Are colleges the start of a new Covid wave?

Iris GW

More than 1,000 students at the University of Alabama have tested positive for Covid-19 since classes resumed on the Tuscaloosa campus less than two weeks ago, according to the University of Alabama System.

The UA System coronavirus dashboard notes another 158 cases were recorded on campus over the course of the year prior to August 18, bringing the total to 1,201 cases. Classes resumed August 19.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/us/university-of-alabama-covid-19-cases-trnd/index.html

On Wednesday, the University of Georgia reported 173 confirmed COVID-19 cases from Aug. 17-21. This was up from 68 new cases from Aug. 10-14. UGA has reported 698 confirmed COVID-19 cases since the start of the pandemic.

32 of the 173 positive cases came from UGA’s surveillance testing of asymptomatic volunteers in the UGA community. UGA conducted 1,364 surveillance tests from Aug. 17-21. This is an improvement from the 793 reported surveillance tests during the previous week, but still slightly below the university’s goal to test 300 asymptomatic volunteers per day. The positivity rate also rose to 2.35% last week from 0.38% the week prior.

https://www.redandblack.com/uganews/uga-reports-increase-in-covid-19-cases-more-student-tests/article_481b0030-e865-11ea-9b07-f7b2c21704b5.html

A New York Times survey of more than 1,500 American colleges and universities — including every four-year public institution, every private college that competes in N.C.A.A. sports and others that identified cases — has revealed at least 26,000 cases and 64 deaths since the pandemic began.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill sent most undergraduates home after clusters popped up in campus housing. Notre Dame delayed in-person classes as students tested positive by the dozens, then the hundreds. Clemson, Baylor, Louisville and dozens of other Division I universities reported cases in their athletic departments. And at Iowa State, aggressive testing of students moving into dorms turned up scores of cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-college-cases-tracker.html

I don't think it's looking good and they are not yet all returned.

SaveComment36Like2
Comments (36)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Colleges, just like high schools and elementary schools as well as all sports will come grinding to a halt once the spreading picks up. Like trump said, it will be a miracle when it disappears.

1 Like Save    
AITG

Something about a bear and woods.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I was just reading about colleges and universities in the US with Covid-19 cases. (This list was in today's NYT dead-tree edition, but evidently posted online a few days ago.)

Texas is well represented on the list.

Tracking Coronavirus Cases at U.S. Colleges and Universities

26,000+ Cases - - - 750 Colleges

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-college-cases-tracker.html

Edited to add: Posted too soon; I didn't see the NYT link in the OP.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Oh geez - schools here in my country opened this week, and Gov. Death Sentence is now pushing air travel, saying we've had a drop in numbers. Numbers of infections in schoolkids and staff are extremely concerning, but we're expected to overlook that, I guess.

Saw this the other day...

7 Likes Save    
deegw

Open up while thinking it probably won't go well. Collect tuition and housing fees. Blame students for spreading COVID. Close doors.

1 Like Save    
studio10001

carol, I heard that the sites which closed for weather either didn't re open or did w reduced testing hours. Any truth to that, that you know of?

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

No idea, studio. I know our mayor here is trying to provide testing for city residents. Our governor seemingly doesn't much care for him and other leaders trying to go above and beyond the state.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Is DeSantis a total moron? Rhetorical question.

Florida relies on tourism/seasonal residents for it' s existence. Who the heck with half a brain would go to Florida? In his stubbornness to pretend all is well he is going to strangle Florida' s economy. Guess there is an upside , traffic won' t be as bad and getting into a restraunt will be easy.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Let's hope they don't go home to mama while the college is closed or they are on suspension ...

A large party is suspected as the origin for a coronavirus outbreak at New York's SUNY Oneonta, which has led to a halt on in-person classes for at least two weeks.

Dozens of students have been suspended for violating the code of conduct, chancellor Jim Malatras told CNN's John King.

“Socializing is great, but we have to do this differently. We have to control this virus. And I’m going to keep reinforcing that but also enforcing discipline because we can't have this get out of control across the state,” he said.

“We noticed that there was a large party early last week. It resulted in several Covid cases. Twenty Covid cases became 105 cases. We stepped in immediately,” Malatras said, adding that SUNY’s upstate medical facility is doing 75,000 tests a week through the SUNY system.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

All those students must have been rioting Dems. /s

1 Like Save    
chisue

Trump Toady Dr. Brix, who didn't warn against students returning to classes anywhere, now wants college students to stay on campuses *to avoid spreading COVID*.

Guess they can just keep spreading the virus among themselves. Guess the professors, other college employees, and people living in college towns and cities are expendible. (After all, they are making money!) Guess the medical facilities in small college towns will be able to care for huge increases in COVID cases. Guess no sick kid will be calling for his mom, nor will she travel to his side...or bring him home! /s

HOW could the Trumpsters have made this situation WORSE?

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

The University of South Carolina has reported more than 1,000 students who have tested positive for the virus and are currently active cases. The figures, made available on theuniversity’s Covid-19 dashboard, include a nearly 28 percent positive test rate for students between Aug. 28 and 31.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/world/coronavirus-covid-live.html

Save    
Iris GW

Colleges continue to rack up new infections. Have K-12 schools calmed down or just all gone virtual?

More than 513,000 US children have been diagnosed with Covid-19, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children's Hospital Association. Children represent nearly 10% of all reported cases in the US, according to the groups' report released Tuesday. They found that 70,630 new child cases were reported from August 20 through September 3, a 16% increase in child cases over two weeks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-mask-tweet/index.html

Save    
Iris GW

Now that it's after Labor Day, the rest of the nation's schools are starting. Anyone know what percent are in-class instruction vs. virtual? How's it going in your area?

Save    
foodonastump

Not college, but my kids started hybrid yesterday. After all that planning, dozens upon dozens of emails and phone calls about safety measures and protocol, both kids came home reporting a teacher not wearing masks. One because it was hot, and the other because he felt his voice wasn’t projecting. I never considered that it would be the teachers, the leaders, not complying.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

That's terrible. So what is the definition of hybrid in your area? 3 days a week in class and 2 at home or something like that?

Save    
foodonastump

Yes, either Tue/Thu or Wed/Fri, with the groups alternating Mondays. My neighboring district (same town) broke it up into four cohorts, Monday cleaning day and kids in school just one day.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

My sons college is using a hybrid model as well. Classes that usually meet 3 days a week have 1/3 of the class in attendance each day and 2/3 attend online. My son has one Tues/Thur class with around 50 students in it that meets in an auditorium that will hold over 200. Labs are all in person.

Last he reported, a couple days ago, there were 40-50 student Covid cases and 4 faculty cases. The semester started in mid August. Total enrollment is 11K+.

Save    
foodonastump

My God daughter went back to NC State, her roommate caught Covid partying, GD caught it from her, passed it on to her boyfriend, BF’s roommate went home. (And hopefully didn’t take it home with him.) Goes around quickly.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

A friend says they had a family get together planned but grandma is a Trump supporter and disregarded precautions, got Covid, spread it to immediate family members and now, of course, the get together is cancelled. Thanks to grandma.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

And there's research showing there may not be such a thing as symptomless Covid-19. IOW if you have no outward signs damage may still occur to key organs.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Teachers and principals are us. Some think it's (mask wearing) infringement and don't care about policy.

The principal has a key role.

Save    
foodonastump

Principals may have heard.

Save    
Iris GW

For those interested in college increases, apparently Georgia is #1 now. Who's next?

https://www.ajc.com/education/ajc-on-campus-covid-19-case-updates/TQTEUAZGG5GNZIP7DFTRKPK2ME/

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Still churning out cases thanks to kids who just wanted to party for a bit:

As the fall semester kicks into gear, college campuses have become the pandemic's newest hot spots. The New York Times reports there are more than 88,000 coronavirus cases at the nation's colleges and universities.

Scott Carlson, a senior writer at The Chronicle of Higher Education, isn't surprised by those numbers.

"A lot of people thought that there would be an explosion of cases on campus," Carlson says. "Most of the students that I talked to — for example, at USC — they all knew that the colleges couldn't keep this under control. They just wanted to turn up for a few weeks to see if they could have something of a fall semester experience."

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/16/913500758/as-campuses-become-covid-hotspots-colleges-strain-under-financial-pressures

Save    
Sue 430

Here most of the colleges are mostly online, but kids are still on campus, partying. I’m volunteering as a contact tracer, and I talked to almost all college kids thus week. Pretty much all of them said they were exposed by roommates

Save    
elvis

Pretty much all of them said they were exposed by roommates

So the people you contacted as potentially exposed, blamed their roommates, do I understand that correctly? And are those roommates (who are being blamed) the ones who tested positive, thereby triggering your contact tracing?

I'm trying to understand your statement^^^.

Save    
maifleur03

Some colleges are now suspending or dismissing students when they are not abiding by the individual college code of contact.

Edited to add a link. https://apnews.com/14716c5cb28072491df9729c7f0867ae

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

now suspending or dismissing students when they are not abiding by the individual college code of contact.

I wonder if they promptly go home and infect their relatives?

Save    
elvis

maifleur03

Do some research on contact tracing instead of attacking a poster who provided information. You already know the answer but just wanted to snark.

What's the matter with you?

That's no snark, it's an honest question. Get a grip.

My question stands.

Save    
Sue 430

Yes, roommates tested positive, which prompted us to call the people they were in contact with, to clarify though, we don’t know who exposed them, just that they were exposed, they just happened to mention that they knew it was their roommate. On the positive side, most said they isolated themselves as soon as they found out , Hopefully it is true

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"I wonder if they promptly go home and infect their relatives?"

Some schools have them quarantine before traveling. However, the only enforcement the schools have is to make following the protocol essential for admittance in the future.

Some schools don't have the requirement for isolating before travel.

Save    
bfox254

I know of one incident where a student who traveled home to my area after JMU closed down unknowingly infected his entire family. Most have a mild case except his mom who is very sick.

Save    
numbersjunkie

My friends daughter is in college in GA. Two weeks after arriving, she got sick and tested positive. Shes still at the sorority house because "they're all sick". But at least 2 roommates refused to get tested because they didn't want to have to quarantine. This is why we will be dealing this for an extended period, many more will die, businesses will fail.

Save    
maifleur03

I used to think that the Quarantine Laws were too harsh. While some of them were the forcing of testing on people who were with someone who was found to be ill is one that I now agree with. Not ready for pest houses but arrests and large fines for those who knowingly endanger others should be restarted.

Save    
studio10001

Cases in my town have doubled this past week, due to uni effect. The bars have opened, and retail busniness has been very high - think I mentioned on another thread that the students actively do not care. The only concern I have heard from any of them is that they might take the virus home on holiday break. There is no quarantine protocol in place :' we ask that you self monitor for two weeks'...wth.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz 14 Things You Need to Start Doing Now for Your Spouse’s Sake
You have no idea how annoying your habits at home can be. We’re here to tell you
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: A Soothing Fresh Start in Dallas
See how a designer helped outfit a time-strapped family's new house in a contemporary, relaxed style
Full Story