SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desireenjeremy

Are you happy with Coretec Calypso Oak??

Desiree B
3 years ago

I have agonized for so long on which LVP to install. Frankly I don’t want to look at any more colors and have decided on Coretec Calypso Oak. I’m scarred to pull the trigger on install however. My husband took quite a bit of convincing to agree to doing this flooring project. We have two dogs and 4 kids and a busy life in general. Typically we don’t wear shoes in the house with exception if we have a party or something and we don’t make guests remove their shoes. ... Are you happy with the way your Calypso Oak is wearing? Are you seeing scratches? How long have you had your flooring? And how hard are you and your family on them? ... please someone tell me I won’t regret it!! 😩

Comments (63)

• Celeste Marie
    3 years ago

Hi @925Melanie, we just installed Calypso Oak on our first floor. Do you have any issues with clicking or popping noises when walking on it?

• nrammerman
    3 years ago

Oh no! Celeste are you having issues with that?!!?

• Related Discussions

COREtec Calypso Oak, Noble Oak or Pembroke Pine photos?

Q

Comments (450)
    @Abballmom @Michelle G @pamela1154 @Megan Redlich We are choosing between carpet and CoreTec Calypso Oak in a bonus room/playroom. I do love the colors and appreciate all of your photos! A couple of questions: - For those who have it on an upper level: what is the noise like below? This would be on our second story above my husband's office so I worry a bit about this, especially compared to carpet. - Is it easy to clean? Any issues with vacuum (or a roomba) scratching it? - What about scratching in general? We have a large dog...and young kids who love to push all kinds of things around on the floor :) - Are you generally still happy with your choice? Thank you so much!
    ...See More

Coretec Calypso Oak Price

Q

Comments (3)
    @nolegalmoves - Hi, Sorry its not available anymore. Someone just picked it up few weeks ago. Btw, my floors were ordered online from Riverwood flooring in Indiana. You can definitely get it from there free shipping. Here is the link : https://www.riverwoodsflooring.com
    ...See More

Coretec Calypso Oak comparable

Q

Comments (6)
    I get that. people always bring up kids and pets, and yet wood floors have endured for 100 years in homes. I'm just saying, for that amount of money coretec is charging, I'd rather have real wood. If all you want is durable, look into large porcelain tiles. Or maybe tile in the kitchen and real wood in the living area. there are plenty of engineered wood floors that will hold up to kids and pets. I just did a 7" european white oak and it's amazing! pet messes, water spills, dirt, whatever. cleans up great. (and looks so much better than fake wood. Will last longer too. ) look into some of the oak options. you might be surprised.
    ...See More

COREtec Calypso Oak

Q

Comments (0)
    We had Calypso Oak installed in our home in November. In one bedroom we have a crackling sound when walking on it. Another bedroom has a sticky velcro noise like its sticking to something then coming up Has anyone else had this issue? If so, did you find a solution?
    ...See More
  • Celeste Marie
    3 years ago

@nrammerman yes, unfortunately. We pulled the floor up and leveled areas where there were small dips but it’s not improved much. So disappointed because the floors look and feel great

• Annabel
    3 years ago

Oh no!! What did you lay floor on top of? @celeste

• Celeste Marie
    3 years ago

@Annabel we laid it on new plywood subfloor. We also tried laying it on a 3mm pad (acceptable per Coretec instructions) but didn’t help

• Annabel
    3 years ago

Oh wow. I just pulled the trigger on ordering these floors...it doesnt seem like everyone is experiencing the same.😩

• Celeste Marie
    3 years ago

I read so many positive reviews about them so I would say the majority have had a good experience. The floor is stunning. I love it, which makes it that much harder that it isn’t performing to my expectation. I hope you fall into the majority category!

• Annabel
    3 years ago

Thank you

• 952Melanie
    3 years ago

Yes, we have some crackling sounds (sounds a bit like rice krispies) in some areas. We too are on top of a subfloor on our main level. We put Calypso directly onto slab in our basement and there is less crackling down there. Our installer said it would settle over time and the dryness of winter doesn't help. Despite this, we still love the floors and it would not have changed our decision. Our former house had real wood and that even made some creaking sounds.

• Celeste Marie
    3 years ago

I also described the noise as rice krispies! That’s good that your noise is minimal, ours was the entire floor. We ended up having a rep tell us there was a milling issue with the joints. We were refunded and went with a different LVP flooring company. It’s definitely not as beautiful as the Calypso but it makes no popping noise and that was most important to me.

• D C
    3 years ago

@952Melanie - Beautiful! I absolutely love your kitchen and the Calypso looks stunning in your home. We did all of our downstairs in Calypso too and are getting ready to bring it upstairs. I am trying to figure out what to do for our stairs though. By chance, did you happen to do your stairs? If so, I'd love to hear/see what you did. I can't decide if we should do Calypso on the stairs or do real oak stairs and try to stain them to match the Calypso. Too many decisions!

• jenwinston73
    3 years ago

I wanted to share this link from Costco. They sell Coretec now, apparently. You can see what it looks like in your room with this link.

https://costco.shawfloors.com/flooring/vinyl/details/coretec-plus-enhanced-plank-7in-vv012/calypso-oak

• HU-305589216
    3 years ago

@Celeste Marie when you installed the calypso on top of a 3mm pad, did you notice any significant difference in terms of sound or foot noise ?

• Megan
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@952Melanie Did you install your CoreTec under cabinets in the kitchen? If so, did you use the adhesive?

• 952Melanie
    2 years ago

No, we did not install under cabinets

• jenwinston73
    2 years ago

How is everyone liking the calypso once installed? Any issues keeping it looking clean. I had read some negative reviews about the mat finish making smudge marks very noticeable and hard to remove. We have not experienced this because our floor is currently in rooms that don’t get much light and we are usually not barefoot (as there is still construction on that side of the house). But the next phase will get a ton of light. So these reviews have made me a little nervous. We’ve already purchased the flooring for the whole house...so they’ll be installed no matter what. But am looking for some reassurance that I will still love them. :)

• nrammerman
    2 years ago

@952Melanie do you remember what stone you used for your fireplace or where you got it? I think it looks beautiful and am looking for a similar stone look, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for....

• Annabel
    2 years ago

@jenwinston73 - I had it installed in January. Loving it! Mine is super easy to keep clean. Like ridiculously easy. I use a roomba and then just wet mop. Looks super. My fridge has leaked a couple of times - no need to panic either!

• jenwinston73
    2 years ago

Annabel - thanks for the feedback! That’s what I’m hoping I will experience too. Do you use any cleaner on the wet mop or just water?

• Annabel
    2 years ago

Honestly, I just use water. It seems to work and I am kind of scared to use anything else. Also, if it works and is cheap...why not? I noticed someone commented above about smudging. So, after it was installed I noticed a couple smudge spots that I thought were left from moving appliances around. I tried to immediately get out and I couldn't and was disappointed. I rubbed, etc. But, they have disappeared over time. Again, just from a wet mop. Not sure why or how, but they are gone.

• 952Melanie
    2 years ago

@nrammerman our stone is from Quarry Mill Stone in WI and is called Empire

• HU-728327933
    2 years ago

@Celeste Marie @952Melanie i just installed 1300 sq ft of calypso oak and am feeling devastated at the crackling noises throughout. :( we will never be able to afford to fix this. our installer said the warranty on this line now excludes sounds. i dont know how they can sell this if this happens. what was your end result, are you still having noises? what does coretec say? thank you. i love the look but my excitement has plummeted after spending this much and having a problem.

• Annabel
    2 years ago

Had mine installed in January. Yes I did have some noise as you mention. Most has subsided now. Still have it in some areas. It seems the high traffic areas do not have the noise much anymore. Less trafficked areas still have a bit. Doesnt bother me that much. I remember our real hardwood growing up always squeaked. Love my floors!

• HU-728327933
    2 years ago

Thanks, I’m wishing and hoping and praying ours gets better over time. it seems much worse in the areas they laid over our tile and wood floor compared to where they put in subfloor in our previous carpeted area. coretec is supposed to be able to perform over those floors though so just feeling disappointed. we are reaching out to coretec rep but not expecting any solutions as the installer basically told us not to.

• Annabel
    2 years ago

Well we had tile and carpet where we laid coretec. Before we put on tile we had the tile skim coated. I did tons of research and seemed this was the way to go. Where we had carpet we had sub floor put in. No squeaks there. Very few now if at all over the tile. It has improved a lot since installed. How big were the grout lines in your tile?

• Lee Arnold
    2 years ago

@Annabel I'm the contractor he's mentioning. I found this thread researching the issue as well. I've installed 3 jobs in this exact product and all had the rice crispy sound. Floor prep was perfect. Level and flatness was perfect. Cleanliness was a top priority. COREtec has a problem with this product! His grout lines were probably 3/16". But, COREtec doesn't specify a maximum on grout lines like some other manufacturers do. I agree, if the grout lines were like 1/2" or something, skim coating would be recommended. But, we were nowhere near anything that crazy. We have installed thousands of sf of COREtec, but only heard this sound with this particular product (COREtec Plus Enhanced with painted beveled edges).

• Annabel
    2 years ago

@Lee Arnold - yes my grout lines were just shy of 1/2 inch and my contractor didnt think it necessary but I just wanted it done. It does sound like a Coretec issue but my noise has lessened quite a bit over time They are beautiful floors it is such a shame

• jenwinston73
    2 years ago

We have Calypso Oak installed in half the house and will be installing it in the rest of the house. We have not noticed the rice crispy sound. But we have placed it on subfloor with a plastic vapor barrier. So maybe that is the reason. Hopefully the sound goes away for you. That is annoying.

• Deb Kirby
    2 years ago

Bought a home on a concrete slab in January. Coretec Plus XL Waddington Oak 9" plank flooring installed throughout the entire home in March when the house was still unoccupied (i.e., no furniture to move). From day one it sounded like we were walking on spilled sugar or sand only it was under the flooring. The entire house. The floor is coming out 5 months later and thankfully the store is replacing it at no cost to us, including help with moving the furniture that is now in here. Grrr. Both the installation was HORRIBLE and the product is horrible. The installers didn't sweep the floor as they put the planks down and every time they scored and snapped for a cut sand like particles fell off. This was the limestone/bamboo rigid core flaking off. The second night I actually swept up a pile of what looked like white sand. I told the installers to not cut the planks over the floor and to sweep well. They refused to wear a mask in OUR home and we were not yet vaccinated (nor they) so we didn't stay in the house most of the time to see if they complied. My guess is no. (we are over 65 and one of us is immunocompromised). They told us if we insisted on them wearing a mask we had to find another crew. We should have told them to take a hike then and there, but we wanted to avoid having to install a floor with a house full of furniture -- but here we are doing it anyway! Installers were booked out six weeks and we were moving in in two weeks. After the install we started noticing cracks in the planks throughout the house so now we know not only did we have horrible installers we have a shoddy product. I would never ever ever buy this Coretec LVP again. We have decided to go with a commerical grade LVP by Pentz and glue it down. It is used often in hospitals, which is another thing -- Coretec LVP that floats, and possibly glued down does NOT support wheelchairs and their use voids the warranty. No one in our family is in a wheelchair, but since we are in our last home and we aren't getting any younger wheelchair usage may be in our future even if only temporary to replace a hip or something. Don't mean to borrow trouble, but I'd be pretty ticked if I ruined a 12K floor because it couldn't withstand a wheelchair. Also, don't by the hype that Coretec is made in the USA (one of the reasons I bought it) - all of our boxes said Made in China.

• Annabel
    2 years ago

We love ours too but a lot of it is in the installation I think. I watched my installers, sent them manufacturer installation instructions, insisted on skim coat etc. I also love my floors. Where I have real hardwood it is all scratched up. I think it is likely more of an issue over tile then a sub where carpet used to be. So even if your grout lines are small - maybe do the skim coat?! Of course vacuuming up all debris is essential too.

• sjbronner
    2 years ago

@annabel & @nrammerman Do you find they are easy to clean? We are having Calypso Oak installed next week. We have kids and a dog that make a constant mess.

• Annabel
    2 years ago

Yes very easy. I just use a mop that sprays water. No issues with noise on my floors either

• sjbronner
    2 years ago

@annabel- thank you, now that the install is getting close I am over researching my choice! I’m ready just to have them installed lol

• HU-326942021
    2 years ago

Has anyone else recently had Calypso installed that’s having issues with the floor making noises? We are trying to pick out a floor for our basement and I finally decided on Calypso Oak after looking at so many samples and now I am getting nervous to order it after reading some of the reviews. Ugh!!

• Annabel
    2 years ago

@HU-326942021 - installed Jan 2021. Had some noises initially, nothing that was a deal breaker and now noise gone. I truly believe it is all in the installation. What is on your basement floor now? Make sure your installer has the manufacturer instructions. Dont let them brush those off. Installation is key - that has to be the difference🤷🏻‍♀️

• HU-326942021
    2 years ago

@Annabel -we currently have carpet, but will be pulling all of that up and installing over the concrete slab. We know there is one low spot beccause we can feel it under the carpet, but I am hoping the rest is in good shape. We know there will need to be prep work to the floor and we are having a flooring company install. It just makes me worried with so many other people having issues. 😬

• Annabel
    2 years ago

Ok, so where I had carpet prior to coretec, the installer put in a sub floor. I had absolutely ZERO noise where the coretec was laid over this sub floor where previously there was carpet. Hope that gives you some reassurance @HU-326942021

• sjbronner
    2 years ago

We had Calypso oak installed a few days ago. A bit of noise the first day but it is gone now

• HU-326942021
    2 years ago

Thank you for the feedback @Annabel! i really appreciate it!

• HU-326942021
    2 years ago

@sjbronner can I ask where you had it installed and what you had it installed ontop of?

• Vineetha Hegde
    2 years ago

If anyone is looking to get a sample box of Calypso oak let me know. I have 3 extra boxes left over from our flooring install.

• Pearl Puri
    2 years ago

@Vineetha Hegde how much did you pay per sq ft for the product?

• Jennifer Moskopf
    2 years ago

@Vineetha Hegde i would buy your three boxes. how much are you asking? also, how is the product holding up? noise?

• Vineetha Hegde
    2 years ago

@Pearl Puri - Hi, I paid 4.23$ per sq ft. I bought it in May 2021. So almost a year ago.

• Vineetha Hegde
    2 years ago

@Jennifer Moskopf - Hi Jennifer, sorry the flooring is not available anymore. Someone just bought it from me about a week ago. We really love our floors. It looks so good and also feels good. We put it on top of our concrete basement floor. Our contractor did ask us to put a mositure barrier in between the concrete and flooring. Initial few weeks there were creaking noise. But now its been more than 6 months and no noise at all. I guess it takes a few weeks to settle down.

• Kristin Goodroe
    2 years ago

@Vineetha Hegde can you share where you ordered if from? the cheapest i can find it is 6.25/sq ft

• Vineetha Hegde
    2 years ago

Hi @Kristin Goodroe - We got it from Riverwoods flooring in Indiana. We ordered online, it was delivered to us free shipping and 0$ tax. Here is the link to their site: https://www.riverwoodsflooring.com

• Amanda White
    last year

I'm just outside of Chicago, does anyone happen to have a box or 2 left that I can buy of calypso oak??

• Lawren Ann
    last year

Did anyone install on top of concrete floor with apoxy paint? If so do you have the "crackling noise" ? Did you put anything on top of the concrete before installing?