SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edelweis45

Will I regret two tone white & walnut kitchen cabinets?

edelweis45
3 years ago

My husband and I built our home over 28 years ago. We have those typical light oak kitchen cabinets that everyone was installing at the time and are very dated now. We're now getting ready to do a major remodel. What I like, and think I want, is a two tone kitchen as follows: Dark cherry or walnut on the base cabinets, including the island, with white or very light grey upper cabinets on the perimeter "cooktop" and "window" walls. The shorter oven and refrigerator wall would be solid dark cherry or walnut. See attached photos for the color scheme that I like.

I've showed this color combination to the three kitchen designers/contractors who are bidding on the project. All three have told me that two tone is not what they are selling the most of right now, but my choice is good because dark lowers and light uppers is a classic look that will always be in style rather than a trendy look. I want an updated kitchen that falls into the category of transitional as our home is not contemporary. I guess I either want to be reassured that I'm not making a big mistake or told that I AM making a big mistake and should choose a different color scheme.

For a bit more information on the overall look, we're planning 42" uppers with 14" high baby cabinets with frosted glass on top. I'm envisioning using a light tumbled marble backsplash in a brick set (2"x"4). I have this now and love it. I'm thinking a light colored Silestone on the perimeter and a light granite that coordinates on the island. The floor is going to be Aequa Tur wood look tile planks which I have seen in a home and absolutely love. Last question, yay or nay on a red range? (I have a red Kitchenaid mixer and a red Nespresso machine.)

Comments (14)