SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_943721621

East Facing Home- Pros, Cons, Advice!?

Brittany
3 years ago

First post because I couldn’t find an answer anywhere else! We have a 2.16 acre FLAT (no surprise there) lot in Illinois. My husband wants us to face East so we essentially have a larger backyard. We will be starting a family after we build so also want to try to keep kids away from the main road.

We want a 1 story ranch home with a large back porch and a smaller front porch. 2250 square feet. We don’t have the official layout yet but it will be an open concept living/kitchen/dining area which will be in the center of the house. Bedrooms/laundry rooms/garage on the sides.

I designed the layout to have the kitchen at the front of the house with a large bay window to get the morning sun/ it’s not hot in the evenings when I’m cooking.

What are the pros and cons to an east facing house? What else should I be aware of??? How can I be most effective with passive solar heating and cooling if the main area is located in the middle of the house??

I included the location of our lot as well as the plat of survey from the previous land owner. As you can see, he was going to build and have his house face North. You’ll notice the neighbors have their house facing East as well, but we don’t care about matching or lining up our house with theirs.

Please share your wisdom!

Comments (27)