ICE operating on women???

Annie Deighnaugh

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54160638

The complaint condemns the practices and conditions at the private Irwin County Detention Center in Georgia.

It is based on the allegations of a whistleblower, a nurse identified as Dawn Wooten.

She worked at the centre, which houses immigrants detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

As part of her complaint, filed on Monday, Ms Wooten expressed concerns about the high number of hysterectomies performed on Spanish-speaking women at the centre.

The nurse said detained women told her they did not fully understand why they had to get a hysterectomy - an operation involving the removal of all or part of the uterus.

The complaint also alleges "jarring medical neglect" during the coronavirus pandemic, including a refusal to test detainees with symptoms and fabricating medical records.

"I became a whistleblower, now I'm a target," Ms Wooten said at a press conference on Tuesday. But, "I'll be a target anytime", she said, rather than staying a part of what she called an "inhumane" system...

The complaint also said that Ms Wooten and other nurses were alarmed by the "rate at which the hysterectomies have occurred" at the centre.

Ms Wooten alleged that one doctor removed the wrong ovary from a young detainee and that "everybody he sees has a hysterectomy".

"We've questioned among ourselves like, goodness he's taking everybody's stuff out…That's his speciality, he's the uterus collector," she said in the complaint.

One detainee, interviewed by Project South, likened the centre to "an experimental concentration camp", adding: "It was like they're experimenting with our bodies."

SaveComment34Like
Comments (34)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur03

I saw that and it took me back to a couple of decades and longer although I am aware that tying tubes has been the primary method since that time. Easy enough to do given the vagueness of some medical permissions with the statement about any care deemed necessary which was how the uterus was removed from so many women all over the world in the past.

Save    
dandyfopp

CORDOVA, TN—Praying that the Lord Almighty would help her understand the recent whistleblower reports about Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s treatment of migrant detainees, conservative evangelical woman Melissa Carson reportedly asked God Tuesday to give her strength to incorporate forced hysterectomies into her belief system. “Lord, show me how the forced removal of the uterus from multiple imprisoned women is evidence of our salvation by grace alone,” said the devout evangelical woman, scanning her Bible for a verse or two that might offer a reason for why ICE-affiliated physicians were performing hysterectomies on detained women, many of whom did not speak English and were not given information or choice about the procedures. “I know I’m asking an awful lot of you, Lord, but my religion teaches me that all life is sacred, and although I know you move in mysterious ways, I confess I am confused as to how forced hysterectomies fit into that. You are just testing me, Lord, and I know that, but I am going to need a little bit of divine help to understand this one.” At press time, Carson was praising the Lord for his guidance after remembering that the hysterectomies were completely justified because President Donald Trump was a divine being simply carrying out God’s will.

4 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

ICE deported a key witness in investigation of sexual assault and harassment at El Paso detention center

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/15/ice-deport-witness-sexual-assault/

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

I was just thinking of posting about this topic. It's horrifying.

Here's the article I read - pretty similar wording:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/experimental-concentration-camp-women-detention-213229025.html

Save    
sleeperblues(3-wisonsin)

Deja vu to nazi Germany

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Yes sleeperblues...in more ways than one....

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Let's see how a trump supporter might spin this...this is what the dems want! Free health care for immigrants!!

Let's see if the administration has the nerve to send them a bill for the procedure!! Make them pay!!!

Save    
maifleur03

Similar has been done to women in the US in the past so while shocking it is not something that has not been done here before. For the ones dismissing the women because they were poor they should not forget the "the up and back in three" which could happen to their descendants.

https://www.thoughtco.com/u-s-governments-role-sterilizing-women-of-color-2834600

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

maifleur, I'm sorry, I don't get the reference "up and back in three".

Save    
maifleur03

It is a reference to families that make money then by the third generation the family is poor again.

Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Kitchenwitch111

So much for the sanctity of the uterus

3 Likes Save    
bob_cville

If someone hadn't poofed my thread on 14 signs common to early fascist regimes, we could see which box was ticked by "horrific medical experiments on political detainees." Although that might well be beyond an early sign of a fascist regime, and instead be a sign of an active full blown fascist regime.

Too bad some fascist sympathizers decided they needed to stop people from seeing that thread.

10 Likes Save    
Moxie(Z4 St. Paul, MN)

Forced hysterectomy is the perfect tool for xenophobic misogynists. Sterilize the woman and cause her significant physical pain with the cover of "necessary medical procedure" if anyone bothers to ask questions.

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Un - real.

Save    

Bob - there's nothing to stop you from re-posting that image under a different title. There's no limit either...just sayin'

Save    
jmm1837

Post it again Bob. I was just warming up on that one ;-)

1 Like Save    
Gizmo

This may be Medicaid/Medicare fraud.

Not sure if it makes it any better....evil vs greed?

It is unclear if Amin is financially benefiting from the procedures. The gynecologist was once a co-defendant in a lawsuit
in which he and other doctors were ordered to pay more than half a
million dollars to resolve allegations that they caused false claims to
be submitted to Medicare and Medicaid. The nature of the doctor’s
current agreement with ICE and ICDC is also unclear. ICE did not respond
to Prism’s request for comment regarding the doctor, and the
gynecologist’s receptionist told Prism he is not commenting to the media
at this time.

Save    
AITG

Save    
Iris GW

hysterectomy = no anchor babies, hmmm?

2 Likes Save    
Moxie(Z4 St. Paul, MN)

If forced birth control were the only reason, tubal ligations and vasectomies would be better choices. Both are cheaper, safer and less expensive than hysterectomies. Of course, there's no plausible deniability with those. Someone has to be making money off the "medical care." Doctors seldom operate gratis.

2 Likes Save    

'Cheaper' may be the operative term here - no pun intended. Presumably this Dr. is getting paid by our gov't for his work...

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

My first thought was the money. I cant see any other reason.

Save    
bob_cville

In the eyes of Republicans: To make it so that reviled, less-than-human, criminals cannot have more children who we would doubtless have to apprehend and deport in the future. And to punish them for having the temerity to come here illegally. And to "send a message" to frighten others from whatever s---hole country they come from.

To me: Seem like crimes against humanity for the doctor, and all who concocted and support this scheme.

2 Likes Save    
socalnolympia

Have they set up a GoFundMe page?

Save    
palisades_

I hope a full and thorough investigation will be conducted, and it would not be the first time eugenic controversy happens in America.

Deja vu to nazi Germany

The Nazi carried out its eugenic program, but it borrowed the practice and method from the state of California which was at the forefront of forced sterilization. See the CNN article below, and watch the embedded video.

“The history of forced sterilization in the US dates back more than a century

"This could be seen as a recent episode in a much longer trajectory of sterilization abuse and reproductive injustice," says Alexandra Minna Stern, a professor and associate dean at the University of Michigan.

Indiana passed the world's first eugenics sterilization law in 1907. And from there, Stern says, 31 other US states followed suit.

"Under those laws, about 60,000 people were sterilized in procedures that we would qualify today as being compulsory, forced, involuntary, and under the justifications that the people who were being sterilized were unfit to reproduce," she says.

The laws, which led to officials ordering sterilizations of people they deemed "feeble-minded" or "mentally defective," later became models for Nazi Germany.

Stern directs the Sterilization and Social Justice Lab, a project that's dedicated to reconstructing stories behind the sterilizations that occurred across the US.

"Women and people of color increasingly became the target, as eugenics amplified sexism and racism," Stern wrote in a recent article for The Conversation detailing the lab's research.

Patterns varied from state to state, Stern says. In California, people of Mexican descent were disproportionately sterilized. And in North Carolina, Black women were disproportionately targeted.“

North Carolina governor Bev Perdue had publicly apologized and provided compensation for those who were forced sterilized, but the leaders in California government have continued to ignore to offer any compensation to their people, sort of waiting for them to die - see the video.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/16/us/ice-hysterectomy-forced-sterilization-history/index.html

Save    
how2girl

Waiting for the pro life brigade to chime in...

Save    
maifleur03

I did wonder what type of hysterectomy was done. There are several including the type where there is a cut down the middle of the abdomen that can take months to heal. It may not just be money but a desire to inflict pain and suffering on women both physical and mental.

Save    
how2girl

It’s about inflicting control over women.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Stay away from the tabloids.

Save    
bleusblue2

^^^faithful to the end

Save    
elvis

Bizarre story. If the adage "you can't make this stuff up" holds true, they better investigate the heck out of this. Ugh.

OTOH, it's the kind of stuff one sees in supermarket tabloids too, so we'll see.

Save    
bob_cville

The modus operandi seems to be to quickly deport the women so that they cannot testify about what was done to them.

Save    
Gizmo

lurker111

Stay away from the tabloids.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

1 Like Save    
AITG

...and those that can will be trampled by lemmings.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping How to Prepare Your Home and Family for an Ice Storm
Ride out an ice storm by having a plan, stocking up and avoiding hazards
Full Story
Historic Homes Madam C.J. Walker’s Villa Lewaro: A Beacon for Women
The New York mansion of America’s first self-made female millionaire holds out the hope of success through enterprise
Full Story
Most Popular 11 Nominees for the ‘She Shed’ Hall of Fame
These special sanctuaries let busy women get away from it all without leaving the backyard
Full Story