SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jestarr82

Help with Laundry Room/Small Office Combo

jestarr82
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I just bought a house that has a small bedroom next to the master bedroom that I was planning on turning into an office, with a small space for a Peloton bike. The house doesn't have a laundry room currently, and after walking the house with a plumber, it seems like the best (and least expensive solution) would be to also make that room into a laundry room since that's where the existing drain line is. The storage area on the floor plan is the attic/dormer. We might expand the house that way down the road, so we could potentially move the laundry room at that point as well, or perhaps the office.

I'm seeking advice for the best way to layout the room for maximum efficiency, and practicality. Small laundry room, office, and stationary spin bike.

We like the idea of side by side front loading machine/dryer with a countertop above for folding. Then perhaps a small hanging rod to mount, and either a shelf or cabinet to hide away the laundry detergent.

I'm curious to see layout options.

The Desk is 72 x 30 (W x D), and the washer and dryer are 27 x 30 x 39 (W x D x H). I think that it would also make sense to have a small sink in there as well. I'd be open to stacking the units as well if that makes the most sense. The existing plumbing is where the bathroom is, so we are talking about putting the washer/dryer on the left wall of the room.

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Locate the water as far away from all the things that will be damaged if they get wet (ideally in a different room). Locate the Peloton bike where it will not feel like it is stuffed into a room with an office and laundry.

Consider sleeping in the "Office/Bedroom" and locate all the other stuff in the "Bedroom".

• jestarr82
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect We don't have a better place for the Peloton, and this is the best solution I can think of for the laundry. I'm trying to work within the existing footprint provided.

• Related Discussions

small small laundry room

Q

Comments (1)
    GWers are great at this sort of thing and will offer up many viable ideas and options for you. Do you have at least a rough sketch with dimensions (inlcuding placements of doorways and windows) of your space that includes all areas that need modification? A whole house plan would be best of all.
    ...See More

X-post: show me your combo craft room/laundry room

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't yet have a room to show! We are building a house and I am just looking for ideas from people who've already done this. There is a new thread about organizing a craft room, and that one could help me too. I will have a relatively small space, approx. 7'x9', and I am looking generally for ideas that might help me decide how I want to organize the space -- put in counters and cabinets, arrange work space, etc. It's just a big blank sheet at this point! I've cross-posted this on the building forum and now that someone has posted about organizing a craft room here I'm sure I will get some ideas. Thanks!
    ...See More

Setting up living room small office area combo

Q

Comments (4)
    If you want to convey the idea of separate spaces, you could use one big rug for your "office" and another for your "living room". I am not a person for rug decisions, but plenty of posters here are! Yes, to some bookcases on the wall with one picture stuck in the middle. You could get tall bookcases with cabinets below. Put all the loose messy stuff into the cabinets, so the room looks more spacious. You might even be able to get pull out file drawers for the bookcases. No doubt Ikea could fix you up with these. The bookcases need to be tall, since everything else is pretty squat. Add some conspicuous plants so the room seems more alive.
    ...See More

Help needed - Small living dining room combo - layout added

Q

Comments (14)
    Try a 3-seat sofa facing the windows with a coffee table and two chairs, one at each end of the coffee table to form a "U." Use a drop leaf table behind the sofa to serve as a dining table/sofa table.Hang art opposite the grouping with a console or credenza below it. On the large wall add casegoods (bookcases, a secretary, display cabinets.) Additional art between the bedroom and entry doors. Scale is different below, but just for concept of a "U" and of a sofa/dining table.
    ...See More
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

It will be tight. I’ve had exercise equipment in a garage, basement as well as in a laundry room.

Where did the previous owner do the laundry?

My laundry rooms have always been in the basement. I’m now in my 60’s and still don’t mind this location.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Would you be doing your full time job from this office, or is it just a home office for bills etc?

• Nick
    3 years ago

I tend to agree that you're trying to get one room to do too much. If we did that in our house I pretty much guarantee that I'd be using the dining table as a desk within about two days. I think a lot depends on how much you use an office at home. Do you work from home, or is it for the occasional admin? Do you need room for peripherals? Also, how much do you use the dryer?

But if you want to put all three in there, my layout would be:

From top left corner downwards: dryer, washer, sink, tall closet in the bottom left corner that would house ironing board and other laundry related items. Lines for drying clothes above the washer dryer sink.

Desk at right angles along the top wall facing the window.

Bike in the middle wherever you can find space.

• jestarr82
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@bpath It would be an occasional office under normal circumstances, but where I work from due to my office being closed for now.

• jestarr82
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Nick We don't have a great laundry solution. The prior owner had a washing machine retrofitted into a linen closet on the first floor. It sticks out from there about 8 inches. The dryer is in the Utility room. We were hoping to put the Washing machine in the utility room as well but there isn't a waste line (that we know of) on that side of the house, and digging up all the floors to even check would be cost prohibitive.

• Kaytee
    3 years ago

Personally I think it can be done. Your desk is rather large though. Maybe tape out everything on the floor and see if it fits.

• SBDRH
    3 years ago

I agree, the desk seems large. I work on a 36" x 18" desk with plenty of room for my laptop, mousepad, and notebook. My wife has a dual monitor setup on her desk and it's 48" x 24".

I'd suggest the washer/dryer on the wall backing to the toilet and sink. Place your desk against the opposite wall, then have the peloton bike immediately on the left when you walk in the room, so you can have a view out the window while exercising.

• booty bums
    3 years ago

I'm confused as to why you want to cram all of this stuff into a tiny 10' x 9' room.

How would you work in there with the washer/dryer thumping around?

You have a 13' x 18' bedroom.

Why can't you put the office desk and/or Peleton bike in that room?

• chicagoans
    3 years ago

(not a pro) I'd do a stacked washer and dryer for sure and look for a smaller desk, and consider putting either the desk or the bike in your bedroom. What is in the alcove between the bathroom and bedroom? Is that more closet? (Hard to tell with no wall there.) I'd want the W/D near the exterior wall for ease in venting the dryer.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

The room is too small to put everything in it you want. You are going to need to make modifications. The desk 70" X 30" is a BIG desk.

A Peleton is a large piece of equipment.

W/D are large appliacnes

and you want to place it all in a roughly 100 square foot imprint (being generous)

I think you will need to eliminate the desk. When you do the counter over the washer and dryer have them do one of two things. Do one straight run of counter and use a counter stool on one end for it to double as a desk surface OR have them drop down the height to a desk height on the one side of the washer dryer.

• jestarr82
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We can certainly put the Peloton in the bedroom. That might be the ultimate solution. As to the office/laundry room, my wife is going to have a small desk in the bedroom, so this is the best solution I have. As I said, this was always going to be our home office. The additional wrinkle is the need to put the laundry in the same room.

I see a few options:

• Stackable Washer/Dryer on wall by window in far left, with desk right next to it
    • Desk in window area, with Washer Dryer side by side on left wall by bathroom
    • Desk on right wall (or same wall as door) with Washer and Dryer on left wall

• bpath
    3 years ago

What about the area outside the bathroom? If you close it off, you could create a laundry closet there, opposite the closet. It would be small, but convenient. Or, alternatively, where the closet is shown, and use the other side for a larger closet.

• yvonnecmartin
    3 years ago

Can you use any of the attic/dormer now for a temporary office? It would be nice and quiet and one could leave a mess without interfering with other activities. Maybe all it needs is a plywood floor that you could cover with a carpet remnant and electric power.

• Nick
    3 years ago

I wondered if that attic/dormer could be used for the bike. I'm less fussy about my exercise space than work space (as evidenced by my body shape) and an unfinished space with limited natural light would probably work for me. A TV, light and bike would work.
    I'd still be using the dining table to work if I shared my office with the washer, though.

• SBDRH
    3 years ago

A peloton bike is 24" wide and 48" long. With a smaller desk, I think this could all be squeezed into the room. It'd be tight, and you'd be walking around the bike every time you needed to access the washer/dryer.

• jestarr82
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Interior South It looks like moving the Peloton somewhere else should definitely happen. With that said, what are your thoughts on the layout options I outlined above?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

The Peloton should be located in a spot that simulates, as close as possible, as if you were traveling down Highway 1 on the California coast. Lots of room and a great view. The closer you get to that, the better experience it will be using it, and it will get optimal use. Cram it in a small room and it may become "storage".

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

If you are having water lines run and plumbing they are likely going to do it on the wall I placed the washer and dryer on. This would be the most cost effective since water already exists on that wall. Unless you have it elsewhere and have not specified. If you lose the Peloton then I would likely keep the washer and dryer as I show them so you can have a long counter to fold on and drop the desk in on opposite wall. I don't like it under the window because your back should never be to the door. To save yourself money down the road you need to decide where you want the office. The existing room? Or the storage dormer? Where is the drainage stack? If that room is south facing as indicated it gets nice light. Do you need more light for an office or a laundry? Last it seems quite feasible and cost effective to create a laundry room from the get go by building into the storage dormer.

All that said if this were my home I would save and wait. I would plan on doing a renovation on my master bathroom and creating a larger and more functional master ensuite where I connected the small room to it and specifically flagged it as an exercise room. closing it off from the hall as part of my ensuite. Then I would build my office and laundry in the storage space.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMo the W/D in the walk in closet and build a reachin closet along the keft wall , use Pax from Ikea you will probably end up with more and better closet space than the walk in.Then the office and bike in that other room IMO no w/d where you work.

• jestarr82
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Interior South It's hard to look at this room in a vacuum without me mentioning our long term plans with the house. The house is a 3BR, with 2 BR downstairs. The house has potential to build out on both sides, but we would ultimately like to build out the right side (where the attic dormer is) to put 2 BR upstairs. The left side of the house has a vaulted ceiling in the Great room that we both love. We have 2 kids, and would prefer them to ultimately be on the same floor as us. When we do the addition, we would be looking to reconfigure the upstairs, and repurpose the 2 BR downstairs. Initial thoughts would be to move the office into an office/guest room, and perhaps relocate the laundry down there. At that point, we'd have the option of doing a bunch of different things with the current office room. Whether it's expanding our master bath, making it into a dedicated laundry room, adding a 2nd bathroom upstairs, etc. Picture below. The plumbing lines are all located where you see the master bath(kitchen, downstairs bath).

• bpath
    3 years ago

Was it originally a one-story ranch with the upstairs added?

• jestarr82
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@bpath yes!

• Ying Wang
    3 years ago

Hi jestarr82, we live in the San Francisco Bay Area where real estate is very expensive. We think it is a luxury to have a dedicated room just for laundry, home office and exercise!

This is how I would design it:

You will achieve the following:

1. All the required functions
    2. Both the washer and the sink are close to the water lines in the bathroom
    3. Space for the Peloton bike arm exercises. I put the bike off-centered in the open space, so you can use the space above the counter/sink for your arm exercises.

You can place a TV on the opposite wall of the bike and play beautiful sceneries as background; Or on days when you don't want to do the Peloton exercises, watch your favorite TV shows while exercising. A mirror there will also make you feel good when exercising.

Iron board can be placed on the wall behind the Peloton bike (bottom left corner), if needed.

Each grid is 6" wide in my drawing. The only tight space is that you only get a bit over 30" between the bike and the edge of the deck, but I don't think it is a big issue. Personally I would not give up a big desk if you need to work from home. It makes a difference to have a sizable deck.

Hope this help. Good luck!

jestarr82 thanked Ying Wang
  • jestarr82
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@wdccruise any chance you can draw it for me so I can visualize?

• jestarr82
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Ying Wang I can relate as we are moving from a NYC apartment to the suburbs outside of NYC. Of course my top choice would not have these many functions in the same room, but I'm trying to maximize the space we have as efficiently as possible.

What about instead doing a corner desk like this?

Also, what did you mean needing space above the sink for Peloton arm exercises?

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

Your current 6-foot desk would be too long.

• Ying Wang
    3 years ago

@jestarr82, let me answer your questions:

- A corner desk helps widen the space between the desk and the bike, but it takes away the space in front of the washer/dryer. You also need to buy a new desk. Personally I would not do it.

- Peloton's programs include arm exercises and stretches on the bike. Peloton Guide (http://pelotonguide.com) says: "While the bike is fairly small (roughly 2’x 4′), you will need a good amount of distance to your sides and overhead in order to do the arm exercises and stretches on the bike." Since you are doing these exercises while sitting on the bike, you can easily use the space above the counter/sink.

Hope this helps.