SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970067499

Front landscaping update in shady yard - ideas needed!

Heidi Der
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help. After an extensive remodel of our house, I am trying to fill in the front landscaping on my own, without aid of a landscape professional due to budget constraints. I have a medium-sized landscape bed and a tiny square bed (" X ") that are both fairly shady (the house faces northeast). In the small bed, I planted some Japanese Forest Grass this spring, and they have not grown at all - I am going to take them out and put them elsewhere. I think the issue with that spot might be that the soil doesn't drain well - the small square is bound on three sides by foundation walls and the fourth side is the driveway. I would like to put something in there to cover (but allow easy access to) the hose reel that is on the wall. Since the siding is dark blue, something to contrast that would be great - maybe with a white or yellow flower? I also thought about a red twig or yellow twig dogwood, but I am not sure if that would look strange standing by itself. There really isn't room to put more than one plant in that spot.

As for the larger bed, the hydrangeas do well and I plan to leave them in place. I also have some astilbe and spring bulbs in front of the picket fence that I will likely leave in place and maybe add more. I usually put some annuals in front of the fence to brighten things up. There is a lenten rose at the far right of the bed that I would like to replace. I am really looking for some flowering shrubs (not azaleas or rhododendrons, as they were in place before the remodel and I am ready for something new) that will be tall enough to be seen above the picket and provide some color and visual interest. I am not a skilled gardener, so low maintenance is best.

What suggestions do you have for the small square and for the space in the larger bed behind the picket fence? I would say I am looking for an informal, cottage-y look, rather than something structured like evergreen hedges or topiary. I would love to have interest and color year-round, and I am in Zone 6B in Northeast Ohio.

Comments (8)