Crime against the planet..

kadefol

..and against all the creatures, including us, who have nowhere else to go. When is this going to stop? Destruction of the Amazon is going to negatively impact the entire planet. I don't understand why the rest of the world is not uniting and forcing the disgusting imbecilic criminal in charge of Brazil to put a stop to this atrocity before it is too late.

Tens of thousands of fires are pushing the Amazon to a tipping point

Fires continue to rage at high levels through the Amazon in Brazil for the second consecutive year, raising concerns among scientists that the rainforest's destruction could eventually reach a point of no return.

Since Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro took office, governmental measures to curb illegal fires have shown little impact, as flames and deforestation erase vast swathes of the world's biggest rainforest.

Most fires in the Amazon are set by land-grabbers and wildcat ranchers, seeking to transform parts of the rainforest into their own lucrative agricultural enterprises. And this August was a particularly bad time for such fires: Preliminary data collected by the National Spatial Research Institute (INPE) show 29,307 fires in the Brazilian Amazon last month.

However, due to a technical issue with the NASA satellite tracking fires, experts say that figure could be even higher. The final tally of fires recorded in August is expected to rise 2% above the August 2019 total, says Albert Setzer, INPE's senior scientist -- which would make this August the worst in 10 years.

The more fires there are, the faster the rainforest is transformed into grasslands for illicit cattle and soy-growing operations. According to research from NGO MapBiomas, which tracks land use in Brazil, 95% of the deforested area in Brazil in 2019 wasn't authorized. "Most of (the fires) are illegal," said Tasso Azevedo, a former head of Brazil's forest service and coordinator of MapBiomas.

Deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon biome reached 1,830 square miles, an area bigger than Rhode Island state, in the period from January to July 2020,. August figures for deforestation are yet to be released.

One symptom of the accelerating deforestation is longer dry seasons, Nobre said. This will initially be felt in Brazil and elsewhere in South America, as the Amazon generates a great part of the rains for the rest of the country, and also affects the rains in neighboring Paraguay, Uruguay, and Argentina.

And even farmers and ranchers will feel the consequences. "This 'savannah-ization' of the Amazon will lead to a reduction in rainfall that will affect especially the agricultural sector, which is driving deforestation further. It's a real shot in the foot," Batista said.

If the Amazon one day disappeared altogether, Brazil's rainfall on average would be reducedby up to 25%, predicts one modeling exercise by researchers at Princeton University. Average temperatures would also be expected to rise 2 degrees in Brazil and 0.25 degrees worldwide.

Nobre predicts that the tipping point for when the Amazon can no longer sustain itself lies between 20% and 25% of deforestation. So far, it has lost 17% of its original area, according to INPE.

"It's hard to say when it's going to happen, but we are seeing that it is coming faster than we previously thought," Nobre said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/americas/brazil-amazon-fires-carlos-nobre-intl/index.html

SaveComment12Like3
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

People aren't uniting because most don't care enough (sometimes as a result of not educating themselves and sometimes because they are in denial and sometimes because the narrative doesn't fit their political or world view). When the young people united and marched, some marched with them, but many derided them. Look at how some have demonized and denigrated Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who has spoken out and pushed for a New Green Deal. We are dooming our planet and people laugh at those who speak up.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol
kadefol

There has to SOMETHING that can be done to wake people up to the fact that if we ruin the planet, we ruin ourselves. And that predatory capitalists like bolsanaro who cash in on the destruction of irreplaceable natural treasures must be removed for the good of the environment, and humanity as a whole. If this runaway train continues I shudder to think what awaits young kids as they grow up and have to deal with the consequences of the horrible despicable decisions of the generations before them.

2 Likes Save    

I agree, but we need to look to our own capitalists to make bold moves and then to put pressure on other countries. We are way behind many countries when it comes to renewable energy and protection of wild places-the protection has lessened greatly in the last 3.5 years. Water or lack thereof will be one of the things that drive wars in this century. Look at the fires on the west coast-that is unprecedented. We are destroying the oceans as well and those bodies of water help cool the planet.

I am just sick about the world my three grandchildren will inherit.

ETA: Just had another thought-this is a bit ironic, but it seems this is not a 'hot' topic here.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol
heri_cles

It is a hot topic here.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol
heri_cles

Many, many posts here over the years concerning fracking, sustainable energy, drilling in ANWR to the Keystone pipeline. We need to discuss these issues more...especially now with these wild fires raging.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol

My comment was simply because no one was responding, heri.

1 Like Save     Thanked by kadefol
kadefol

Cyn427, I completely agree. The "do as I say, don't do as I do" approach does not work when the US itself has so many environmental problems. I also look at babies and small kids and feel sad for what they'll have to deal with if we don't start taking these issues very seriously, very soon. Not to mention the horror I feel for all the wildlife affected and suffering because of what we humans have done, and continue to do, to the only home they have.

Those of us who care don't have to be helpless, we can put pressure on corporations by refusing to buy foods and other products containing palm oil unless they are rainforest alliance certified. We can stop eating so much meat. We can stop eating so many soybean products. We can stopbuying clothing from manufacturers that use fibers which contribute to rain forest destruction. Coffee from huge corporations like Folger's and Hill's is a big culprit, unethical coffee production leads to massive deforestation. Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks are 2 mainstream brands which sell some products that are rainforest alliance or fair trade certified.

Human over-consumption and our throwaway society is a huge contributing
issue, but that's a whole other hot topic.

Save    
arthurm2015(Micro-Climate, Zone 10b Sydney, Australia)

There are skirmishes going on everywhere. The one in progress here (NSW, Australia) is "save the Koala for posterity versus the right of Farmers to clear their land".

"The NSW Farmers Association says its good koalas have been in thrust into the spotlight but that the NSW Government shouldn’t fall apart over the matter.

CEO Pete Arkle says farmers are "losing sleep" over the controversial koala policy and that it needs urgent fixing.

"We appreciate the focus it’s getting. We don’t think the government should fall on this. We want to see the Liberals and the Nationals get back to the table and find a sensible way forward," said Mr Arkle,

He wouldn’t be drawn on whether the Deputy Premier should lose his job over the political standoff."

This state is run by the Premier Gladys B, in my view an effective politician.

Save     Thanked by kadefol
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

I saw something today about species depletion on the planet - on the land and in the ocean - and how that is affecting the probability of new corona viruses becoming more common in the future, as transmission from animals to humans becomes more likely as habitats are destroyed. Normally, Mother Nature would use this as a means to reduce the human population, which is proportionally out of control, but as humans have found more and more means of surviving the effects of their actions, the more out of control it has become.

One thing humans can do is to help countries with population spikes with birth control. Many women in poorer countries desperately want birth control, but it is unavailable to them. Melinda Gates is trying to help this situation, but it takes more than one person to get population explosion under control. Eventually, Mother Nature will get it under control, but at what cost?

I have a huge problem with capitalists who think that the economy should grow every year without consequence. At some point, there should be a balance with no growth and a stable population.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol
Kathy

The capitalist mantra. More profits every year. I worked in retail for 25 years. They were never happy with a certain percent profit. Every year had to be an increase. It really becomes defeatist after a certain point. We are doing the same thing to our planet. We are taking more and more because of greed.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Bolsonaro's election has been bad on so many levels -- for the Brazilian people (Covid-19), the Brazilian Amazon, and the planet.

The resurgence of regressive rulers across the world is a curse.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by kadefol
kadefol

The resurgence of regressive rulers across the world is a curse.

And we need to get rid of all of them, as soon as possible, before they have destroyed any chance of recovery for the planet.

Lars brought up another good point about human population control. People seem to have no problem understanding the need for population control when it comes to other species, but in their minds it does not apply to humans. Which is absolutely insane. Birth control and abortion need to be accessible everywhere, and we need to just stop our over-consumption of everything. Common sense has to overcome selfish, greedy behavior. But given human nature, that is probably a lost cause.

3 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Roots of Style Design Through the Decades: The 1970s
Concern for the planet spurs a shift toward ecologically and socially responsible architecture and products
Full Story
Gardening for Butterflies Garden for Wildlife to Reap Rich Rewards
When you plant with animals and insects in mind, you make gardening easier, the planet healthier and yourself more present
Full Story
Earth Day 10 Ways to Bring Earth Day Home
Try out these ideas for reducing your carbon footprint and celebrating planet Earth all year
Full Story
California Construction Bay Area was founded many years ago in the state of California under the core values of... Read More