SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerandfruit81

remove tile/install hardwood floor, phases, order of operations, WWYD?

molman
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

*I changed the title and wording slightly so as not to distract people from helping where we are asking for it. We do not need advice on asbestos removal but have clear questions at the end of this post. Thank you!*

This is our asbestos laden floor- the asbestos is under the tile. Finally we are removing this but only in the most pressing areas. Many years ago we removed walls and the holes in the floor have been patched with decking since. I HATE the tile. Glitter, shell impressions, rough texture that makes it hard to clean, the colors, the pain in my legs, I really hate it. The tile is in our mudroom/entry, halls, kitchen and dining areas (one big room), and powder room. It's about half the lower level.

We cannot manage tearing out our whole kitchen and all the cabinets to remove the flooring right now (a couple years from now, yes) but we are excited remove it in the dining area and powder room.

First choice was a lovely green marmoleum sheet but since we're doing this in phases we need to be able to live with the tile (and we live on a farm so maybe not a good choice for us), so no green marmoleum (we might use it in the bathroom still). We will continue the oak flooring into the dining area. There's a natural break extending from a chimney wall to attached garage bisecting the DR/KT. The transition won't be great due to the height difference but we'll have to get used to that as longterm temporary.

Flooring results will be:

dining + living room = oak (threshold of these 2 rooms in the first photo)

kitchen + halls/mudroom = hateful tile

bathroom = probably marmoleum or slate

Inset slate hearth for our woodstove in the LR, and similar toned wool carpet in sunroom...maybe we should consider slate tile in the bathroom- just thought of that!).

My questions are

-How shall we best match this classic oak flooring in the LR? The LR is near needing refinishing but definitely not necessary and we're using the space heavily with 5 of us working and educating at home. We will get the stairs redone in conjunction with a bedroom project coming up probably.

-We're handy folks with a few respectable tools but not uber skilled with carpentry. Is hardwood floor install a good DIY project? Will we hate ourselves? Each other?

-When I see prefinished hardwood floors they tend to have a curve/ on the long edges that I don't care for. Is this avoidable?

-Any Order of Operations tips?

-What other considerations have we overlooked?

I'm excited for your input!

Comments (10)