SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_740426961

Holly selection and design ideas

Rick Zuburg
3 years ago

I live in Raleigh, NC (Zone 7). I am a 68 year old working on my first landscape project. I have a comm two story colonial house with a side-entry attached garage. I have just removed the 38 year old shrubs from the front of the house and garage and researching what shrubs to plant.

The planting bed in front of the garage is 8 ft deep and 24 ft wide. The planting beds in front of the House are 14 ft deep and 16 ft wide on both sides of the entry steps.

I think I want some kind of holly as the base plants in front of the foundation. The window sills of the garage are 3 1/2 ft above the ground and the window sills on the house are 4 1/2 ft. I don’t want the Hollies to be much above the sills so am considering Helleri Holly in front of the garage and Compacta Holly in front of the house.

Since the bed in front of the garage is only 8 ft deep, I was thinking of planting verigated liriope as a border along the sidewalk with enough spacing to have them look like individual plants. I was also thinking of some type of narrow columnar plant around 3 ft wide and 6-8 ft high at each end of the garage (something like a Dee Runk Boxwood, Pencil Point Juniper or Jantar Arborvitae (although I don’t know if my local nurseries can get these))

I was thinking of a couple more rows of plants in front of the house hollies such as My Monet Florida shrubs with Crimson Pygmy Barberry in front of them. I would then continue the Liriope along the sidewalk. Last, I was thinking of a Green Mountain Boxwood on both sides of the stairs to have a change of height.

Please respond with any comments or suggestions and I will include some photos of the house, the beds and some mockups I put together.

Thanks

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County