SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brittany_lowe33

Golden Pothos Brown Spots - Help a Plant Newbie

Brittany
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello! Definitely a plant newbie, and started out with a golden pothos, as they were told to be forgiving and easy houseplants, but I'm already struggling. I got my golden pothos about a month ago from a local plant store. It now sits on a shelf a few feet away from a large north-west facing window.

I did a lot of research, and I knew that overwatering was the biggest killers of these plants, so I've only watered my pothos twice since I've gotten it. Earlier today I noticed it was very droopy-looking and the leaves were curling in which meant it was time for a watering. I thoroughly soaked it and let it drain. That's when I saw the yellow and dying leaf that got me worried. When I got the plant, it had a few brown spots on it already, and I didn't think much of it. But now, I'm worried because even the new growth is browning.

Obviously there's a lot of varying advice about what causes brown spots out there - from overwatering to sunburn to diseases - so I figured I should just ask myself with my own pictures.

I don't think it was due to overwatering, like I said I've tried to be cautious about watering it thus far and it really needed the watering today. I read that pothos like to get comfortable in their pot, and can stay in the same pot for a long time without needing to be repotted - even if it looks root bound; so it's really hard for me to judge if it's root bound and needs to be repotted. I looked for root rot but didn't see any brown or mushy roots right away.

I am leaning towards repotting it, but don't want to shock it if I don't have to as it's starting to get into the fall season. Any advice would be appreciated. If it does need to be repotted, does it need a larger container? Or do you think it's something else?

Thanks!

Comment (1)