SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Bolero, Discovery, Lady of Shalott, Marc Chagall & Marriotta

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Bolero (Meidelweis/Bolero 2004) floribunda rose bred by Jacques Mouchotte (France, before 2003) and introduced in France and US in 2004. The 3-inch white cupped-to-flat, old fashioned blooms have strong fragrance and up to 160 petals. The parents are: seed: Kimono × Sharifa Asma, pollen: Centenaire de Lourdes. This rose blooms all the time and is very healthy in my garden. If you are looking for a white rose with an old rose look, this rose is a must have .

If you search for "Bolero rose" there are 7 different roses with the same name:

1. Bolero (floribunda, Mouchotte/Meilland, 2004) [Meidelweis/Bolero 2004] <== the rose in my garden

2. Bolero (hybrid tea/florist rose, Meilland, 1997) [MEIcauley]: white blend, 100 petals, strong fragrance <== same name for different roses from the same company just to confuse us, LOL.

3. Bolero (climber, Olesen, 1998) [POULbota]: 3.5-inch blush, rose-pink stripes, cream stripes blooms have moderate spice, wild rose fragrance and up to 14 petals.

4. Boléro (hybrid tea, Gaujard, 1934): orange-red, copper shading, yellow undertones blooms have up to 25 petals.

5. Boléro (floribunda, Buyl Frères, 1958): orange blend blooms.

6. Bolero (unknown, McGredy 1964)

7. Bolero (hybrid tea, Pironti, 1963) [POUlbo]: dark pink blooms.

Helen

Comments (8)

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Discovery (CLEbig) shrub rose bred by John Clements (US, before 2004) and introduced in US (2004). The 4-inch soft pink cupped, quartered blooms have mild fragrance and up to 50 petals. This rose repeats well, and the blooms last a long time on a bush in my garden. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marriotta miniature rose bred by Samuel Darragh McGredy IV (1981). The petals of this rose are so unique that you almost think that it's not a rose. The 1.5-inch blooms have deep pink color with mild fragrance. It's very healthy in my garden and blooms all the time. Helen

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Such amazing photos!! They are all so beautiful. I always adore your Marriotta and those pictures of Lady of Shalott are calling me to go look for it!!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

Beautiful, Helen! I loved my little Marriotta but it wasn't winter hardy.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

joeywyomingz4b Thanks Joey. PalatineRoses offers Marriotta this year, so many people can order it again. It's a very special rose. Lady of Shalott is like Julia Child in orange. It requires minimal care.

@seil zone 6b MI Thanks you Seil. I hear you. Every time I have some problems taking care of my roses, I always tell myself, that's nothing compare with rose gardeners in cold zones. Each rose in your garden is a treasure because it has overcome so much. Helen

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Oh Seil that's sad to hear. I've been keeping my eye out for Marriotta but if it isn't going to handle the winter then there isn't much point.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • sbrklyn_7bny
    3 years ago

Love your pictures of Bolero. My blooms don’t have the pink center, more a warm cream center. The only complaint I have about Bolero is that it grows slowly. Even the baby bands are busy producing blooms and don’t grow much. I tried nipping the buds but it didn’t help.

-Stacy

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sbrklyn_7bny