SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauraldafonte

General Contractor tripled the budget, has my retainer!

lauraldafonte
3 years ago

I hired a well known General Contractor who builds million dollar homes to remodel my second home. After two meetings and a discussion of the scope of the project we retained him at the cost of 25K, to draw up plans and get approval from our review board as well as a few other obligations the agreement specified. Our initial start date was to be two months later, but we had not seen any ideas for those two months and even then the plans were just sketches. We had a budget of $350K-$400K which was all we were willing to spend. This would have been a total investment in a property of $1M. The house is approx. 3200SQF. and it needed a total update in and out. The contractor strung us along for 9 months and would not bid on the project until all the drawings were completed. We had constant concerns that we expressed about money and time. Low and behold the bid came in three times our budget at $1.16M, and he has asked us to scale back the project. We cannot use the current plans and we are back to square one. At this point I have no idea how much of our retainer he has spent since we never got any statements, but the entire project is unusable. I feel like he owes us our entire retainer of $25K. Does anyone know if this is legally true?

Comments (29)