SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lookingforgreeneyes

On the Horns of a White Paint Open Floor Plan Dilemma with a Solution?

C S
3 years ago

I live in an open floor plan house and would like to paint the living room, dining room, and family room white or off-white and stay away from creams and yellows. The maple wood floors have aged to an orange/yellow hue and I think a cream or yellow is too much yellow with the floor. I also have had cream walls for a long time and want a change.

The sunroom, kitchen and family room all share one big area. This area has skylights and faces to the southeast. The living room and dining room face to the northwest and are shadowy much of the day. The whites/off-whites I like in the sunny FR turn violet and gray in the shadowy LR/DR.

Here are the colors I have sampled. All are Sherwin Williams. Benjamin Moore is not convenient for me, so I'm sticking with SW.

-- Aesthetic White: love it in the family room area that get a lot of sun. I feel that it goes perfectly with my floor. It seems to balance out the orange and yellow in the floor. I would not have to paint the trim if I use this color because it does not muddy the white that is there. But it turns from a really pretty oatmeal light white to a gray-violet in the shadowy northwest-facing rooms.

-- Extra White: looks absolutely cold in the northwest-facing rooms.

-- Pure White: better than the Extra White in the northwest-facing rooms. I don't love it, but I could live with it. If I use this color, I need to paint the trim; otherwise, the trim, which is white, will look grayish. Having to paint the trim does not make me happy.

-- Creamy: pretty, but too yellow

-- Dover White: another color with too much yellow

I don't want to break the flow of my house by painting different colors in the family room, living room, and dining room. But, the Aesthetic White doesn't work in the darker LR/DR and I am not crazy about the Pure White in the FR. Here is, maybe, my solution. I would like to get opinions on whether this would work. I am also open to other colors.

There is a wall with a fireplace that separates the sunlit kitchen/FR area from the shadowy LR/DR area. Think of a big rectangle with a line that runs about 5/8 across the width of the rectangle. That's the wall. So between the FR and DR, a wall, then an opening, then another wall, which is the other side of the rectangle. There is chair rail on the wall that is the other side of the rectangle. There is also chair rail in the dining room.

My solution would be this:

Paint the wall below the chair rail Aesthetic White and the wall above the chair rail Pure White. Paint the FR, which gets a lot of sunlight, Aesthetic White and Paint the DR (above the chair rail) and the LR Pure White. Aesthetic White looks light gray at the point where I would stop painting it in the DR. It is about a foot beyond that where Aesthetic White takes on violet tones.

Would this flow or would it look awkward to have Aesthetic White below the chair rail in one area then on the entire wall in an adjoining area?

Comment (1)