SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gritsngravyyyy

Need Help Water Inlets/Skimmer/Suction

Stephen Barry
3 years ago

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, but after some recent issues was thinking some experienced folks may be able to help guide me. Appreciate any help you can provide

My Pool:
Please see the attached image of my pool - I marked the inlets that blow out water with red arrows (located left middle of pool and shallow end just right of middle), and the skimmer is the blue square circle (directly across from the deep end inlet), and lastly there is a suction outlet (no idea what it is) same side as the skimmer closer to the shallow end (attached image of this, or can find an example here: Amazon.com: Aquastar 4HP101 Suction Outlet Cover with Screw, 4-Inch, White: Garden & Outdoor).
Also attached, is an image of what my inlets blowing water look like, both from Leslies.

My Questions:

1. How should I be positioning my two inlets that pump out the water so they circulate to the filter? Attached is an image of my pool (described below w/other information). I tried pointing the shallow end towards the 2nd somewhat in deep end one and then that one towards deep end to circulate around (no luck), tried pointing other way, tried pointing them down both directions (no luck - more on what happens below).
  2. Would it be recommended to install another inlet in the pool, is that a pricey install? Is 2 enough with the skimmer & catcher and suction inlet? **** at this point I am even thinking of getting one of those boat things that skims around the pool for me...
  3. Are there better inlets recommended, possibly ones with more angle? Mine right now dont really angle much - but i saw better options online that can do 90' angles etc... Welcome any recommendations.
  4. What does the 2nd attached photo for the suction in the pool do (round looking plastic cover)? Sometimes a leaf will get stuck to it, but I honestly have no idea what it does or how effective it really is...
  5. I have a spring loaded skimmer catcher (picture attached) - which side of the skimmer should it be on? Should it be perfect line from the skimmer or angled a bit (sometimes things just bounce around it if too angled and avoid the skimmer) - previously I had it closer to short end of pool (right side of skimmer) when the water would circulate properly around clockwise, but now thats not working so...

Background/How Happened: So, I have lived in this house for 4 years with our 35 foot pool (think 35K size water, but not sure). Recently one of my water inlets little inside ball that directs the water poped out so i had to replace after it kept doing so when put back in (main piece was cracked). Having done so, I am now having a hard time getting the water to circulate so things reach the skimmer. Tried angling the inlets but no luck after several attempts - I also did some research and saw that I have likely been doing this all wrong with how the inlets are used (I used to point them relatively high and angled), thinking they were just needed for moving the water towards the skimmer. Reading up, seems they should be pointed down to the bottom of the pool...

My Issues:
1. The water is no longer circulating fully, tried this while changing the inlet angles quite a few times with my floating duck thermometer and a leaf - they keep making it to the deep end and instead of continuing right into the skimmer they just get stuck in the deep end.
2. Now the pool is getting dirtier and dirtier and i have to fish leaves out daily :/

If anyone can help, I would be soo soooo very grateful for your assistance, this is driving me mad!

Thanks,
Stephen

Comment