Football, will you watch this year?

Ann

Did you watch the game Thursday night? I don't watch too much football, but my husband is an avid football fan. He was watching a TV in a different part of our house last night (a different room from where I was). Hearing quite a bit about football on the news today, I happened to remember to ask my husband if he watched last night. He said a firm no. He said he doesn't plan to watch at all this season. Kind of surprised, I asked if he even planned to watch the Broncos. He said no. When I asked why, he said it's just way too political this year and he isn't interested in how invested they've gotten in all that. He watched for football, not political messages or lectures.

SaveComment112Like1
Comments (112)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

I'll watch the Packers play the Viqueens this Sunday and see if I can stomach the political posturing. If it turns me off, I'll turn it off. Easy squeezy.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

On the one hand I wish entertainment wouldn’t be SO political, on the other hand I think it’s sad that someone would stop supporting a sport just because players support racial equality.

15 Likes Save    
dadoes

I've never previously watched football games, no reason to start now.

Save    
AITG

If it involves a ball, I'm generally uninterested.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Have not watched any sport for a couple of years. My husband wanted it at surround sound level and I was his channel changer. He also did not want to watch commercials. If I would watch a sport it would be soccer but with a Spanish announcer. They can make the dullest play sound more exciting that it really was by the way they use their voice inflections.

3 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

I haven't watched football for the last 40 or so years, so no, I won't be watching this year.

Except I may just watch the beginning to applaud those who kneel.

4 Likes Save    
Ann

FOAS, maybe you're looking at BLM in terms of the words and he's looking at a massive BLM display at a game as the violent organization that is burning down city after city in our country. There are certainly a couple perspectives of "BLM". The words - fine. The organization is killing black people and burning black owned businesses at quite a rapid pace,

Football is football and should stay away from politics.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"Except I may just watch the beginning to applaud those who kneel."

I think this comment makes the point of this thread very clear.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Ann, you can blame the violence and destruction but we all know that white people from the president on down have been having a fit since Colin set down his first peaceful knee.

14 Likes Save    
AITG

"Football is football and should stay away from politics."

Don't know if you've noticed, but noting is off limits anymore in regard to what can be politicized and what can't.

Those days are gone.

7 Likes Save    
elvis

If I would watch a sport it would be soccer but with a Spanish announcer. They can make the dullest play sound more exciting that it really was by the way they use their voice inflections.

You have a point, Mai. They even make soap operas sound exciting!

2 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (She/Her)(8a)

Professional sports was the only job left where the employees have an “owner” and that owner can compel them to exhibit specific political viewpoints, ie standing at attention for national anthems.

No employer should have that power over their employees, and Colin Karpernick’s gesture of protest displayed how much he respects the United States of America.

(Edited for typos)

8 Likes Save    
Nana H

How dare they screw up my leisure time with their selfish concerns!

Those athletes are every bit as entitled to voice their concerns as anyone else. Their bodies and skills are not just for our entertainment as if they were gladiators. They may be football players delivering entertaiment to the comfortable and privileged a few days a week but when they leave that field they are just young black men worried about the same issues all young black men have to worry about. Young black men with little boys they have to have the " talk" with. Young black men who know the other side of the story.

10 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

I'm proud of the athletes who have and are taking a stand. Very proud.

10 Likes Save    
huachuma

It seems that fans want to cheer the gladiators on and celebrate their physical prowess, but they don't care to hear their voices if they're not in agreement with their own opinions.

I've found that the older I get the less interested I become in college or pro sports. I'll watch my "favorite" team occasionally if I'm doing nothing else, but I don't plan my weekends around games like i once did. I think I even cleaned the bathroom during one Vikings telecast last year...

I believe I remember some sports official say when it became clear things needed to be halted due to the virus that even with fewer games and a shortened playoff schedule this season would NOT go down with an asterisk.

Probably wishful thinking...

2 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Did you watch the game Thursday night?

No. Why would I? The team I like to watch hasn't had their opening game yet.

2 Likes Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

The last time I watched football was when I was a freshman at university, and the freshman were required to go to at least one football game. Rice Stadium held 70,000 people (the university only had 3,000 students when I was there), and so the stadium was mostly empty except when large schools such as LSU, UT, or A&M played there, and Rice made a lot of money selling tickets to fans of those schools. At the one game I went to, I sat in the student section, which was quite large and on the 50 yard line, but I was high enough up that I was unable to hear what the cheerleaders were saying, as no one chanted along with them.

I abhor the sound of football crowds (or any sports crowds for that matter), and I always mute the TV if any sports news comes on. The announcers are extremely annoying - worse than the crowds.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

No television so football is a moot point.

Even if I had a TV, I wouldn't be watching football -- too violent for me.

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

"He was shot in the chest, arm and again in the leg during his retreat but refused to let the colors touch the ground. William Harvey Carney with the saved flag, using only a cane after a long recovery; When another bullet caused a grazing wound to his head, Carney still refused to let the flag go."

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/despite-several-wounds-former-slave-william-carney-never-let-flag-touch-ground-becoming-first-ever-african-american-moh-recipient.html#:~:text=He%20was%20shot%20in%20the%20chest%2C%20arm%20and,Carney%20still%20refused%20to%20let%20the%20flag%20go.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Ann
foodonastump

Few times in its history has the star-spangled banner held so much significance as it did to William Carney at that moment. The flag represented Carney’s freedom as only a former slave could appreciate, as well as the unity of a nation embroiled in a civil war.

So back then the flag represented freedom for a black man. Today it represents a nation that many black people feel doesn’t treat them with equality. I guess the flag means different things to different people at different times.

9 Likes Save    
bob_cville

Was Mr Carney a football player? No? Then why is that relevant to a posting about football?

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Actually, what has the flag really got to do with it either?

6 Likes Save    
paprikash

No.

Save    
steve2416

I'm like Dadoes, don't watch sports. I do make an exception for tennis on a rainy day.

Save    
bfox254

Mr. Ann is free to deny himself football Sunday as his own form of peaceful protest or, just skip the first few minutes of the broadcast and watch the game. Really not a big deal.

Save    
soupgirl53

How odd! Politics are important enough to consider relocating to a red state but are highly offensive if they consume a few minutes of a football game!

10 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I'll watch football the same way I've always watched football - the final 3 games of the season, 2 playoffs and the Super Bowl. Of course that's assuming it gets that far as the virus may win in the end.

1 Like Save    
steve2416

I might see my first Superbowl ever because although invited to parties I've always been backpacking that month. I'll probably be here this year because I don't see flights at the price I like. I still won't attend large get-togethers.

Save    
Bunny

I love football. Go Niners! But I can't imagine how they're going to pull it off this year with no bubble and all the physical contact on the field. I watched the beginning of the Thursday night game, just because it was football and to see how they'd handle the opening. Sometimes we sing Lift Every Voice and Sing in my church. Anyway, I loved seeing the players link arms in unity. The boos from the stands were disgusting.

4 Likes Save    
olliesmom

Play ball, not politics. No way will we be watching this year.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I'm proud of the stand taken by the players, but I have no interest in watching the game. Never have, never will.

Kate

3 Likes Save    

“Shut up and entertain me, you’re not paid to think.”

8 Likes Save    
Ann

"Ann, you can blame the violence and destruction but we all know that white people from the president on down have been having a fit since Colin set down his first peaceful knee."

I have despised the practice since Colin set down his first disrespectful knee! My feelings haven't waivered. Again, different perspectives, FOAS.

4 Likes Save    
Ann

"I guess the flag means different things to different people at different times."

You think? :(

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Utah doesn't have a pro football team. Maybe just basketb?

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Of course I'm watching...I'm a Chiefs fan and Patrick Mahomes is their QB!!!!

I was busy grilling chicken wings during the pregame so didn't see the anthem but a friend told me the Texans stayed in the locker room and only one Chief player knelt. I did see the show of unity a few minutes later and didn't have a problem with it at all. All of the players and coaches of both teams lined up and locked arms. It wasn't very well organised though.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Taking a knee during the National Anthem disrespectful.....going to get a beer, talking, wearing your MAGA hat all good.

9 Likes Save    
sprtphntc7a

Alicia Keys ^^ wow! what a beautiful voice!!!

missed thursday game but will be watching tomorrow as my Eagles take the field at 1:00!

would not miss it!!!

#GOBIRDS

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

Love Alicia; however, I don’t believe the black national anthem needed to be performed. There is only ONE national anthem for the USA,

5 Likes Save    
Nana H

sprtphntc, my son is a die hard Eagle fan, I mean over the top die hard. He has both the offical" a way" and "home" shirts which he faithfully wears as appropriate. My DDL even proposed to him ( yes her to him) on the Jumbotron during a home Eagles game! She knows her man !

3 Likes Save    

And yet Take Me Out to the Ballgame is faithfully (some would argue religiously) performed at every seventh inning stretch and post-9/11 we were obliged to hear God Bless America at every sporting event for years, maybe still, regardless of our religious or political persuasion.

There seems to be plenty of room for more than one musical interlude in sport.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Not if it's "them". Systemic racism/bigotry will never go away until it is acknowledged.

1 Like Save    
AITG

Bigots don't have to fight back when it isn't acknowledged, right?

1 Like Save    
paprikash

I never watch NASCAR but I think we have one flag — the Stars and Stripes.

if the inference by the holier than thou hypocrites is that I’m a bigot, I most certainly am NOT. No one in my family or circle of friends is a racist either systemic or otherwise. We are our own mini melting pot. It seems like many of you have the wrong kind of people around you. I do not think the USA is this racist cesspool the dems keep pushing. Do we have bad apples? Probably a bushel but that is not what the majority of us or our great Country are about. Do some whites hate blacks and do some blacks hate whites? Absolutely - but that doesn’t make the USA the toilet many of you are making us out to be.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Ann
AITG

"Do we have bad apples? Probably a bushel "

You are supporting them.

Save    
paprikash

No, I’m not. My house is clean. We should all be responsible for ourselves. Clean up your own house.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Ann
maifleur03

Cesspool or people living in equality???? Perhaps it should be pushed for.

Save    
AITG

Donald is a worse threat to this country than covid19 and you are supporting him.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

That is your political view — not mine. You are supporting a nut

1 Like Save    
AITG

Because he wears a mask?

lol

Right.

1 Like Save    
Toby

paprikash

I never watch NASCAR but I think we have one flag — the Stars and Stripes.

That's not what I asked. The Confederate flag did fly at NASCAR and it was banned. Is that cancel culture? Should we only fly the U.S. flag at NASCAR just like we should only play the National Anthem at the NFL?

I didn't know 'Lift Every Voice and Sing' was called the Black National Anthem. Alicia Keyes sang it live in the pre-game and twenty minutes later the National Anthem was played. I didn't know the rich history of that song, which is our shared American history, just as the National Anthem is. It was first performed by black schoolchildren in 1900 to celebrate Lincoln's birthday.

Does that change your opinion that the song didn't need to be performed?

paprikash

Love Alicia; however, I don’t believe the black national anthem needed to be
performed. There is only ONE national anthem for the USA,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/09/10/nfl-lift-every-voice-black-national-anthem/

5 Likes Save    
elvis

Nana H

How dare they screw up my leisure time with their selfish concerns!

Those athletes are every bit as entitled to voice their concerns as anyone else. Their bodies and skills are not just for our entertainment as if they were gladiators.

I've often compared them to gladiators, and I'm not alone in that. Sure, they're entitled. On their own time. They are, in fact, there just for our entertainment. That's the job.

Maybe my POV is different though, since we own our NFL team, unlike all the others.

2 Likes Save    

Sure, they're entitled. On their own time.

Very negotiable, and depends on management.

Save    
elvis

The beauty of being the only publicly-owned NFL team.

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Gladiators were usually slaves or prisoners. That you also make a point of noting you own the team, and that their opinions should be expressed on their own time, it sure sounds as if you feel the players are your possessions to control.

8 Likes Save    

The beauty of being the only publicly-owned NFL team.

From Wiki:

Green Bay Packers, Inc. is the official name of the publicly held nonprofit corporation that owns the Green Bay Packers football franchise of the National Football League (NFL).

The Packers are the only publicly owned franchise in the NFL.[1] Rather than being the property of an individual, partnership, or corporate entity, they are held as of 2016 by 360,760 stockholders. No one is allowed to hold more than 200,000 shares,[2] which represents approximately four percent of the 5,011,558 shares currently outstanding.[3] It is this broad-based community support and non-profit structure[4] which has kept the team in Green Bay for over a century in spite of being the smallest market in all of North American professional sports.

Does not negate the fact that management makes the decisions.

Save    
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

I was an interested fan in the past; an occasional watcher over the last few years. Now I'm not interested at all.

If I feel a need to be lectured, I'll call Rent-A-Scold. In the meantime, I'll give football a miss this year.

3 Likes Save    
bfox254

Good to see the Eagles love here.

Fly Eagles Fly

1 Like Save    

[After America's entrance into World War I, Major League Baseball games often featured patriotic rituals, such as players marching in formation during pregame military drills and bands playing patriotic songs. During the seventh-inning stretch of Game One of the 1918 World Series, the band erupted into "The Star-Spangled Banner." The Cubs and Red Sox players faced the centerfield flag pole and stood at attention. The crowd, already on their feet, began to sing along and applauded at the end of the song.

After the war (and after the song was made the national anthem in 1931), the song continued to be played at baseball games, but only on special occasions like opening day, national holidays, and World Series games.] (Emphasis mine)

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/22150/why-do-we-sing-national-anthem-sporting-events

Looks like the customs around etiquette with regard to the Star Spangled Banner at sports events have always been evolving. Rightfully so.

It also looks like sports has always been ripe for politicizing. After all, the USA entering WWI was (and still is) controversial and there was not a consensus of opinion by any means. Yet here we see reported military drills by players and the performing of rousing patriotic tunes at a strictly civilian event that was purely for entertainment—baseball—despite the unavoidable fact that many people in the stands would have been opposed to the United States entering that war.

It’s disingenuous to pretend that sports is and always has been apolitical. Nothing could be further from the truth and we should all know that.

1 Like Save    

paprikash

3 hours ago

No, I’m not. My house is clean. We should all be responsible for ourselves. Clean up your own house.

———

Going to start cleaning out the people’s house in November. Won’t be completed until January 2021 though and who knows how long it will take to get the stench out.

4 Likes Save    
paprikash

Enjoy your hate

eta I really thought BHO was an awful CIC but “stench” would be over the top for me, Miss L

2 Likes Save    

If you have love for the people of the US, you want the criminal grifter and his crew out of the White House.

How people have died because of Trump's narcissistic incompetence?

His presidency will go down in history for his misrule, disrespect for the Constitution and US law, and disregard for the safety of US residents.

12 Likes Save    

Stench is the correct word for what the Trump crew is doing to the reputation of the United States and the dignity of the White House.

Sometimes when we are living with an odour for too long we stop smelling it. The reactions of other world leaders to the Trumps should tell Americans who are paying attention all they need to know, even if they are experiencing olfactory fatigue.

2 Likes Save    
sleeperblues(3-wisonsin)

Back on topic, yup I watched most of Thursday night and I will be watching a taping of the Green Bay game tomorrow. Plan on going kayaking in the morning, so will have to tape the game. I missed the beginning of the game on Thursday but was disgusted by the booing racists in KC.

3 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

I don’t like football so won’t be watching. I do hope the Liberal Elites continue to inject politics into sports though. Whether people agree with the message or not, they do not like to be force fed during sports. So, I hope they keep it up as it’s just further pushing people towards Trump. It’s free publicity!

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

" it’s just further pushing people towards Trump"

Got ant any facts to back that up or is or just wishful thinking? Mind you questions asking Trump supporters for supporting facts are pretty much rhetorical lately.

2 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

My facts are in listening to people complain.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Oh ..OK

5 Likes Save    
elvis

Woohoo! Packers bested the ViQueens, 43-34!

2 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Elvis, how can that be? The latest polls had it ViQueens 43 and Packers 34. Do you have proof? A link? Hahaha

1 Like Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Sheesh, what in the world are you talking about. I don’t know a football team from a basket ball team. I sometimes watch soccer or golf. I don’t appreciate the rudeness. My comment was relating to how everyone wants a proof link except when they are posting. I find that amusing.

1 Like Save    

The Viking-Packer rivalry is legendary. I have absolutely no doubt that Elvis was bashing the Vikings. Not gay people.

I figured the pun was that Queen is the feminine counterpart of King, and it was just straightforward misogyny.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

LOL! Some think Elvis is bashing a rival football team? Shame, shame, shame, Elvis:))))))

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"My comment was relating to how everyone wants a proof link except when they are posting. I find that amusing."

Me too. I think they just noticed/learned about that "link" tab below a comment a couple months ago and have used it hardly more than a couple times in years but, mind you, where's a proof link for your opinions:))))) This thread is getting entertaining.

2 Likes Save    

Is the link tab on the app? I don’t have it.

Save    
heri_cles

Frank Reich and Colts execs just sent a powerful message about white privilege

Perhaps the most striking gesture came from Indianapolis Colts head coach Frank Reich, who kneeled during the playing of the anthem at Jacksonville’s TIAA Bank Field, while to his left and right players locked arms.

1 Like Save    
artemis_ma

NO, I won't watch.

For the same reasons I never watch football.

I don't know any of the players personally (or their families). So, hometown non-pro games made from local players would always be of higher interest anyway.

If I don't know them, watching grass grow is more interesting. I have no reason to care which side wins (although I note I always hope the Patriots lose after their cheating scandal a few years back - a sentiment I can't always voice in my new home state without hearing an argument... Fortunately, most of my local friends care about football as much as I do.)

I am not even going to bother going to YouTube this year to watch the Superbowl advertisements the day after that game. The last two years yielded about two worthwhile ads per year and thus is not worth my wasting my time.

As for the kneeling - that used to be considered a sign of respect. I mean when I went to Catholic churches, that's what it meant. I'm not going to be bent up about non-violent actions or words of free speech.

Save    
artemis_ma

I don’t like football so won’t be watching. I do hope the Liberal Elites continue to inject politics into sports though. Whether people agree with the message or not, they do not like to be force fed during sports. So, I hope they keep it up as it’s just further pushing people towards Trump. It’s free publicity!

I'm not sure this is pushing people towards Trump. Unfortunately, violent riots where businesses (small or otherwise) are destroyed, IS.

There is some concern that some of that rioting violence has been instigated by white supremists hoping for exactly that - I do think some but not all of that violence is due to that - and that some (most???) of the looting is actually from non-voters just out for freebies in the midst of emotional stir-up.

1 Like Save    
justerrilynn(10)

There is some concern that some of that rioting violence has been instigated by white supremists hoping for exactly that

Well now, here is an instance where the thousands of looting videos could be used as “proof” links.

Save    
Nana H
1 Like Save    
Toby

Elvis wrote Vikings first. When I came back to look at new posts, she had changed it to ViQueens.

2 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Nana,

The Politico link says it’s from different drafts of a same not yet published assessment? However, I’m sure there are still “Timothy’s” out there. The scary part is that they go for large group massacres. Looters on the other hand destroy towns, cities and put even more people out of work. Killings are not normally of large groups and are more individual. They are more of a long slow pancreatic cancer.

The ABC vid shows nothing.

Save    
Nana H

Did you read the article?

From the ABC article

"A masked, umbrella-wielding man accused of helping incite riots and
looting in the aftermath of George Floyd's police-involved death has
been identified as a member of a white supremacist group that aimed to
stir racial tensions amid largely peaceful Black Lives Matter protests, according to police".

Believe what you want , trust me I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

Save    
Toby

Timothy McVeigh was a lone wolf but small groups of white supremacists also pose a threat. Ever hear of the Proud Boys? Boogaloo Boys?

Looters aren't domestic terrorists. They are opportunists and are likely not looting because of a poliical ideology.

Save    
justerrilynn(10)

They are all bad news!

1 Like Save    
Toby

Yet you're trying to downplay the fact that a white supremacist smashed windows in stores in Minneapolis, declaring that the ABC video shows nothing. Why would you dispute that? Do you not believe the police? Did you even read the news story?

Save    
mudhouse

Toby: Looters aren't domestic terrorists. They are opportunists and are likely not looting because of a poliical ideology.

We don't know who's behind a lot of the looting in recent riots. Multiple reports from law enforcement and shop owners in many cities detail a very organized and sophisticated approach, and vehicles with out-of-state plates, evidence of a profit motive for the number of windows broken, and specific stores being targeted according to well communicated and pre-planned routes.

Since we don't know who's behind these lootings, I don't think we can rule out the possibility that the motivation could include a connection to domestic terrorism, or a political ideology.

2 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Some of the out of towner looters are getting a person in the group to rent an Airbnb, then, they all pile in. This just happened in my area. Luckily they have the gunman looter/robber in custody. We don’t have anymore of the story yet. It’s very sad though that a young mother of two boys was shot and killed by this 18yr old punk.

Save    
deegw

Link to the news story and source for the pics? I didn't get results from a reverse image search.

1 Like Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Dee, I’m not going to post the news link as I don’t want to bring any more attention to my area. I originally found out about it from the Nextdoor site. There, I saw and watched the TV news link. The neighborhood that had the Airbnb rental the criminals stayed in is very close. The people who live in that community are not happy and are mourning the killing of the woman who also lived in the community (but was killed outside the community during an armed robbery ). It’s all very sad. My old neighborhood which is a bit further west is getting hit hard as well. The criminals are coming up from the southern part of the state. I don’t think all these groups of criminals are politically motivated but who knows.

The good news is that the cops didn’t have to deal with the armed man. As he was fleeing he hid under a boat owned by one of the Nextdoor folk a police dog chewed him pretty good. So, no riots over this one.

2 Likes Save    

Without a news source the story is really confusing justerrilynn.

Was the robbery at the Airbnb and there was a simultaneous robbery/shooting somewhere else that killed the Airbnb owner?

They know the man who did the shooting but didn’t apprehend him because a dog bit him?

Save    
mudhouse

There are multiple reports of looters being from out of town, well organized, and possibly part of a crime ring. Here are just a few; I could post similar comments from other cities.

New York lootings: The New York Police Department's Intelligence Bureau is collecting license plate numbers from vehicles that carried vandals, looters and thieves around Manhattan in the last two days, a police official told ABC News.

"Cars would drive up, let off the looters, unload power tools and suitcases and then the cars would drive away," she said. "Then the cars would come back pick them up and then drive off to the next spot. They seemed to know exactly where they were going. Some of the people were local, but there were a lot of out-of-towners."

Murphy said she saw license plates from New Jersey and Pennsylvania and drivers had not even tried to hide their tags.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/nypd-detectives-actively-hunting-looters-vandals-george-floyd/story?id=71036694

CA lootings: “They were very well organized, they came with duffel bags, SUVs,” he said. “They went from shop to shop. They went in, cleared out with full duffel bags, another SUV would pull up. It was very impressive actually, to be honest.”

...According to police, the vast majority, 95%, were not residents.

“They would go to the Nike store, this store, they were just telling each other where to go,” said Sunnin Lebanese Cuisine owner Nicole Chammaa.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/06/01/santa-monica-looting-vandals/

Bellevue, WA lootings:
“There are groups paying these looters money to come in and they’re getting paid by the broken window,” said Chief Mylett. According to Chief Mylett, the looters are organized and after high-end stuff that can be resold.

“This is something totally different we are dealing with that we have never seen as a profession before,” added Chief Mylett.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/bellevue-police-chief-says-looters-are-part-organized-crime-ring/HEMXIDSLOZAH5FE7H7BBEDHQB4/

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

It’s intentional. Just make up the worst with your imagination and then call it true. What’s less trustworthy than FB for news? Nextdoor.

4 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Mud, I read an article a few days ago where some of these looters are being traced through eBay, Poshmark and other site sales. In particular, people selling looted sneakers. There is talk of adding serial numbers on more expensive or sought after brands.

It’s scary that Airbnb’s are being used as a hub for criminal activity. Very glad my son is no longer using his townhome as an Airbnb.

Cattyles, do not insinuate I am lying. This is a sad story that has affected many. The women who was shot dead has a lot of friends in this area.

3 Likes Save    
deegw

I found the news story about the gas station armed robbery and the murder. Recently happened, FL woman, two surviving children, suspect photo matches the ones posted above.

What does it have to do with Airbnb? What does it have to do with looting? No mention of either in the news story.

2 Likes Save    
deegw

Some of the out of towner looters are getting a person in the group to rent an Airbnb, then, they all pile in. This just happened in my area. Luckily they have the gunman looter/robber in custody. We don’t have anymore of the story yet. It’s very sad though that a young mother of two boys was shot and killed by this 18yr old punk.

Dee, I’m not going to post the news link as I don’t want to bring any more attention to my area. I originally found out about it from the Nextdoor site. There, I saw and watched the TV news link. The neighborhood that had the Airbnb rental the criminals stayed in is very close. The people who live in that community are not happy and are mourning the killing of the woman who also lived in the community (but was killed outside the community during an armed robbery ). It’s all very sad. My old neighborhood which is a bit further west is getting hit hard as well. The criminals are coming up from the southern part of the state. I don’t think all these groups of criminals are politically motivated but who knows.

The good news is that the cops didn’t have to deal with the armed man. As he was fleeing he hid under a boat owned by one of the Nextdoor folk and his dog chewed him pretty good. So, no riots over this one.

Try reading. You and your friends have no compassion for this dead woman or family. I’m going to ignore your posts and Catty’s since she pretty much called me a liar. What if you were to find out the dead woman was a Democrat? Would you care then? Don’t bother to answer me. I’m very disappointed in you.

----------------------

I did read, do you want me to post the link to the NEWS story about it? I left out the link as a courtesy to you because you didn't want to provide it. But I did find it.

It was a tragic armed robbery. There is no mention of looting or Airbnb.

The news story didn't corroborate your murder/looting/riots/airbnb narrative. Case closed unless you provide some other evidence. Besides your anecdote.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

cattyles

It’s intentional. Just make up the worst with your imagination and then call it true. What’s less trustworthy than FB for news? Nextdoor.

Catty, it's certainly easier on all of us to be in denial that there's a big problem that goes way beyond police crimes and misconduct.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

I'm talking about spontaneous looting that happens soon after news of a shooting comes out. Organized looting must be a new phenomena.

Man, I hate rumor-mongers. They make fools of anyone who latches onto their story. I have to fight that on my Nextdoor too. It's always the same people who believe them too.

1 Like Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Who are you talking to Toby? What rumor? Are you saying that the woman isn’t dead? Or, are you saying the criminal who was fleeing back into the neighborhood where he had been staying with friends at an Airbnb isn’t true. Or, that neighbors hadn’t seen him there? Or, that the police, police dogs and helicopters weren’t there? Good deal you are on your neighbors site to argue against the facts. You must be highly thought of.

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

The news story didn't corroborate your murder/looting/riots/airbnb narrative. Case closed unless you provide some other evidence. Besides your anecdote.

Lol! (Are we arguing a trial here, or having a conversation in a discussion forum? Just checking.)

1 Like Save    
elvis

Woohoo, Packers won again! Packers: 42, Lions: 21. Go Pack, Go!

Save    
studio10001

Packers, Schmackers - Schitt's Creek took all 6 comedy awards!!!!

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Love that show.

1 Like Save    

I had a customer kitted out in head to toe Packers gear yesterday. I did not refuse him service but I also did not wish him many happy returns of the day 😂

Save    
elvis

You must be a Detroit Lions fan, or is it the ages-old rivalry with your home state of Minnesota?

Save    
elvis

Woo-hoo! Packers beat the Falcons last night, 30-16. That makes us 4-0. Go Pack!!!

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Us (Chiefs) are 4-0 as well after getting by the Patriots last night 26-10. I didn't have to stay up late to watch. My brother and SIL from Wisconsin are visiting for a view days and they had to go watch the Packers game on the TV in the guest room until the Chiefs game was over.

The Chiefs are the first team to start 4-0 in four straight years.

A repeat of Superbowl l would be cool as long as the outcome was a Chiefs victory this time.

Save    

elvis

September 21, 2020 at 9:22AM

You must be a Detroit Lions fan, or is it the ages-old rivalry with your home state of Minnesota?

———

I only saw this just now!

More like the age-old rivalry between sisters :) Little sis is a Packer backer so I, perforce, root for whomever they are playing 😆

MN and WI do of course have a rivalry but I know a surprising number of cheeseheads in MN. I myself care little about the teams, I just like to watch the game. Though Seattle has certainly captured the hearts of those of us here on the west coast of BC so I like to see them do well.

1 Like Save    
elvis

A repeat of Superbowl l would be cool as long as the outcome was a Chiefs victory this time.

Okay, LoneJack. Packers vs. Chiefs for the Super Bowl. Your place or mine?

Save    
lurker111

I might watch a game now that Dak Prescott is out. I'm sorry he was injured but I'm so glad to see him go. He has to be the most inaccurate QB in the history of the NFL. Hopefully, Dallas can get past the race issue now and focus on football.

1 Like Save    
elvis

For your sake, I hope so, too!

As for the Pack, we had a bye week. Wah.

Save    
jmm1837

Meanwhile, a real football match, with real crowds - a rugby match between the mighty All Blacks and the Wallabies.

And the game was, as they say here, a real cracker. tight, tough, nail biter. Best performance by the Wallabies in a couple of years.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Design Pop How to Create a Dream Football-Watching Zone for Superfans
Before the NFL season kicks off Sept. 6, designers share their playbooks for the ultimate home football-fan lounge
Full Story
Living Rooms A Family Room Perks Up for Watching Football and Playing Games
New furnishings bring modern style to a Denver basement, while custom built-ins tackle storage
Full Story
Entertaining Go Wide With a Football-Watching Party Outside
The home-field advantage is all yours with an outdoor screen, a better-than-a-bar patio and a fire feature for some heated action
Full Story
Whether it's traditional or transitional design motifs, Barbara works closely with clients to discern their needs... Read More
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More