SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

I'm ordering a hoop - if - - -

Tina Marie
3 years ago

Someone will please share (again I know) which hoop/where to buy. Thanks so much!!

Comments (45)

• hhireno
    3 years ago

Sorry, I’ve had mine (one at both of my places) for years and don’t remember where I got them. But it would have been a brick & mortar store since I rarely shop online - and that isn’t helpful because who’s shopping in b&m stores right now?!

Tina Marie thanked hhireno
  • Bunny
    3 years ago

What? A hula hoop? A hoop skirt? Earrings? Basketball?

Tina Marie thanked Bunny
  • Related Discussions

To hoop or not to hoop

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't always hoop my article. I use sticky stabilizer or spray adhesive on regular stabilizer in my hoop & stick my item to it. To keep everything taut, I often use a basting stitch design first to attach all my layers together. I got those free & I think it was from Thread Artist. I don't hoop towels, knits, velvets or fleece. I seldom have to rehoop for lettering because I have a fairly big hoop. I did buy an item called GHIA (Giant hoop it all). I am not sure what machines they are availble for. The bracket on the hoop is movable allowing you to reposition within your sewing field without having to rehoop. I use it for long sections where I repeat the design or long areas adding other designs.
    ...See More

I'm think about ordering faux fur fabric in order to make a sofa throw

Q

Comments (0)
    Does the fabric come with a backside or just a piece of fabric in the raw w/no backside, is the color true as shown ?
    ...See More

I’m considering ordering Fabuwood kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (2)
    We are in the process of installing Fabuwood Allure nexus cabinets . They seem very well made. We had a few cabinets damaged when they were delivered. My dealer put in request with Fabuwood and within 24 hrs they agreed to replace. So far so good. What did you decide?
    ...See More

I’m looking for the company I ordered this from last year.

Q

Comments (6)
    https://www.burkedecor.com/products/australia-wallpaper-in-jade-from-the-kingdom-home-collection-by-milton-king?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=31965448634404&variant=31965448634404&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3rKQBhCNARIsACUEW_Z-co2r4-rmzhrVzU7PuKk7K3E6khRFwoMNhtyTShRQnp3_KsK_7f0aAub_EALw_wcB
    ...See More
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe Sue will chime in, I know she ordered hers. I do 90% of my shopping online, so that's right up my alley. Especially helpful right now! I looked at a few and can order one of those, but would prefer to order one that someone here has and is happy with.

Bunny! Yes, a hula hoop! hahaha apparently you haven't seen my 900 responses to previous threads on hooping and the many times I've said I was going to get one. I am really, truly going to order one!!

• Bunny
    3 years ago

A while back, maybe 10 years ago, I picked up a hula hoop for the first time since I was a kid. To my surprise I was better at it than I was before. To my regret my back did not like it one bit. I might have not done it right.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

I did buy a hoop several months ago, and like Bunny, my back did not like it (and I don’t have back issues normally). Maybe I was doing it wrong... I can’t remember where I ordered from. I’ll try to dig around and see if I can find an email order confirmation.

Tina Marie thanked Sueb20
  • Sueb20
    3 years ago

Found it! I got mine from The Spinsterz on Etsy.

• localeater
    3 years ago

Here's an old thread https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2407390/hooping-hope-someone-here-hoops#n=39 @SunnyCottage mentions the hoop she uses.

Tina Marie thanked localeater
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Sue! I should have also called out Terri, she’s our resident hooper!!

Bunny, these are not the hoops of our childhood (although technique is same). The hoops are weighted!

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you local!!!

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I used to have a weighted hoop but didn't bring it with me when I moved. I now have a regular old Whamo hula hoop. The weighted hoops are easier to use but I believe I read that the unweighted hoops provide a better workout because they are much harder to keep up. Maybe Terri will chime in on this.

• Tootsie
    3 years ago

How about a schoop schoop hula hoop!

• jojoco
    3 years ago

Let me see if I can find mine.

Found it! Three lbs. It works great, but you HAVE to ease into it. Start with just a few minutes a day and work your way up. If you don’t you will have bruises on your hips.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gail, that is interesting! I thought the weighted was better????

Thank you all for your info. Oh Jojo, I didn't even think to order on Amazon! I need to order a few things from there anyway, so may just go with that one. I'm gonna wait and see if Terri adds anything, but I'm ordering by the end of the day!!!

• jojoco
    3 years ago

Thank goodness Amazon has a search past orders feature. This is exactly what I bought. Seems to have gone up a bit in price in ten years but it is still in perfect shape. (the hoop, not me!)

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

The first hoop that I had was a weighted hoop like the one in Jojoco's picture. You do need to be careful of bruising with that type of hoop.

The larger and heavier a hoop is the easier it is to use because of the momentum that is created. Therefore you don't have to work as much to keep it spinning.

I now use a hoop similar to the Spinsterz hoop. I would recommend their beginner hoop.

https://thespinsterz.com/collections/beginner-hoop/products/weighted-fitness-hoop

Also look at BettyHoops https://www.bettyhoops.com/travel-hoop/travel-hula-hoops/collapsible-hoops/weighted-hula-hoops/heavy-hoops/the-heavy-hoop/fitness-hoops/yoga-gear/yoga-clothing/hoola-hoops/led-hoops/betty-hoops/#unique-id

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    3 years ago

Hoops have certainly evolved. Besides the price, I learned that they now arrive in pieces that you assemble. Also noticed that the diameter of the NEOWEEK brand is adjustable simply by adding or eliminating some pieces (this isn't an endorsement - I have no experience hooping); other brands may be similar. I'm thinking we should order now before there's a shortage!!

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Terri and Jojo for sharing what you use. I'm going to look at these shown and make a decision. Thanks everyone for your input!!

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

That was me as SunnyCottage back in the day! I no longer have my hoop, but did enjoy it once I got the hang of it. I did experience a good deal of soreness and some bruising initially, but it subsided in time. It is excellent exercise, especially when you turn on some great music and just let yourself go. Have fun!

• localeater
    3 years ago

OK. I'm in! I ordered the Betty Hoop.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm ordering one on Amazon. It is weighted - just under 2 lbs. and padded, 38". It's cheap too - my thinking is if I like it, later on I could go to one closer to 1 lb., as Terri suggested.

• salonva
    3 years ago

I had not thought about hula hoops, but now I m intrigued. I am pretty sure I have seen the basic ones at Target/Walmart and am thinking I might just start with that. ( Sounds like I might have plans to go on an excursion tomorrow or sometime this week). I might consider the weighted ones but I think I will start with the basic. I'm with Gail on this one. :) Editing to add- I just searched and it does seem the ones at Target/Walmart are kid sized ( I didn't really pay attention when I saw them in the store)....and yes many are out of stock. Look what you started!!!

Tina Marie thanked salonva
  • llitm
    3 years ago

Tina Marie, I have a nice hoop but don't use it. You can have it for shipping costs if you'd like. Have been feeling guilty that it isn't being used; would love to find a good home for it. :)

Tina Marie thanked llitm
  • terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Salonva - those cheap hoops at Walmart are very lightweight and might be a challenge to keep going. But you won't be out much money if it doesn't work for you.

Localeater - I'll be interested in hearing how you like the Betty Hoop. It seems like a good mix of size and weight.

For those of you new to hooping - remember that you don't rotate your hips to keep the hoop going - it's more of a back and forth rocking action.

Tina Marie thanked terezosa / terriks
  • llitm
    3 years ago

Tina, I was in a hurry when I wrote my above comment but mine is a BettyHoops hoop.

Tina Marie thanked llitm
  • Feathers11
    3 years ago

OK, I did not know hoops were a thing... but how do you get bruises?

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes Terri, I actually do know how, although not sure how good I can lol!! That’s why I wondered how people wete getting hurt but I may find out!

whatsayyou, that is very kind of you! I will message you if you don’t mind.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

The repetitive impact of the hoop can cause bruising when using a heavy hoop.

Tina Marie thanked terezosa / terriks
  • jojoco
    3 years ago

it is very easy to hula hoop. So easy that you can easily overdo it on day one because there is no pain. But even though the hoop is foam covered, it is still very firm and bumpy. the repetitive movement will make you very sore and possibly bruised on day two. You will not be able to hoop on that day. It is better to start with a few minutes a day in the beginning and then increase your time. Within a short period you will be able to hoop through a movie. Truly!

• salonva
    3 years ago

Resurrecting this thread- because I did nothing back then but read this. I have become quite a walker in quarantine but when it's icy and or super bitter cold, that's not for me. So I just re-read and thought I really should try this. (the walking helps mentally, emotionally, and somewhat physically for certain but I seem to be needing something more........especially around the middle). I looked and of course the one I was ready to hit purchase on- is out of stock.38 inches 3.2 lbs, for like $35.

Can someone recommend one ( link ) for me so I can really act? Is a bit bigger better?

thank you

• localeater
    3 years ago

I really like the Betty Hoop that I purchased.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Salonva - 3.2 lbs is way too heavy!
    A large heavy hoop will be easier to use at first, because the size and weight create momentum, so you don't have to work so hard to keep it going. But a 3.2 lb hoop is bound to bruise you. I got bruises when I first started hooping with a 2 lb hoop.

The Betty Hoop is a good choice, especially because you can change the size by adding/removing segments. http://www.bettyhoops.com/travel-hoop/travel-hula-hoops/collapsible-hoops/weighted-hula-hoops/heavy-hoops/the-heavy-hoop/fitness-hoops/yoga-gear/yoga-clothing/hoola-hoops/led-hoops/betty-hoops

Here's another good one for beginners. https://www.etsy.com/listing/455703240/adult-hula-hoop-best-for-beginners-your?ref=yr_purchases

• salonva
    3 years ago

I just looked and this says your replied 5 hours ago..I swear I looked a few times within the past 3 hours and most recently within the last hour and the reply didn' t show. Oh well. I had , in the interim, ordered the spinster on amazon but was not sure because it was 36 inches. when I looked at your link via etsy , it said 36 is petite. Then I canceled my amazon one and will be ordering the one you linked. Decisions decisions. thank you thank you

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Weird. I posted that this morning. 36 inches would probably be okay, but I think that the larger one will be easier to learn on. I think that the hoop that I use most often is about 40 inches. I have a couple of smaller ones too.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@salonva Im so sorry I didn’t see this earlier! i have a Bettyshoop, kindly sent to me from Whatsayyou. Ill admit I really had not gotten into this until lately. I realized I could play my amazon music playlists through our tv. I like to hoop (and dance lol) to the music!

• salonva
    3 years ago

To update, I ordered from spinsterz via etsy. I got the 38 inch one. It took quite a while to ship, and when I messaged them they apologized but explained that they were voted best hoop or something on amaz....on so they were very behind in fulfillment. Anyway it finally arrived last night. It was all coiled up. The instructions said to leave it on the floor and let it loosen up.

To my amazement, this morning, it really unwound itself! I just had to insert one end into the other.

Now the fun part. So I watched a few youtubes about how to get started, and after trying about 5 or 10 times I am now able to do it for about 4 or 5 seconds. :)

I have faith though that soon I will get the technique...keep posted.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

Last summer I tried one at my girlfriend's house. I could barely keep it up long enough to rotate. So I'm impressed you managed 5 seconds. And to think when we were kids we used to do it while playing hop scotch.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Here's the secret to keeping the hoop going - don't move your hips in a circle, it's a more of a rocking motion.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

I should mention that it took me a while before I finally found my rhythm while hooping - at first most of my exercise came from picking the hoop up off the floor!

And I could only hoop in one direction for about a year. I finally was able to hoop in the opposite direction by closing my eyes, and just letting my body relax and feel the hoop and the push/pull rocking rhythm.

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

The person in the video I linked says that you need a bigger hula hoop to start. I'm going to give this a try but I have to figure out what size I'm supposed to get.

https://youtu.be/2ZLuZh2sF9c

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Yes, a larger hoop is easier to start with, but you still need to learn the correct movement for hooping. A good option is a hoop that comes in sections so you can start out with a later hoop, then remove a section as you progress. The Betty Hoop is a good option for this.

http://www.bettyhoops.com/

• salonva
    3 years ago

Well I might have been overstating it to say 4 or 5 seconds. I am pretty much getting my exercise from picking it up and starting again as Terri described. I do honestly think the 38 inch is a good size as it is pretty big but not crazy big so theoretically if I get the hang of this, I think it can work for me longer term.

It's amazing though how it's so not simple. I had visions of doing it for 5 minutes in a spurt. I can;t even last long enough to time it :) but I AM improving.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

One day it will just click, and you'll be able to hoop as long as you want. I usually do 1/2 hour to 45 minutes while watching TV. Lately I've been hooping while watching Babylon Berlin on Netflix.

• Bothell
    3 years ago

I lurk here, but wanted to chime in on this. I've been using a weighted hoop for more than 3 years. I turn on the TV & now I hoop for 20 minutes 3 times a week. I'm in my 60s & have a waist line again! Recently I've added wrist weights so getting arm exercises done at the same time. This combined with mat pilates has resulted in greater flexibility, no back pain issues & better overall physical condition. I'm really pleased with the results.

• salonva
    3 years ago

Appreciate the encouragement. What you @Bothell and @terezosa / terriks are doing-- that's my goal. I keep trying it and today, twice I got up to 20 revolutions. (and then numerous other times, about 6). I AM improving!