(8a)

Lolol

Save    
elvis

Why is the Houzz default avatar a man?

Um, it's not.

Save     Thanked by tozmo1
maifleur03

Only a man if you have it in your mind what it is. By the way in some countries those suggestions that Houzz has websites in would be offensive to at least part of the population.

roxsol

I thought it was a toilet seat!

12 Likes Save     Thanked by tozmo1
tozmo1

Thanks all, for your responses. A few answers below:

@foodonastump If gender matters why does neither your user name nor picture let on which you are? Gender shouldn't matter but there are many preconceived notions, stereotypes and unconscious biases related to gender so I prefer to avoid those by keeping my online presence gender unidentified to avoid such.

@maifleur03 ...in some countries those suggestions that Houzz has websites in would be offensive to at least part of the population. Tell me more! I want to learn. Which countries, to whom would it be offensive and why?

Thanks!

Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

There is no reason why the default avatar could not be representing a woman with short hair.

1 Like Save     Thanked by tozmo1
maifleur03

tozmo you do, I hope, know that there are some religious groups even in the US that believe that a woman's hair especially after marriage should only be seen after marriage or placed in a bun after/at puberty, Jewish, Anti-baptists, Muslim to name just a few. Your picture with the hair showing would be offensive.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

There is no reason why the default avatar could not be representing a woman with short hair.

Yes, and the seat appears to be down, making it more likely the avatar is depicting a woman.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by tozmo1
elvis

Boy, ain't that the truth! No sexism intended.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Girl, that’s for sure.

Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

It looks like this thread is going down the toilet.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Person, woman, man.

tozmo1

@maifleur03 Of course! Should have thought of that. All the more reason to have the circle on shoulders or just the Houzz logo in case some folks think the current one is a woman with short hair.

Save    
Mimou-GW

I'm pretty sure someone left the seat up.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Vacation Homes Houzz Tour: Childhood Memories Shape a Lakeside Cottage
A Canadian man couldn’t salvage his grandfather’s cottage, but he keeps the family connection alive with a new structure in the same space
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: A Revolutionary Renovation in Connecticut
A 200-year-old farmhouse retains elements of its past, like reclaimed wood, yet feels decidedly modern. Yoga, anyone?
Full Story
Living Rooms Below My Houzz: An Inviting Basement With Industrial Edge
Reconfiguring a cramped, damp basement opens up a new world of sleek, functional spaces
Full Story