SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_595680368

Doris Day's $7.4MM Carmel Estate

Gizmo
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

ONCE I HAD A SECRET LOVE.......

Doris Day's sunny and private Carmel Valley Home along with her 8.62 acre Estate/Retreat are now on the market. Privacy, security and serenity are the keystones to this amazing sanctuary. 7000 sq ft plus main house, separate guest house cottage along with 2 gatehouse apartments make up this unique compound. The oak studded property has breathtaking vistas overlooking Quail Lodge Golf Course along with the Santa Lucia mountain range. Property must be seen to truly appreciate!

https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-1189-s79q2t/6730-carmel-valley-road-carmel-ca-93923

Comments (13)

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

Just what I would imagine her house would look like, all bright and cheerful. I’d have to put in a new kitchen and change the countertops in the bathroom. I also would not want to be looking at a golf course. I’ve never understood the appeal of, golf but many enjoy it.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    3 years ago

Her belongings were sold at auction earlier this year (with proceeds also going to her foundation), so the house is staged. This is what it looked like when she lived there,

https://hookedonhouses.net/2020/03/31/doris-days-house-carmel-estate-auction/

Much more cozy and much less 50s-60s mod lol.

Gizmo thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

My favorite color, inside and out. One thing I give old Hollywood credit for is they knew what was nice and what was tacky. All the Hollywood homes we see now are ultra modern with weird furniture, white on white on white on white. No imagination at all.

I looked at the house on google maps and it sits right on the road. I guess it would be the gate keeper's cottage, the one that looks like a red barn.

• User
    3 years ago

I love seeing it with her things inside. It was beautiful, sunny, and unpretentious-- as was she.

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

Oh, wow, do I love that house. I know I'm a nut: I love, love, love the yellow kitchen and white (Corian?) counters. I can't wait to do a kitchen like that. The setting, the huge fireplace, the spaciousness and courtyard.... Sigh....

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Lovely! And her original furnishings seem so very 60s to me - love it 😊

• User
    3 years ago

The property is gorgeous but I dislike the house, which seems like an uneasy compromise between cottage and contemporary and isn’t a good example of either. A developer will probably come in and raze everything to build a vest pocket subdivision.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

A lovely serene property. I loved the master bedroom. The main kitchen seemed a bit small though, by today’s standards.

• Gooster
    3 years ago

I love the grounds and the scale of the property and beautiful colors throughout but I'm not certain I'd like the separation of all the spaces.

• Sarah
    3 years ago

Wow! I have a piece of that same china pattern!

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I heard her being interviewed by Terry Gross on NPR at 90, she sheltered a lot of dogs at her house and they had their own sections of the house, so that may explain some aspects. I love the cottage vibe, combined with space, best of both worlds IMHO. I'd have to look past the golf course to the mountains. Quiet at night probably though . . . Lots of dough for irrigation in Mt. Carmel. I'd love to see an overview of the garden layout. Considering how many trees the lot has, I'm intrigued by how many plants are squeezed into the space. Very cottage garden esthetic and I'd love to know more about that aspect.

• sable64
    3 years ago

A lovely, livable house on beautiful acreage. We live about three to four miles away, and go down to Carmel Valley to buy pumpkins every fall. It's a wonderful landscape, something out of an English painting, with mountains and the sea. Doris Day's home, designed to perfectly reflect her, fits right in, sitting low on the land and not interrupting the view!

It will not be turned into a subdivision. The people of the area won't permit that. Years ago, a huge parcel of a few hundred acres - close to the D.D. property -, on both sides of Highway 1, from the sea to the hills, came up for sale, and a development company moved in with plans to buy it and build condos and townhouses. There was a tremendous hue and cry! And in came Clint Eastwood, who bought the entire thing, turned a lot of it over to non-profits, and preserved the rest, with Victorian buildings and the sheep ranch all intact. Today you can dine outdoors while watching the sheep grazing in a field just next to the beach. If you come here for a visit, Clint Eastwood's Mission Ranch is a must!

Pinkmountain - Concerning the plants on DD's property. Am pretty sure that they use drip irrigation. As do we, and most people who have gardens here. And that they use plantings that are drought-tolerant and deer resistant. If they don't, the plants will dry up and blow away, if they aren't first consumed by our local Bambis! You might be surprised at the varieties of flora that are suitable. E.g. lavender. Deer hate lavender. Our front yard has a lot of it!

Sable

Gizmo thanked sable64