Oscars participation trophies

Bothell

Thought it might be interesting to discuss something other than the usual. I read that starting in 2024, the awards have added a number of qualifications for some of the award categories. I completely agree that for most of its history the awards have focused on a very narrow selection of individuals. I do find it puzzling and think it degrades all who could win an award if the award is forced to be based on something other than the "best" in a category. An analogy would be a painting by Da Vinci vs, a painting by his studio. Would you value it the same. Anyone have an opinion they'd care to share?

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

Affirmative Actionm for movies. Much token hiring will be required, never mind qualifications and good old nepotism. I guess we'll see how it works out. It's very Hollywoodish.

The 2020-2021 rules under the COVID-19 pandemic are unchanged. For the next two years, the requirements set forth by AMPAS are not mandatory. In an effort to collect data and put these practices into effect, studios will need to simply fill out the form and include it with the other filing paperwork when submitting for best picture. This will be for Oscars 2022 and Oscars 2023. The requirements will not go into effect until Oscars 2024.

“1917” is a useful illustration of how the new standards would apply. Although it might not qualify for the A category of diversity in lead roles, ensemble cast or storyline, it could easily qualify in the required two of the four categories. In the case of that 2020 nominee, it would be eligible under Standard B1 (creative leadership and department heads) and B2 (other key roles) — with only one out of the two categories required to qualify. Mendes, who is part West Indian, would qualify, along with his co-writer Krysty Wilson-Cairns. Mendes’ film also has Naomi Donne as makeup department head, Rachael Tate as sound editor and Pippa Harris and Jayne-Ann Tenggren as producers.

Under Standard D (audience development), the Academy has left this purposefully vague. “The studio and/or film company has multiple in-house senior executives from among the following underrepresented groups in marketing, publicity and distribution.” This makes no mention of number or percentage requirements on the leadership level. In the case of distributor Universal Pictures, the team includes distribution president Veronika Kwan Vandenberg and co-president of domestic marketing Dwight Caines and it’s likely the executive makeup would meet the criteria.

To qualify for best picture in 2025, all you have to do is check two out of the four standards, and “1917” achieved it without much difficulty. A deeper dive would probably reveal that it likely went above and beyond the threshold.

https://variety.com/2020/film/awards/oscars-inclusion-diversity-rules-standards-explained-1234763473/

Save     Thanked by Bothell
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

I wasn't able to find articles about specific details of the requirements (even elvis'). I laud their efforts, because current power structures are way too narrow. But it seems there could be a lot of fast and lose with the hiring. If the subject matter of the on-camera material is not conducive to a broad range of hiring, then the requirements will have to be made behind the camera. It isn't clear how much of a shakeup that might entail, or if only lesser jobs would be used to fill the requirements. It seems as if we might just have to see how it shakes out, prior to evaluating.

I'm sure there will be some "I thought we were compliant." glitches and hard feelings along the way. But it isn't as if the actual best picture wins best picture many times now, so I really don't consider the change new participation trophies. I suddenly stopped caring about the Oscars a couple of decades ago (1 year after I went and saw every nominated movie, with one limited release foreign film exception) although nominations sometimes point out a good movie I might have missed seeing otherwise. So my opinion is not very considered, granted.

But I hope the change helps the industry meet their intentions, or at least get things moving in that direction.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Bothell
Kathy

Introduced under an initiative called Aperture 2025, the organization said the goal was to "encourage equitable representation on and off screen in order to better reflect the diversity of the movie-going audience."

Films must meet at least two of four benchmarks. They include featuring actors from underrepresented groups in significant roles or accounting for at least 30% of the cast; similar criteria in terms of those working on the film behind the scenes; a significant commitment to paid apprenticeships, internships and career development; and significant representation among the teams devoted to marketing, publicity and distribution.

gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Yes, but details matter. Exactly what is the official designation for significant role for the criteria? Judi Dench won an Oscar for 8 minutes onscreen. So how few minutes would equal significant for an unknown actor from an underrepresented group? What would be considered the cast? Do extras that get to deliver a couple of lines then become part of the cast for this consideration?

elvis

They include featuring actors from underrepresented groups in significant roles or accounting for at least 30% of the cast

"Under-represented" in what context? As a proportionate component of the general population? What if the cast is very, very small? Or very, very big, i.e. containing scenes with large crowds?

Should be...interesting. Well, not our problem. We'll just watch, literally, and see what happens to the industry.

Kathy

Personally I think it is to appease those calling for diversity. Who knows if it will make any difference at all in reality.

maddiemo

I seem to be over being interested in anything much Hollywood has to offer film wise, but I can’t see any harm in an awareness of diversity being raised and hopefully adhered to.

olliesmom

Maybe it will spill over into NFL or NBA et al sports also. Fair is fair. Forget talent. We need to have so many whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, etc on the field or on the court. Wonder how that will go over.

How about music awards too? Let's see...what else??

1 Like Save     Thanked by Bothell
Ziemia(6a)

I heard the details. It's basically lots and lots and lots of quotas. To be met by each film's production, not by the nomination process.

So, the Academy sees that it's past failings are due entirely to the film industry's failings and in spite of thinking it is influential it denies it is influential.

It's ridiculous. There is a problem with diversity in the awards process but their solution is no fix.

elvis

olliesmom

Maybe it will spill over into NFL or NBA et al sports also. Fair is fair. Forget talent. We need to have so many whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, etc on the field or on the court. Wonder how that will go over.

How about music awards too? Let's see...what else??

Well, all those black awards shows gotta go. No diversity there. Non-blacks are complete under-represented, IMO. But maybe that's just me.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Maybe there is no easy answer to systemic racism when it comes to hiring and training workers and it applies to the movie industry as well. I applaud them for addressing the issue. If the awards are tied to diversity it might just force the producers to be more conscious and more representative of the diversity in our country right from the get go of hiring.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entertaining And the Award for Best DIY Oscar Party Goes to ... You!
Create a red-carpet stir right in your living room with these clever ideas for an Academy Awards party at home
Full Story
Kids’ Spaces 'Extremely Loud' Teems With Kids' Décor Ideas
For quirky, creative children's room tips, take a page from the script of this Oscar-nominated film
Full Story
Design Pop Set Designers’ Tips for Cinematic Style at Home
Ahead of the Oscars, pros with experience in interiors and movie sets offer insight into big-screen-inspired style
Full Story
GreenStar Construction provides Home Improvement services to the community of the Bay Area California. Our... Read More