SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_40845937

A Full And Honest Review Of My 48" Hestan Range

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

A Full And Honest Review Of My Heston 48" Range. Part One

This will be a multi-part review because I am very detail oriented. I believe no detail is too small when you are spending this kind of money. I couldn't find any information about it so I took a chance and bought one. I hope this will be helpful to some people.

As far as looks are concerned it is already established that this beast is drop-dead, drool-worthy gorgeous. It comes in all stainless or a few very pretty colors, mine is deep red called "Tin Roof" and I love it. I like color and personality in my kitchen. This is our forever home so I don't care about resale vanilla. Our next home will be the nursing home. We are baby boomers so this is IT for us. Ha ha!

My range has just been installed and unfortunately my custom hood was crushed during shipment. It will take 6-8 weeks to make another one so I am currently limited on what I can do with my range due to the hood's electric wires dangling out of the wall above it. I won't be wok cooking, frying, or griddle cooking till the ventilation is installed. If you have this powerful of a range top you will need good ventilation. I have (will have) a remote roof-mounted 1,400 cfm fan, 10" duct work, a make up air system, and a hood width 3" wider than the range on each side (54" hood). Please do your homework on ventilation, there are plenty of threads about that on Houzz. Don't believe everything the sales people tell you. Be your own brain.

It is torture having this range here and not being able to use it fully. I have played with it a bit because I just can't keep my hands off it. The installer told me to heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes and then wipe it out with a damp cloth. Supposedly to prevent any "metal taste" in my food. So I did that and there was nothing to wipe out. The damp cloth was spotless. It took about 15 minutes to preheat the oven to 450. It might be less than 15 min because I had to leave the kitchen and when I returned they were already 450 F and it was just barely 15 min on my timer. For comparison the Blue Star electric wall oven I was seriously considering took 20 minutes to reach 350 degrees in the showroom.

The cooling fan that all these new electric ovens have these days was reasonably quiet. I don't mean the convection fan inside the oven. The cooling fans are separate and are needed to cool the electronics that get fried from the high heat, especially in the self-cleaning mode. I was able to have a normal conversation standing right in front of it. My husband described the fan noise as "kind of soft" and "not bad compared to the GE profile we had." For you factoids like myself, it was 62 decibels, described as equal to a quiet street. Across the island it read 55 db. (Used a free phone app from Apple) My old Roomba vacuum is too loud for comfort at 72 DB. I don't like extra noise which is why I considered the Blue Star 48" all gas--no fans needed! This fan ran for over 1 hr 15 min after the oven was turned off. Not great but a necessity with the electronics in these new fancy ovens. At least I knew what I was getting into because I called Heston and they told me honestly that the fan will run "till the oven cools." I have read about the big new Thermadors being unbearably loud, and Blue Star as being quite loud. My GE profile was horrible. I would leave the door open and let all the heat out at once so the fan would go off. Not good for the electronics but I knew I was getting rid of it so I didn't care. I don't think the noise will bother me because our breakfast nook is not really close to it and the dining room is completely separate. It turned off at about 200 F. The handles remained cool. I got brave and held my hand against the glass door on both ovens. No problem. The small oven door was very warm but not burning. The large oven was barely warm. It seems to be more insulated. Only the large oven has self clean so maybe that is why. I feel confident that pets and small children would be safe with these temperatures. Today I baked an eggplant parmigiana in the small oven and it was yummy!

What I don't like so far: There is a place on the big oven handle that feels quite rough. I think it should have been buffed out. The small oven handle has something loose in there that tinkles when I open and shut the oven door. The big oven racks glide out nicely but are so rough that they catch on my microfiber cloth like crazy and I don't think this is normal. I will contact Heston and give them a chance to respond. I hear they are very responsive to customers. Will let you know. Part two to follow soon.

Comments (290)

• Carrie Kennedy
    2 years ago

Thank you all! Super helpful

• Roseann Estrellado
    2 years ago

@Josh we also purchased a 42” liner and was wondering if you had to purchase the multi blower transition in order to install the liner? Also did you have to hardwire the connections for the blowers or were you able to put a plug to plug into the wall?

• Related Discussions

Need 48' Range-Reviews of GE Monogram, American, BlueStar, Wolf?

Q

Comments (23)
    I purchased a wolf dual fuel 48" 9 months ago and after several service calls, Wolf did a buy back on the range. It was kind of strange, I would have been ok with another range but they did not want to switch it out. They were very nice, tried to service it but never really looks at the internals, instead would send a chef out here to cook in it and troubleshoot it. My issue was mainly the convection. Cook on one rack, no issues, cook on all of them like cookies and extremely uneven cooking from top to bottom and back to front. Not satisfied. Hated the lack of rolling racks, I find the racks hard to pull out. Had the double griddle. Fantastic to cook on but the grease catcher does not catch grease, instead it fills up, overflows underneath and makes quite the mess, even when the catcher is not full....they even mentioned that it is a design flaw. The actual service help after was good in most respects, would I buy another wolf? maybe some day, but not that range for sure. Also, took forever to heat up and boiling a pot of water took too long for such a beautiful unit. I am now purchasing a capital culinarian...hoping for much better results.....
    ...See More

I got to test drive a BlueStar 48" Platinum range this week

Q

Comments (30)
    I am so glad that you piped up about your Frigidaire issue, Practigal. Thank you. I don't think it was a coincidence that you were participating in this thread. So..is it crumbs of rust dropping down from the burner...or, is it rust coming up through the paint...or is it oxidation of the gas itself, that maybe it is burning "dirty"? Good ideas, Mrsnyefnyef. I have an update, but I'll share it at the end of my post. ; ) I agree, Eurekachef. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the BS rangetop after test driving it (unless you don't like standing over a high heat cooker.) "my regrets comments was that I just didn't want you to finish your project and then turn back and say, well I should have..." Ah, I understood what you were getting at much better that time, Gooster. That makes a lot of sense. Here is the update: I found 2 incredibly good deals at Goedekers website this weekend for scratch and dent Miele's. The cooktop (yes, a cooktop, not a rangetop) is 42" wide and has 6 burners. They looked like they are configured *perfectly* for the way we cook. Originally I was looking for all the same BtU's on the burners, but these should work fine because of the configuration. Originally I was looking for sealed burners, which this has. The knobs are off to the side rather than on the front. I find this to be a nice feature since I tend to lean into whatever I'm cooking. This way I won't be lighting the stove with my belly! Also, little ones will have a harder time reaching the knobs. Finally, at about $1200 less than full price, it was too good a deal to pass up. They also had a set of 30" Miele Master Chef double ovens for almost half price (open box). I hemmed and hawed for a while on this one. It's definitely more high-tech than what I was originally looking for. In order to do the cooktop, we'd have to head into wall oven land. Wall oven land was full of techy gizmos. Given that, I might as well try one that is highly regarded by bakers and has the lowest repair rate in the industry (according to Yale Appliance's website, anyway.) Thank you all for helping me process this big decision! I really appreciate the input each of you gave me.
    ...See More

Hestan Cooktop??? Do you have one?

Q

Comments (6)
    I never heard of Hestan until browsing this forum recently. I do not have any experience with them nor does anyone I know. I spent some time on their website and their appliances are simply beautiful with a lot of nice features. They are very costly, however. There's not a lot of reviews out there but Appliance Connection has very favorable reviews on their 36 Inch Freestanding Dual Fuel Range: https://www.appliancesconnection.com/hestan-krd365ng.html You may want to go to a large appliance store and ask for their opinion on Hestan appliances.
    ...See More

Backguard for high power rangetop- Hestan or Wolf 48 inch with griddle

Q

Comments (14)
    Just a thought. When we bought our 48” Wolf 18 years ago. Two different people who worked there came up and asked us what we were going to put on the wall behind the stove. We told them we were planning on the 12” stainless riser. Behind that my husband put up fireproof cement board covered with antique brick. On the cabinets on either side we used stainless steel. They seemed relieved. We decided on the brick because of the char broiler which puts out a lot of smoke. I couldn’t see putting up tile with grout, since I’d never be able to keep that grout clean. Congratulations on your Wolf and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
    ...See More
  • Josh
    2 years ago

We did do the multi blower transition, yes. My builder did a 12” pipe and then the transition to the liner. I am not 100% sure about the wiring, but I believe it was hard wired in since it was a fully new build.

• Roseann Estrellado
    2 years ago

Hello all! For anyone that has the all gas range, is your amber oven indicator light on the second knob from the right (back burner) of your stove? If not, where is yours? I feel it should be the knob that controls the temperature of the oven. We just want to know before we call it in to Hestan

• Sabrina Campacci
    2 years ago

Hi!! I have the all gas range 36 inch and my amber light is on the third burner..for the oven

• Roseann Estrellado
    2 years ago

@Sabrina Campacci oh wow! thanks so much for this info. I guess then we’ll have to make that call :(

• Roseann Estrellado
    2 years ago

Hi again! For anyone that has the duel fuel range, can anybody please post a picture of what the plug looks like? We just want to make sure we get the right 220v socket.

• zayt_catering
    2 years ago

After having my Hestan range and wall oven, I must say that I’m impressed. I know the wall oven is a rebranded fulgor, but I’m impressed the most with their service. The installer put the temperature knob in the wrong location (on the selector knob), so I thought the range was not functioning correctly. They had me send a video in and showed it to one of their techs. Very responsive service.

To compare, my mother just purchased a thermador range and you really can’t compare the level of service. Range has not worked since day one. The part they need to repair took weeks to receive, only to have the wrong part show up. Second visit was delayed because the right part did not come in. Hold time is 45 minutes whenever you call in. I can’t use the lemon law because technically they have not attempted a repair yet. Just a nightmare.

• A K
    2 years ago

Thank you all for such detailed, thorough information. We are getting ready to build and saw Hestan appliances at an Idea Home. currently have Wolf range and cooktop and have enjoyed them. Have not used the griddle much bc it’s a big mess to clean up-maybe I need to look again at the users manual re: that. also, the repairman who had to come and replace the fried motherboard said that those in the know refer to self clean mode as ”self destruct mode” bc the wiring in the oven isn ’t insulated enough from the heat. Have any of you used self clean in Hestan?

• lcm1986
    2 years ago

Just loving this thread and so appreciate all the comments from @Josh @spcNgtr and all the rest. Thank you! Finally getting ready to order my Hestan appliances for a March 2022 reno. Ordering the 48" range, fridge and hood liner/dishwasher. Can't beat the freebies - thanks to all here -feeling good about my decision!'

• Jeremy Seger
    2 years ago

Hey all, for anyone who is part of the Passport Corporate Program (lots of big companies offer this), they offered a 10% discount on Hestan. This was in addition to any existing rebates. I was able to take advantage of this. Now waiting on my house to be completed so I can take delivery!

• Celi Trepanier
    2 years ago

I was planning on buying a Hestan range for our new home we are building. One appliance retailer we contacted who sells Hestan claimed they probably could no longer get Hestan, and that Hestan does not package their ranges well for shipping. He said most Hestan ranges they get in are damaged and the customer then has to wait again for another one. He said this after I asked him if they had a Hestan floor model to look at. Anyone had the experience of receiving a damaged (from shipping) Hestan range?

• Kit Ng
    2 years ago

We got a Heston electric double wall oven and a 5-burner gas range top for our new house. They were delivered in June of this year a few months after they were ordered, both were in perfect condition and worked from day one after installed. We ordered them through the vendor our builder used.

• Josh
    2 years ago

We didn’t have any issues with Hestan products arriving damaged either. We’ve used ours for six months now, and I’ve established a good feel for them. We love the range and vent hood, we like the fridge, and we’d never have a Hestan dishwasher ever again. It cleans dishes well but it’s tiny and challenging to load. Overall I’d highly recommend the range and would recommend the fridge, but for 11k get a subzero.

• spcNgtr
    2 years ago

I’ve had no problems and love everything including the fridge. I wasn’t happy with my Sub Zero

• JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@spcNgtr, what didn't you like about your Sub Zero?

• Jeremy Seger
    2 years ago

Hey all - did anyone get a MAU for their Hestan (VAH) range? We just had a rough inspection and our inspector said we need one. I've called Hestan multiple times and they haven't been very helpful. They referred me to VAH. Just looking for something that works with my 52" hood that is on order. We already cut a hole in the floor for the vent.

• Michael Green
    2 years ago

Our house is currently being built. we purchased a 36” Hestan all gas with a 42” hood. Figured we needed MUA. Builder was pretty generous. Only charging us $1750. i expected more

• Jeremy Seger
    2 years ago

Do you know what model?

• Michael Green
    2 years ago

Sorry no clue. They havent even broken ground on the house. They just told us what it would cost to add the MUA system.

• Ken Wei
    2 years ago

I have a 36" Hestan gas range. It worked well for a year so, then the oven fan failed. It's still under warranty of course, so I contacted Hestan. After a weeks of badgering them, they finally found a repair person in the next city. It took more time to get the part. The repair person, who appears to be the only one in Southern California authorized to repair Hestan, couldn't figure out how to install the fan. Turns out he he had never worked on Hestan applicances before (he'd done everything else Wolf, BlueStar, Thermador et al).

So two months after the fan failed, I still don't have a working oven. Hestan support has stopped responding to my calls and emails.

This is a nice piece of equipment, but there simply is no support infrastructure. My recommendation is that if you are going to spend $8-12K on a stove, get a Blue Star, a Wolf, really any of the major brands besides a Hestan.

• josie123
    2 years ago

Ken Wei, If you haven’t done so already, try contacting this person. I believe she is located in South Calif.: Contacts -

Marta Bistram
    mbistram@hestan.com | 714-853-3581

Hopefully this helps.

• Robert Smith
    2 years ago

Has anyone had issues with the griddle? I have a 48 inch range top with a griddle. The griddle does not get very hot. It will get up to 250/300F when turned up to max (500F) I had repair techs come out and replace parts (thermocouple, gas valve,...) but nothing has solved the problem.

• charlie mirisola
    last year

I have owned a Hestan 30" range for just over a year and it has been nothing but trouble. Within the first week, we had terrible gas smells coming from the oven whenever we used it. It turned out there was a design flaw. Hestan had to manufacture a new piece of metal to replace a part on the back that was not allowing the gas to vent properly. That process put us out of a usable oven for about a month. About 10 months after that a heat sensor tripped in the oven after normal use and the oven would not light again. After weeks of chasing the incredibly poor customer service at Hestan, I was able to get a service call scheduled with the only Hestan authorized repair person in the tri-state area. When he arrived, he was able to quickly fix the issue. That whole process took about 6/7 weeks.

Now, just a month or so later we noticed a gas smell again. After more waiting and chasing to get a repair and me reaching out directly to the repair company to move things along with Hestan, we find out that the entire floor of the oven has fallen apart and is sitting on the gas burner. This is stifling the flame and causing gas to spread. Additionally, the knobs are falling apart and separating from the inner knobs which connect to the oven face. The repair person has ordered the new parts under warranty. This was 2 weeks ago and there is now word from Heston on delivery. This time around we are going on 2 months without the oven.

With possibly the worst customer service I have ever experienced PLUS an inferior "luxury" product, I am at a loss. I will be replacing the entire unit in only 14 months after buying with the cost to me growing every day it does not work. I have asked for a new unit, a refund or just timely help and there has been no word. Thanks all for providing a well informed and thoughtful forum.

• Tammy Swinney
    last year

My Hestan 36 range has been fumey from the start. It’s gotten so much worse now I can’t use it without my carbon monoxide detectors going off. It’s been 3 weeks since I called to complain, and they are finally sending out a repair person tomorrow. Hopefully it’s a quick fix.

• Sheri Brown
    last year

Has anyone had trouble with the ovens not holding the right temperature? We have a 48” duel fuel and the big oven seems to be running 30 degrees lower then what is shown. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!

• Michael Green
    last year

We've had our 36" all gas Hestan range for 5 months and have decided to move on. We just ordered a Fisher & Paykel induction range. We haven't necessarily had major problems with Hestan, but rather a few small things, plus stuff I'm tired of:

-I'm not sure if there's a problem with the lining that runs along rhe external face of the oven cavity, but often when we use the oven, the light will come on unless I press hard on the door. We had a technician come out and he said he put new hinges on the door and added new thermometers for the two elements, but I'm not sure how much it did. The light often still comes on (though not as much as before) and if the oven is at a decent temperature for awhile, the knobs get really hot and uncomfortable to touch. Overall though, we've been able to use the oven without any other issues.

-the stove top is great, and super powerful, but I now realize that isn't necessarily a good thing. I'm tired of having to use oven mitts whenever I want to move a pot, because the flames make the handles super hot. I'm also tired of getting uncomfortably warm when cooking.

-Yes, the powerful center burner is great for wok cooking, but I don't use the wok as often as I thought I would and I'm sick of the mess it makes and how difficult it is to clean everything. Looking forward to a glass top that I can easily wipe.

-I'm also tired of having to turn on the hood every time I use the stove or oven. With induction I won't have to run it unless it gets smoky or smelly.

I realize these are mostly just personal preferences and for the most part the range does what it's supposed to (small oven issues not withstanding). But I'm ready for a less stressful cooking and cleaning experience. I'm not going to tell you Hestan was a bad choice, but I really don't think any of us need something this powerful in our homes, nor is there really a point to spend that much. Also, none of us should be breathing in this much gas (but that's for you to decide).

• User
    Original Author
    last year

Hello all, this is Shirley, the original poster. It has been over two years since I wrote about my Hestan 48" dual fuel range (not the all gas) so this is a final follow up. Since my remodel was finished, I haven't been back here till now. I still love my Hestan and enjoy cooking on it. I realize others have had problems and I have sympathy for them. Maybe I got lucky. In my own experience there have been no serious problems after an initial adjustment for the oven racks. I am glad I added a 10"stainless back guard to protect my tile wall.

I use the big middle burner more than I expected. I bought a 14" frying pan for it and often make breakfast for two in that one pan. We recently adopted an elderly yellow Labrador, and for his health I have to cook all his food myself. I thank goodness for that big burner!!! I make a huge pan of dog food on it every two weeks. For all the burners, I rarely use the high setting. Most pans cook very well on med to low, or the high simmer--even the dog food. I make soap as a hobby/very small business, so I use the low simmer to melt my cocoa butter and shea butter. It is very slow and gentle, and has never scorched even when I forgot to check back on it :--)

As for the griddle I do enjoy it. It took time to get familiar with it. I set it at 375 degrees and it seems to cook everything nicely at that temp. Occassionaly I lower it to 350 or 325 depending on what's being cooked. I find lower than those temperatures are not worth doing. I put ahi steaks on it and let a crust form, then turn and form a crust on the other side, a really quick nutritious dinner with little fuss. It is great to caramelize sliced brussel sprouts, something blah can be made very tasty. I won't cook eggs on it though, I use a nonstick frying pan because eggs stick too much for me.

The griddle is a thick slab of steel, so it has to be allowed to come to full temperature before adding any oil and food, about 10 minutes. I find it easy to keep clean too. When it has cooled down a bit, I throw a wet microfiber cloth over it and let it steam. Then scrape the cloth all around with a spatula. That gets most debris off and makes clean up easy. Once in a while I have to use Bar Keepers Friend on a damp rag.

As I said in the beginning, I don't intend to use the self clean oven mode because it will fry your electronics. I manage to keep the oven fairly clean--cookie sheet under a cake in case of a spill over--did my last turkey in a Reynolds bag--use a covered dutch oven for stews--wipe up as I go--groan and clean it by hand once in a while. I frequently roast vegetables on a sheet pan but it doesn't spatter much. The make-up air is a necessity in my opinion. With these powerful burners a powerful vent hood is needed and so make up air is needed. I had the hardest time with the builder getting make up air, people were clueless. It is a good thing I had educated myself in the matter. Without MUA it would be smelling out my house and sucking air back down my fireplace chimney. So, after two years I am still happy with my range. Your mileage may vary.

• Josh
    last year

I’ve been living with my Hestan suite now for about 18 months, and seeing the recent activity made me think about our overall experience as well. We’ve got a 36” dual fuel range with a 42” Hestan Vent Hood, a 36” top compressor fridge, and the dishwasher.

Overall I’ve been really happy with the range. The oven seems accurate and works well, it preheats quickly enough and bakes and roasts evenly. The stovetop has been excellent. We use the center burner a lot, basically anytime we boil water, and it’s killer for searing steaks and fish too. Very happy with the range and would purchase again. The hood is also very good. Vents well, and runs quietly, easy to clean. Not much else to say there.

I like the fridge but I don’t love it. I like the metal and glass interior, but for the money it should have the off gas filters like sub zero, etc. If I could do it over again I’d buy a subzero fridge.

I HATE the dishwasher. It’s tiny inside and even moderately tall glasses don’t fit on the top rack. I feel like the dishwasher has 65% of the capacity of other dishwashers, and stuff is really hard to efficiently place in there. It’s incredibly frustrating to use and while it cleans well, we’re seriously considering replacing it already because it’s a huge pain in the ass.

When we were building, we had the option of Thermador or Hestan, and in a desire to be different we went with hestan. While I enjoy pieces overall, in hindsight I wish we’d have gone that direction instead.

User thanked Josh
  • Jeremy Seger
    last year

Hi - we have the 48” gas range in black and 52” hood. I elected to go with Thermador fridge and Bosch DW because of the feedback on this thread. Overall we really like range and hood. We get tons of complements on it and find it far more powerful than we could ever need. We had an initial issue with the oven where we smelled gas, but Hestan was reasonably quick to get it fixed.

I asked every salesperson and contractor about MAU, and all said it wasn’t necessary. Sure enough, the inspector actually called us out and made us put one in. I was very surprised, but ultimately happy we did it.

User thanked Jeremy Seger
  • lavieenroses
    last year

I purchased a freezer from Hestan and it was broken from the start. it took them over 4 months to get someone to repair it. I wanted them to get it back and refund me but they said they couldn't do that as it's not in their warranty. It was serviced in October but it still Not working. I want to get my money back but no one is returning my calls. I just filled a complaint against Hestan and I feel I'm not the only one who should

https://oag.ca.gov/consumers

• Christine Abuharoon
    last year

We have the 36 inch gas oven/range. The oven door opens just slightly when the temp is above 380 degress, which is not ok when trying to maintain over temp while baking. We had the first oven/range replaced for the same reason (it actually quit working altigether after about 8 hours of baking), and now this new one (same model) is doing the same thing with the door. Has anyone experienced this?

• Michael Green
    last year

Yes, this is exactly what we dealt with. The door would be flush while preheating. after we opened the door to put something in, it wouldn't go back to being flush. Unless you pressed really hard, you could actually see some light from the inside of the oven if you looked closely from the side. We decided to just junk it and switched to an induction range the other day.

• Christine Abuharoon
    last year

Ok thank you for the information. We are on our second range, so it is cleary a manufacturing defect.

• Marc Brenner
    last year

For Michael Green, what induction range did you decide to buy?

• Michael Green
    last year

Fisher & Paykel, 36”. Their ”contemporary” model

• Marc Brenner
    last year
    last modified: last year

Does anyone have experience with the Thermador 48 inch range preferably with the 2 induction burners but any feedback on their overall quality would be exremely appreciated.

• Chrstina James
    last year

Remodeling my kitchen and fell in love with the Hestan 36 inch gas range. After reading all the comments I’m completely confused if I should purchase it or go with another brand. Anyone else on this app have any feedback on the all gas Hestan 36 in range?

• Bob
    last year

Ordered my Hestan appliances one year ago when they quoted 5-6 month lead time. I just learned the refer and freezer columns will be another 6 months. I just got final, brand new house without a freezer or refer from Hestan. Zero communication, zero I'm sorry, only feel free to cancel your order. Hestan sucks.

• Chrstina James
    last year

Thanks Bob. Sorry that’s happening but I appreciate the feedback. Service is everything.

• David Ortiz
    last year

Sadly this is todays world. I’m in New Homes Construction and we have to order 9 plus months out now for many appliances.

• aaneals
    6 months ago

As an additional data point for others interested in purchasing a Hestan range, I thought I'd share my experience. I purchased the 48" gas range + dual oven for a kitchen remodel last year. I've had the unit over a year now and everything except the small oven has worked well. However, it's been a year, and Hestan warranty is still struggling to get the small oven working. As a few others have reported, there's a potential design flaw which causes the gas ovens to not fuction properly. In our case, even after replacing the defective pieces, the gas smell emanating from the small oven is overwhelming burns the eyes of anyone in the kitchen. I'm sympathetic to manufacturing defects and know that not every unit is perfect, but the concern has been that Hestan has been unable to fix the problem for over a year. It's unfortunate since, aesthetically, it's amazing and I've been finding every excuse possible to hold onto it. At this point, I've called in one last warranty repair to see if the root cause can finally be addressed or it's time to move on to something else.

Has anyone seeking a refund actually been successful and what was your experience? Thanks!

• Jaden Smirks
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

My experience: like the above comments from Christine Abuharoon and Michael Green (11 months ago, from 11/28/23) regarding the oven door not fully closing.

I purchased a model KRG365-NG. (A 36 Inch Freestanding Professional Gas Range with 4 Dual-Flow Burner System, 5.8 Cu. Ft. Capacity.)

Installation date: April 2022.

The oven door has been causing issues since nearly the first time it was used. Some of the knobs at the top become extremely hot to the touch (enough that one requires oven mitts to adjust certain knobs while in operation if one isn't excited about a trip to the local ER). Unfortunately, Hestan's service repair technician has attempted to adjust the door but it seems to get misaligned and needs adjustment shortly after or he hasn't actually fixed the problem. (The repair technician: he's really nice, polite, respectful, and sympathetic -- we're on a first-name level of familiarity at this point, nearly on the verge of sharing a beer every second Tuesday!)

Regarding warranty service issues:

Hestan hasn't been responsive in timely communications (weeks of being ignored or pat emails saying "your request has been transferred to the right dept blah blah" and then crickets...) or been honest regarding honoring their warranty coverage for malfunctioning systems. I have had multiple service requests to fix the oven after it stopped working, always sometime after the oven is used on high heat for several hours.

(SHOCK! It's an oven, Watson. How dumb of me to expect it to operate on high.)

To put it starkly: That's a non-working oven, folks, for a household that cooks a whole bunch for extended family and friends and hosts on the weekends. Significant levels of creativity and a whole lotta flexibility/patience are required to substitute on-range cooking for oven roasting.

The most recent exciting saga has been extended to a 6-week special (grab your popcorn, folks. This one has sequels!)

Hestan didn't bother responding to a detailed letter sent to their warranty dept. in October of 2023. Nor to a follow-up letter 2 weeks after it. (This is the third or fourth time, the oven has had the same issue amongst others.)

(Another tantalizing exclusive:

In the San Francisco Bay Area, home to a population of over 7.5 million humans there is a dearth of authorized service technicians. It takes time for them to be available for repairs; anywhere between two to four weeks. Then when a part needs to be ordered -- many times being a requirement -- add another several weeks to your broken-cooking-appliance-saga aka. buddhist-exercise-in-patience.)

My household's experience with Hestan has left us with a bad taste for the company. (And we are really good cooks.)

We would not recommend their appliances to others - based on their awesome lack of responsiveness to malfunctioning parts coupled with their lack of honoring warranty assurances (by replacing or exchanging the model) in situations where several service repair visits have occurred -- with no lasting fix. I wish I had known that the ability to endure and practice stoicism is a requirement when purchasing from HESTAN.

(Apparently, some products have quality issues -- that's to be expected. What isn't expected is not honoring their part of the warranty agreement.

It's a lack of integrity and feels like betrayal. Scheduling repeated service repair visits, [no fault to the repair dudes] I'm assuming, is a deliberate business decision to string along disgruntled consumers until the consumer gets exhausted of keeping up with the whole saga, they get deported, immigrate to Finland, convert to outdoor bonfire cooking, lose their memory, and drag on the non-response company policy till the pesky issue of a valid warranty expires. [pun intended.] Case closed.)

Bears repeating: Our model had issues with the oven (whether heating up properly or heating up at all) since a few short weeks after it was first installed by a licensed electrician.

As well, the oven door has issues closing fully so as to be flush against the oven cavity interior - to prevent escaping air, uneven baking temperatures, and hot, Hot, HOT, range/ oven control knobs.

The gas range, contrastingly, has always worked well, except for one burner whose simmer function has stopped working.

I am filing a complaint with the BBB. (I wish I had read their reviews, and had read this thread before choosing this company. It does place the company in an unflattering light). I wonder if the company will magically become more attentive.

Also looking at arbitration alternatives (warranty states either JAMS or the American Arbitration Association.)

If anyone has gone the arbitration route, please share your experience.

I am posting on this most useful thread for other consumers to let them (you) know that if one is dealt a bad hand with an appliance from Hestan, good luck with the fulfillment of the warranty promise. Or with timely service visits. (Easily over a month until the issue is addressed.)

If you want to play roll the dice with your appliances worth between $7, ooo - $12,000 plus installation costs, plus purchase of a (useless?) extended warranty, go ahead:

Sprint, don't shuffle, to your nearest HESTAN authorized seller.

• Bob
    4 months ago

I wrote about my Hestan Column Refrigerator and Freezer not showing up in March of 2023 when ordered in March of 2022....still no Freezer column. One year and nine months later, no freezer. Now the distributor PURCELL MURRAY is going out of business and Hestan says I need to pay again with new distributor. Ordered and fully paid for in March 2022, full kitchen suite, still no freezer column. They say the freezer column is coming in December, but I need to pay for it again since new distributor. I need to wait out PURCELL MURRAY's structured liquidation of assets to get previous payments returned. If Hestan had delivered in August of 2022 as promised, I would not be in this mess. Do not buy Hestan.

• Jaden Smirks
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Bob, that sounds awful. I'm sorry that you were dealt with so deceitfully by this company with shiny, gleaming exteriors. Sounds like a protracted mess. I agree, Hestan does not keep to their warranty agreements or to their delivery of products within reasonable times (comparable to other established companies). Though I didn't experience a delay of product delivery when we bought our appliance, I've since seen several reviews where the story of the product being delivered was delayed several months, as the projected date got pushed down further and further. Their reputation is really sinking; wouldn't be shocked to find out they were going out of business, at least their residential line of appliances. They do seem to be good on their metalwork. The gas range and heavy iron grates have held up to serious cooking. But the interior parts (in my case the oven function) seem to have serious issues with manufacturing or design.

On BBB, there is a similar story as yours. You should post your account on that site.

• Jaden Smirks
    4 months ago

@ aaneals: You last wrote: "It's unfortunate since, aesthetically, it's amazing and I've been
    finding every excuse possible to hold onto it. At this point, I've
    called in one last warranty repair to see if the root cause can finally
    be addressed or it's time to move on to something else.

Has anyone seeking a refund actually been successful and what was your experience? Thanks!"

Any follow up with Hestan worth updating us?

• gracie203
    2 months ago

DO NOT BUY A HESTAN RANGE! I ordered a Hestan 30" Pro Gas Range, KRG304-LP-BG on 6/29/21 through Johnson Bros Appliances in Bend, OR; it was installed by JB on 1/18/22. Our multiple problems began within 2 wks of installation with malfunctioning temperature, light, and then the entire motherboard failing. The oven has since failed numerous times for a variety of reasons. I have been without a functioning oven for 24 wks in the past 2 yrs due to multiple issues, time needed for diagnostics, ordering parts, scheduling repeat service calls, etc. I have sent emails to Hestan Customer Service and Service dept on 1/2/24, 1/17/24 and 1/28/24. No response. I have spoken with 2 members of their service dept (1/5/24, 1/12/24, and 1/23/24 while the JB service tech was here), all who have said they would escalate my concerns to mgmt. I have left voicemails for the service supervisor on 1/18/24 and 1/26/24. I spoke with the head of Customer Service (Cesar Valencia) on 1/26/24 who assured me he would take this to mgmt and get back to me within a week. I sent him an email on 1/28/24 recapping our conversation and again outlining all problems and communication that has occured. I have sent documentation of all service calls and invoices. I have since left 2 voicemails for Cesar (2/2/24, 2/6/24). The local sales person at JB contacted the Hestan rep who said he would request an exchange. The service dept at JB and the service techs at Hestan have all agreed this range should be exchanged/replaced. I have not received ANY communication back from Hestan. Ever. I am appalled at the unreliability of the product and the complete lack of communication, customer service, and attention to these repeated problems. I have lost all confidence in Hestan. I have now filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Hestan has a D- rating with the BBB, so I am not alone in my experience. If you are considering purchasing a Hestan product, I strongly advise against it.

• aaneals
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Sorry it took so long to follow up. At this point, not even the beauty of the Hestan range can salvage the poor execution and horrendous customer service. I expected more from a high end brand, but it's so disappointing.

I've been battling with Hestan and have finally been able to escalate up their customer service chain. I've had 8 repair visits scheduled with an authorized repair team, Kerenza Appliance Repair, and they've replaced a few parts but we're still having serious issues. Aside from the overwhelming smell of gas both ovens take 2-3 times as long to cook as compared with previous ovens (after pre-heating has finished). There's something fundamentally wrong with the gas ovens. I had requested either a refund or exchange to a dual fuel range where I'd cover the cost difference. Hestan said the best they could do was offer another year of warranty. Unfortunately, that's worthless to me since they haven't been able to fix the problem in over a year with 8 site visits. At this point I might just invoke the Lemon Law statute and take legal action against them. I can follow up with how that progresses. I can't believe it's come to this :(

• aaneals
    2 months ago

As an additional follow up, has anyone else had issues with the gas ovens taking 2-3 times as long to pre-heat or cook food? I suspect it's related to why there's an overwhelming as smell (gas leak) and the oven either isn't holding heat or it's not heating the way it should. Our doors on the small and large oven are also not aligned the same so there may be an air gap.