SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malita_green20

Bathroom help: bathtub dilemma

Megz
3 years ago

We are building a new home and I’m so afraid of picking something too trendy, impractical, or cookie cutter. Hence my bathroom layout/tub dilemma.

Like many others, I’m losing sleep over the “freestanding tub vs. built-in tub vs. nixing the tub for a big shower”. I’m 90% sure I want a tub. But I think that’s mostly because the layout of my bathroom screams “beautiful tub, front and center”. (It took me months to come up with my house plans and our plumbing is already roughed in, so nixing the tub altogether is probably not ideal.)

After reading hours of articles and forum commentary on the pros and cons of freestanding vs. built in, my practical mind wants to opt for the drop in. It’s cost effective, holds in heat well, easy to clean around, less risk of a short fad/trend, etc. BUT, those freestanding tubs are just sooo pretty yall! Its really hard for me to envision how a built in tub will look good here, (and not look cookie cutter in that back to back (toilet, tub, shower) layout.

I’ve looked at photos of built ins that have a more transitional/modern look that I like, but not in this kind of “alcove” layout. So, I just need help. I don’t want something impractical or too trendy, but I also don’t want it to be “basic” either. I also need to stay in my fairly modest budget. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (And, yes I know a freestanding may be tight. I only have about 75”)

Comments (20)