SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennylu98

Kitchen layout dilemma

3 years ago

Hello everyone, I have been planning for my kitchen remodal for a few weeks now and every time when I think I'm ready to purchase cabinets, some issue pops up. (Where to put trash cabinet, not enough overhang space, kitchen sink smaller than I'd like..etc..)

I have a few layouts below, curious which version everyone likes.

Appreciate any feedback on this.

Comments (30)

• PRO
    3 years ago

None of the above . #1 walkway way too small and what is the stuff along the wall in the DR. #2 still no proper walk way size and still wondering about the stuff on the DR wall. #3 ahuge waste of space to get an island that makes no sense

• PRO
    3 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, Patricia! Curious what would you recommend?

• Related Discussions

Kitchen layout dilemma

Q

Comments (17)
    The island doesn't have space to be an island - it's hard to tell without a full set of measurements, but look at the space you have between the island the cooktop (1210mm or nearly 4') then look at the space between the corner of the island and the fridge - it's less than half that. Granted 4' might be a bit on the too large side given the over size of the house, but <2' (0.6 meters) isn't enough room to work with. There's a post called [New to Kitchens[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-dsvw-vd~5500754) that has lots of helpful info and also tips on how and what to post here to get the best help - like a full set of measurements for the space. It's good to know Wall A is a pain in the butt and cannot be moved, but we need more info =) Also as drawn, the island isn't really conducive to stools as it doesn't appear to have an overhang countertop - it's fine to have a non-seating island - you still get benefits of the countertop and you have your dining room right nearby!
    ...See More

kitchen layout dilemma

Q

Comments (2)
    I would take emilyam's advice, and use a side-loading pantry: Then use the open shelving on the wall where the fridge is now located. Have the upper cabinets on the range wall die into the window wall instead of turning the corner. And use all drawers in the bases. Are you planning on adding a peninsula where the table is now?
    ...See More

Kitchen layout dilemma, range/fridge/pantry

Q

Comments (4)
    I’d do a U shape w top windowless wall for fridge / window wall for sink and range and peninsula coming from wall left of range: opens it up . Seating on peninsula will Be more than 7 ft on small island and do away w 2 small aisles you show ( behind and in front island) . Peninsula end can incorporate post and peninsula seating is nicely down in your secondary zone off in the corner. I’d skip the pantry. Nice fairly wide u shape gives lots base storage and do away w small aisles and inadequate space for stools and blend in your post and no worry about beam. There : all issues solved w a more straightforward configuration .
    ...See More

Kitchen Layout Dilemma

Q

Comments (14)
    I cook a lot and a lot of that is Indain food so lots of spice and honestly my venting is more than adequate for that My hood vents staright up through the roof and I have a 36" all gas range with 6 burners one of which is a wok burner 1200 CFM hood .You have a DR so leave the eating space out of the space beside the kitchen then you have tons of space for a large island with seating You could then deisn the kitchen to have all true pullout pantries along the fridge wall and eliminate that out of thre way pantry completely. See if venting up through the roof could be done where the staircase is . Then that pantry space could be utilized for someting better IMo unless you cook with spices every day ther eis not real reason for a spce kitchen just really good venting in the main kitchen. Maybe share a bit mor einfo .
    ...See More
  • PRO
    3 years ago

I'm thinking of adding a table by the peninsula, thoughts on this idea?

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Option 2 -- ish. You need a round or square table if you ever want to use that door. And you need shallow depth cabinets for your pantry wall.

• PRO
    3 years ago

@rebasheba Thanks for your feedback! Do you mean something like this? Originally, I was intending the cabinets by the pantry as a beverage station. Might have to move that to a different location now.

That's not a door, it looks like one but its a large window. I hope to attach a table by my peninsula. Not sure how to best approach that though.

• 3 years ago

Yes, my comment about the pantry cabinets was to make more space to move around and pass by the peninsula end.

Regarding the table and butting it up against the peninsula, got it, yes I thought that was a sliding door! I guess I don't see the benefit in further restricting movement around the furniture, but if you need the seating you have to find it somehow!

If the windows are high enough from the floor, would you consider building bench(es) into the corner?

• PRO
    3 years ago

Yes, I'd love seating benches in that area. Unfortunately, the window is floor to ceiling height. : (

I made a few more modifications to extend the seating area with a wood table and push the corner cabinet out a bit. See layout and photo reference below, I think adding the table will help maximize space with that large window. Curious your thoughts.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Jennifer, thanks for taking the time to share your concepts above. We currently have a gallery setup and I love the work space facing the open area. And yes, agreed on moving the opening would give me a ton flexibility. I’ll give it some thoughts, great idea btw. 😊😊

• PRO
    3 years ago

@jennifer Just realize that I have draw the bottom as window instead of doorway. So the table you has placed is actually a doorway on the bottom and full window on right side. With this clarification, would you still recommend your suggested layout?

• 3 years ago

Hmm... I thought the door was on the right, not the bottom. What is through that bottom door? The U-shaped one might still work if the table were pushed centred on the right window instead of the bottom door. Traffic might be a little tight through that door. If you want to move walls around, I'd widen the opening, or move it to the left.

Here's a G shaped kitchen that keeps people out of traffic. But you lose the comfy table and only have seats for 2 instead of 4. Additionally, you'd have to be careful opening the dishwasher since there will be peninsula storage that can't be open at the same time. I'm not a big fan of this option really.

• 3 years ago

is it an option to change the floor to ceiling window? that would be a game changer and really allow for some fun and more functional design. If there is a window over the sink? making that a big one with a 42" sink will give a lot of light.

• PRO
    3 years ago

@Jennifer K The bottom doorway leads to the dining room now. We rarely use the dining room, so looking to convert that into something else after the kitchen update. was hoping to add a beverage station or some sort.

Do you dislike the G shape kitchen layout because of limited seating? I like the countertop facing the dining room direction because I can look over the dining + living room when prepping. See the screenshot below, the dark gray boxes are door openings.

@Julie Clark Hmmm... Yeah I thought of that few times. While I hate the wasted space in that area, but also like the full window in that place. Love/Hate relationship going on. If I were to convert that into a window. How would you maximize the space? Island? Thoughts?

• 3 years ago

i am not able to add a sketch right now but adapting option 3. Remove the end cabinet on the L. Replace the door with a window (same width as door and bench baxk height). Build bench under window with table and seating. You could do a shallow pantry on the opposite wall. i think you would still have room to do an island in the middle but not sure what the size would be

• 3 years ago

do you have a dining room in addition to this area? or is this kitchen/dining room?

• 3 years ago

Since you don't want your dining room anyway, ditch the wall between it and the kitchen and use the entire area as one space. Then you'll have room to do pretty much whatever you want. Yellow is where the openings could be:

You may want to consider whether replacing the floor to ceiling window with a shorter one might make the most sense. The main difficulty with that is finding exterior materials to match your current finishes. You also haven't mentioned a budget. That will constrain your scope.

• 3 years ago

Whether the below is possible all depends on accurate measurements. So it may not work at all. But this might be a possibility.

Floorplanner is a free, online application. You may find it useful.

• 3 years ago

Also, in option 2 what if you moved the sink to the window wall and made the peninsula smaller instead of 6.5ft you could make it 4 or 5ft long and keep your beverage area

• 3 years ago

I highly recommend you hire a kitchen designer. It will be the best money you will spend on this kitchen. We hired one 18 yrs ago when we did our remodel because there was very little about the footprint of our kitchen that we could change. Three doorways into the room and one wall which was the back of the stairwell couldn't be moved. We were able to add a bit a space from other adjoining spaces but it didn't require changing the roof line. Our kitchen has been surprisingly flexible over time and changes in our family. Originally the cabinets above the dishwasher were for dish storage, which is pretty typical. However, when we had our kids start emptying the dishwasher, we moved the dishes to the drawer in the island across from the dishwasher. The dishwasher can be fully open and the drawer can be fully open at the same time, which made this task simple. I can sit at my island enjoying my morning coffee and someone is able to fully open the refrigerator door behind me without whacking into my chair or asking me to move. That is what a good kitchen designer will get you. We can offer you suggestions but without standing with you in your kitchen, talking about your needs and wants, looking at your space and taking measurements, they are just that.

• 3 years ago

Option 1, sort of but reverse the sink and range. This gets your range closer to where you serve your meals; your sink closer to where you get your food out of the fridge. Whatever those cabinets are in the eating area make them 12" deep instead of 24". It will be easier to access whatever you store in them, and open up the eating space. Peninsula bar is optional, but creates a visual barrier and reduces space for a table. A level 36" wide surface around the range on the peninsula would be more flexible and contemporary looking. Especially with a killer hood. You could put 12" deep cabinets on the facing side of the range to store more stuff.

• 3 years ago

Why not a u-shaped kitchen? much more efficient, lots more storage and a place to eat.

• 3 years ago

also why not consider door from tv room to laundry and close door between laundry and kitchen?

• 3 years ago

it matters how close the range is to the dining? ... ID rather my sink closer personally for dirty dishes to go straight to and less carrying them clean if they are to be stored in the dining.
    the biggest concern I have with these plans is the pantry seems sooo far away from your work space. less footwork with a pantry near. your prep area.

• 3 years ago

just a quick mock up, without knowing more about your home, a layout like this seems it would be the best utilization of available space with out moving too many walls or doorways. the only major remodeling that would have to be done is moving the deck off of the kitchen to the dining, and subsequently the door, and possibly the stoves range hood... the result being a much more open plan, with lots of easy accessible storage and some great counter space (both sink, range, and fridge i made to be all 4 feet ) with lots of windows (I love windows) fir natural lighting and views. of course if you dont have a great view🤷 throw some upper cabinets in for more storage 🙃

happy Planning 😊

• 3 years ago

(me again 😁) I was thinking, you have enough space there, I've also seen it done where you can turn the stove 90 degrees towards your prep/pantry area in my above mock-up, and gain that much more counter space plus create more defined work spaces and still catching the dining rooms line of site that way

• 3 years ago

Hi Jennylu98. I hope I'm not too late to add my 2 cents worth. I'm currently going through a kitchen remodel and my cabinets are ordered.

To me, it looks like you're thinking about a sliding glass door OR window and it isn't yet installed. If that is the case, I have another idea for your kitchen . . . but first, a few things you'll want to know.

• You won't like the 33" lazy Susan because the opening is too small to get things in and out comfortably. I've had the 36" for decades and it's much better. Also, do not get the plastic Susan because they don't last. Spend a bit more and get the "Super Susan" which is wood turn tables on shelves. They hold more weight and don't warp and break.
    • You won't like your sink half offset beneath what looks like a 27" window. It'll drive you nuts and it looks awkward which makes reselling difficult (never say never selling).
    • By code in most cities you must have a minimum of a 36" walk way around islands, between cabinet surfaces (such as parallel cabinets in a galley kitchen), etc. You really need at least 42" for comfort.
    • You need 30" behind chairs and 24" width to seat people comfortably.
    • You need 12" overhang on a breakfast bar for knee room comfort and skip corbels because they are kneecap breakers! With quartz (which I'm getting) the installers can put steel braces for the top to have support.
    • Toe kick drawers are only 1" deep!
    • Don't forget toe kick and crown molding. (I didn't do the light rail at the bottom)

I don't know how to upload a photo floor plan idea, so I have to write it, so here goes:

Wall 1. Beginning on the pantry wall, I put a 3" spacer for ease and then 54" of 2' deep pantries (get pull out shelves) and then the refrigerator with a panel up each side. Then a rolling cart with your quartz choice top approximately 4' long. It sits in front of the floor to ceiling window. I would change the window dressing to have a pleated shade that pulls up from the floor and leave it pulled up to counter height. This way people don't see the cart and you have extra counter space or can move it where you need it. Also, if you ever sell, you can take it with you! On the other side of the window & cart is a 24" cabinet and then a 36" lazy Super Susan. You've turned the corner to Wall 2 (stove wall). Next to the Lazy Super Susan is your 18" drawer cabinet, 30" stove, 18" cabinet, and another 36" Lazy Super Susan. You just turned the corner to Wall 3 (sink wall). Next to the Lazy Super Susan is your 36" sink base with tilt out and bottom pull out tray (enlarge that 27" window if you can), 24" dishwasher and two 3" spacers in an "L" shape (you don't want the d/w crammed against a perpendicular cabinet). You've now turned a corner and you'll have an 18" double trash cabinet (or whatever style trash cabinet you choose). In the space created between the trash cabinet and the d/w, which has only access to the dining room door, goes a 3" spacer and a 24" cabinet (that opens in the direction of the dining room). You can then put a 36" regular or Dutch door with a window in it. You'd probably want to use stools with no backs on them so they could be tucked under, but you could seat 4 comfortably. You'd still be able to have 2 pendant lights hanging and also your recessed lights for the work area. It also gives 48" between the counter and the fridge. Now Wall 4. I would then have a 15"-18" deep 36" wide cabinet on the dining room wall behind the outside regular/Dutch door for a coffee center.

For what it's worth, be careful what cabinet brand you decide on. I researched about 40 different ones. The brand I used last time I'm not using this time. The one before that is okay but doesn't offer as many possibilities. Some companies reputations have gone downhill. You want good construction and you want soft close hardware. You also have to think about the base cabinet shelves. Some companies only have half shelves. You'll really appreciate pull out trays or drawers because getting on your knees to get something out of the base cabinet is not fun. Also, my place I ordered my cabinets from had an awesome certified kitchen designer who tweaked my floor plan (Dianna Tanis at CabinetDirect.com 1-888-263-3333 and no, I don't get a fee for recommending her).

I hope this is helpful.

• 3 years ago

Listen to Michelle! There is no mention of HOW you use your kitchen. Are you a serious cook? Baker? Young children? Teens? Mature couple? Entertain small / large groups? Make a list of all the benefits your kitchen remodel must achieve for you. What you can do without. Prioritize your list. If you have youngsters now, remember that they will not always be small people. Allow space for movement of several folks in the kitchen at one time .... or take a number! Sounds like a fun project. Good luck!

• 3 years ago

I have lived in C or U and G shaped kitchens and by far, the best and final kitchen we just completed resembles your third option and allows the best flow and flexibility to have 2 cooks in the kitchen. The large island is so handy for meal prep, service, hobbies and easy entertaining. Good luck!

• PRO
    3 years ago

I feel like the tables are too big in all the layouts, but my personal favorite is #3; just too big of a table.

• 3 years ago

This app is confusing. I'm wanting to replace my kitchen cabinets.