SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marmajam

Exterior Paint Dilemma -- Lots of Considerations

marmajam
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We purchased an older house as a fixer-upper, and it desperately needs to be painted. The current beige/tan color matches the roof, but I don't really like the color and want to change it. There are some considerations that keep us from just picking any color we like:

--->The house has a field stone facade, and we know we need to pick a main color that matches it. (The stone work also needs to be cleaned and repaired, and that's on our to-do list.)

--->The newer windows on the house are white vinyl, so I'd like to do white trim to match. (I've seen houses that use a different color trim around white windows, and it just looks "off" to me.) The trim colors we're currently considering include Sherwin Williams Shell White (SW 8917), Behr Swiss Coffee (12), Behr Polar Bear (75), and Behr Yucca White (YL-W08).

--->We've got a tan metal roof. The roof will need to be replaced within the next few years, but that's not in the current project scope, so the paint color we choose needs to work with that.

--->We live in a mountain town, so there are lots of mountain-type exterior paint schemes used here. (Unfortunately, the one house I've seen that uses the same stone as is on our house uses very dark paint colors, and my husband doesn't want our house to be that dark.)

--->I have tried samples of various greens based on the colors I'm pulling from the field stone facade, but I really haven't liked any of them. So we've gone a different direction and are trying out some golden colors, since the stone has a lot of really warm golds in it. (We also live in an area where the leaves change colors in the fall, and I have always really liked the golden color some of the leaves change to.) Here are some of the colors we've liked when we've use the color visualizers on the websites of paint manufacturers: Behr Blonde Wood (M250-7); Sherwin Williams Gallant Gold (SW 6391); PPG Ginger Beer (PPG1202-7); Behr Light Copper (310D-6); and Behr Mayan Gold (310D-7). The visualizer screen shot I'm including shows Gallant Gold on the main body of the house. I'm really hoping to avoid our house looking like a giant pumpkin or resembling the contents of a baby diaper. (Sorry to be gross, but I've actually seen colors that have made me think back to my kids' baby days....)

--->We'd like to do a fun color for the doors -- something that works with everything. However, there is dark red (purplish in some places) tile on the floor of the front porch, so the door color needs to not clash with that. (I've matched the lighter parts of the tile to Behr Red Stone (#700B-5).) We are considering something green for the door and, so far, in the visualizer, we've like Behr Rainforest (M440-7) best, although I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

We are in the process of replacing the trim on the windows, which is why many of them don't have it in these photos. I am also including that screen shot of the visualizer. (We have tried using the visualizers with actual photos of our house, but they work very poorly. I think it may be because of the texture of the log siding?)

I so appreciate any help and advice you can offer. Thank you!!!!

Comments (5)