SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a_genghis_kuhn

dealing with nightmare hill made of broken tile / trash

John Kuhn
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

dear landscapers

I write with a classic question: we bought a house and are trying to deal with some of the insane choices made by the former owners. Behind the house (built 1890) is a hill that runs the width of the property. Half of it is a normal hill with grass on it. It's kind of a sharp slope, unpleasant in winter (we are in Central New York), but otherwise normal. Half of it is a nightmare. There is a broken patio above the hill that we are going to replace soon, but the real issue is the hill, and I was hoping to get some advice about it before we even started on the patio. The top of it appears to made mostly out of broken tile, smashed bricks, and cement blocks mixed with dirt. At first we thought it was just on the surface--they had been storing a boat on it and we thought maybe it had something to do with that--but after we removed some of the broken tile from the top, digging into it revealed that the hill seems to be *composed* of this material. There also is a wall of sorts, which appears to be made out of broken asphalt chunks (I think). There are blackberries scattered around on the hill (a kind of inexplicable choice, since this area is shaded by a large maple in my neighbor's yard--the blackberries stay pretty sour as a result), and a patch of wild ramps at the bottom. The bottom of this side of the hill has flooding issues, and a large puddle will form at the base when it rains. The whole yard is 50' wide. What do you think we should do with this space? We can't get large equipment into the backyard (anything that can't pass through a gate). I don't know much about landscaping, and am kind of at a loss and am looking for some basic ideas and guidance before I approach a professional. Any thoughts?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida