SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
straitlover

Anyone bought RedLand Cotton sheets?

straitlover
3 years ago

I keep hearing these advertised on SiriusXM. I looked at their website this AM. Sound like they may be like the good old percale sheets. Anyone here tried them out? They are not cheap, so hoping to get some first hand testimonials before trying them out. 100% cotton, made in USA from grown in USA cotton. Website is redlandcotton dot com. Not putting the actual link so no one will think I have anything to do with the company. :)

Comments (70)

• Chris Casmirri
    2 years ago

Best Sheets I have ever owned!

• Related Discussions

Has anyone purchased Comphy Co. sheets?

Q

Comments (8)
    I decided to buy some highly rated sheets, since I've never done that in 47 years of marriage. I believed the hype for these sheets, and therefore was so disappointed that they didn't fit my king bed. The fitted sheet does not lay flat because it is way too big for mattress. As for the top sheet, I could wrap it around 2 king size mattresses. I have discussed this with the complaint department at Comphy. In all honesty, I washed the sheets first because for the price I thought I'd never have a problem. I was wrong. I was told that if I washed the sheets ,I couldn't return them, even if they didn't fit the bed. I was told that I should have measured my mattress. I have never had a problem getting a king sheet set that didn't fit the mattress, and I couldn't believe how badly these sheets fit. Then I was told I could return them, at my expense, and have them altered to fit my mattress, at my expense, and I would also have to pay to have them set back to me. I have never been so disappointed, not only in the product, but the company’s complete indifference to my problem. I hope whoever decides to buy these sheets, either measures them and hope they fit, or, personally, don’t buy them at all.
    ...See More

Anyone else looking for crisp sheets? Part 2

Q

Comments (76)
    IF you can find them anywhere, Rivolta Carmignati cotton sheets made in Italy are the crispest, lightest sheets I've ever found. And I found them in a bin in a thriftstore! An entire bin filled with these sheets. I had no idea what they were; if I had, I've have bought the entire bin at $1 each. I bought several flat sheets and a duvet to die for. Not until later, when I found a tag and looked it up, did I realize what they are. Other than these, I have Ralph Lauren and Thomas O'Brien, all cotton that I really like, but they really don't compare to the Italian cotton. Here is a link that might be useful: Rivolta Carmignati
    ...See More

cotton for making sheets

Q

Comments (4)
    We've had waterbeds since 1978. I can't suggest a source for sheeting fabrics, but I can suggest this: Use a flat double size sheet for your bottom sheet with sheet garters on the four corners. Then just use a regular queen sheet for the top sheet. Hub and I went to a regular bed several years ago, but we put a Cal King mattress in our waterbed frame. (For a king size bed use a queen size sheet for the bottom.) I'm still using the same sheet method as I did when it was a waterbed. We still have waterbeds in the kids' old rooms, and that's how I've always done the sheets. They never come off the beds, stay smooth and tight till the next change.
    ...See More

Has anyone used IKEA sheets?

Q

Comments (24)
    It has been a while since I purchased sheets but used to purchase most at Tuesday Morning because most of the packages you could feel the sheets. I passed at the lower thread count ones because I have almost always found that they felt harsh to my skin. I see online more types than my local store has had. I found out that I need to pay attention to the depth of the sheets, thickness of the mattress. I purchased and expensive set that would not fit on my mattress that I ended up using for other things. Only once have I found a set or individual sheets that would be too deep for my mattress. Last year rather than chance the store in April I ordered more slippers and they came by one of the delivery services and not by the company that IKEA hires to deliver big stuff when you select it yourself at the store.
    ...See More
  • HU-34857200
    2 years ago

Hi, I have 5 sets of Red Land sheets. Love them, yes they do wrinkle a bit, I just dry them and take them out damp (ten minutes). I do let them air dry on a drying rack. This makes them wrinkle free. They are a thicker sheet, but I would never buy any other brand. I have never had any of the pleating others are speaking of.

• Chris Casmirri
    2 years ago

Love them! They are the Best sheets I have ever slept on. They get better each time you wash them. Highly recommend.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

@Chris Casmirri how much are they paying you! They did not get better with washing and even my then 11 year old was complaining about them. She generally can sleep anywhere with anything. I really wanted them to work and be nice, but they were so scratchy. I washed and washed and gave up probably after about 40 washes. So I really tried.

• User
    2 years ago

@lyfia you are correct. I’ve had mine now for 2 years. Initially when I opened them they were like heavy smooth silk! it says no return after washing but I figured they would be fine. Ha… coarse and wrinkled. Still very heavy. I immediately called and emailed the company. Terrible customer service. They basically said too bad. They have somehow padded their reviews because NO ONE could say these are the same after washing.

I’ve grown to like the heavy roughness and they are less rough than before. I smooth the wet pillow cases and hang on my heated towel rack. They come out pretty nice. If I had a mangle I would iron the sheets as that is I am pretty sure how they achieve the finish . So try smoothing when wet and air dry.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

@User - I gave them to our local thrift store, which sells things to raise money for local charities. BTW I tried the ironing - just the pillow cases and that didn't make a difference in scratchiness. Just felt crisper.

• Trapped
    2 years ago

Based on the recommendations here, I decided to try the pillowcases. I like some weight to my sheets and don't mind a little scratchiness, ( hate sateen). I get rid of my sheets when they get super soft and start getting thin. These were heavy and way too scratchy even for me.

• onvitaikayan
    2 years ago

I also decided to try the pillowcases first. I'm looking to replace my L.L. Bean cotton percale sheets, as they've started falling apart after barely 4 years. I liked the look of Red Land Cotton's lifetime guarantee (which did seem at odds with their actual RETURN policy), which is another reason why I decided to try pillowcases first.

I'm... not super impressed. I'm no stranger to percale, and I know it takes multiple washings to soften up, so I expect that. But even fresh out of the package these felt rough and textured. And after washing they're even rougher. In fact, washing them made them feel OLD in a way, like I just pulled a really old pair of pillowcases out of storage.

I also experienced the "accordian" wrinkling on the cuff with just one washing, and that really disappointed me because from what I've read here it sounds like that's a sign of the fabric not being cut properly with the grain?

I want percale cotton sheets because I like my sheets crisp and cool, but these feel rough and heavy. I'd never in a million years imagine they were percale. I'll keep rewashing them for a few months and report back, but first impressions are lacking. For such an immensely high price point, I expected more.

Unrelated, but I also found it hilarious that they were packed with a printed card... containing a sourdough bread recipe. There are no instructions on the care and keeping of your purchase (aside from washing instructions on the tag itself). Their actual website seems to have a thorough FAQ, but it seemed like such a bizarre oversight to send me a recipe for bread but no printed mention of washing or care instructions whatsoever.

• straitlover
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I tried to buy the pillowcases a few times, and they were always out of stock. After all the negative reviews here and elsewhere, I finally decided against trying them. Thanks everyone!

• User
    2 years ago

@straitlover yes stay away. Too bad since the premise behind the company is wonderful. It’s the deceitful way they packaged/ presented them when I purchased and no return if washed . Sounds like they may have stopped the silky finish on the fabric since the person above states they were rough out of the package.

• onvitaikayan
    2 years ago

@straitlover I have to agree. I knew it was a risk, so I was willing to swallow the cost if it came to that. I've bought percale before, so I expected them to be rough off the bat, but this was like... potato sack rough, not "new sheets that just need to be washed for a few months" rough.

I'll definitely keep washing and come back in a few months with an update just in case they improve (which is... doubtful). There really aren't any independent reviews online, and this thread is one of the few hits that comes up that's not affiliated with them in any way. In the meantime, the hunt for quality, lasting percale sheets continues.

On a separate note, I'm really wondering who all these people are in their comments praising how amazingly soft these are. What were they sleeping with before? Sandpaper?

• nini804
    2 years ago

Maybe you can try Boll and Branch? i have 2 sets, white cotton flannel for winter and white cotton percale for summer. i think they are lovely and feel very nice. They use organic cotton.

• onvitaikayan
    2 years ago

@nini804 I was looking at those! How long have you owned them? My LL Bean sheets started fraying and tearing after 3-4 years.

• nini804
    2 years ago

I have owned the flannel ones just over a year and the percale ones about 9 months. I’ve had all sorts of luxury sheets (Sferra, Peacock Alley, a few other brands) and I use the 100% organic cotton from Target for my kids’ beds (which are quite nice btw) but the Boll and Branch are hands down the best. They are quite thick…It’s hard to imagine them fraying & tearing but of course I haven’t had them that long. I think they have a satisfaction guarantee…you should try some out.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I bought a set of white queen, 16", plus a set of king pillowcases and an extra set of standard cases. They are very sturdy, but they are NOT like the percale I loved growing up or buying in the '70s and '80s. The bottom sheet does fit the crazy deep new mattress.

The top sheet is way too short at the foot. They also were not to have had any chemical additions. They had a horrible Frebreeze type floral scent, they took three washings on hot with baking soda to get rid of most scent.

I do not recommend.

• theclose
    last year

Reviving this thread because Red Land Cotton sample sale is coming up this Friday, April 8. Begins at midnight. I purchased a set from their last sample sale, along with a regular priced set of pillowcases. I would not purchase again- they’re heavy, fairly rough, and warm. Maybe they will improve with age so we will continue to use them but I’m glad we purchased at a steep discount. So if anyone is curious about them, buy from the sample sale!

• tgrendler1
    last year

Love my queen set of sheets by Redland! best ever!

• Paul Stein
    last year
    last modified: last year

I’ll be receiving their Quilt this week. Ordered through Amazon. The description says lightweight and summer, but the details say 25 pounds. Hoping that’s wrong. I’ll update this within a week or so. I did see complaints on their sheets, filed with the BBB. The company seemed responsive by sending replacement sheets, but no refunds.

The quilt reviews on their website look very shaky. 363 reviews, almost all 5 stars. Just 4 four star reviews. Nothing lower than 4. That’s just not possible.

• Paul Stein
    last year

I just went back to their site. If you select a sheet, or any products, it shows the reviews. Click to get detailed reviews. Then select ratings from highest to lowest and read comments. They show a 4.9 rating for sheets. Just a few bad ones. Looks like either they fiter out a lot of bad reviews or their products are truly outstanding.

• User
    last year

My Red Land sheets are in the wash now. i use them all Summer … warm weather. They have never softened but i have grown to like the heavier weight and they aren’t as coarse as they were when new. They get washed every 4 days all Summer and then we switch to LL Bean white flannel that I have had for 20 yrs. Still like new. I dry the Redland pillow cases on my towel warmer. They come out like they have been ironed which I like. I still firmly believe that the company is deceitful as are their numerous reviews . I wouldn’t buy again but they are heavy duty enough they will likely last for years.

• Paul Stein
    last year

UPDATE.

I received my Redlands cotton quilt from Amazon.

I gave 5 stars on the sheer feel of the quilt.

However, there were some gotchas, which I did caution potential buyers about.

1. Reviews.

When I ordered the quilt, there were two reviews with narratives. Both were 5 stars, but read like ”homers,” put them on. I was suspicious of the reviews. After posting my review, the other reviews disappeared. Very odd. Did Amazon pull them?

2. The gotchas.

The description said easy to launder. My research.

a. Do not dry clean. That’s on the Redlands site.

b. I researched cleaning of quilts. The general advice is consistent. Do not put them in the washer. The most common recommended method is to wash them in a bathtub, then repeatedly rinse off the soap. Then pressing down to squeeze out as much water as possible. Then hang them outside. I have a condo and can’t hang them. These are really large. I can picture bird poop, small bugs flying into them as they dry. Nothing easy about cleaning these. My take, spot clean, and never wash a quilt. This was probably the best advice given. Some people vacuum their quilts.

c. A commercial Laundromat in a supersize machine? No thanks. The cold wash setting won’t kill germs from the prior user.

d. Size I ordered was a full/queen. It’s a large queen and doesn’t work on a full size bed. Our mattress top on our full size bed is 20 inches. It touched the floor on both sides and was ridiculously long. We moved it to our queen and it looks great there.

I did not deduct any stars simply because the comfort level on the skin was incredible. There were no blemishes or thread problems. Of course, given the cleaning issues, we use a topsheet to minimize skin contact. We may buy matching shams to complete the look.

If any quilters read this, please advise on how you care for your quilts.

Because these are solid color quilts, white or natural, every blemish would show.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

No, I just don't like the sheets. They are NOT what they advertised. If they stood behind their product, they would take them back after you washed them and they would post the negative reviews. Politics has nothing to do with it. Since I never listen to any radio, I have no idea where they advertise.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Cale Jean: No posts. No reviews. No idea books. Only two comments. Spammer.

• Jenell Lorenz
    last year

These are the best sheets I've ever owned. I have 2 sets that I rotate between and just ordered a third to put in my Airstream. I also have their throw, pillow cases and shams. I don't love the shams but that is just personal, the quality is still there. No, I don't work for these folks, I have a duvet from Authentic50 which is also amazing. American made and grown cotton cannot be beat.

What they are not: soft silky feeling, cheap see through material, over processed material that has been beaten into feeling soft, they are not sateen by any definition

What they are: crisp cool fabric, thick like "old school" sheets, breathable, completely luxurious

These sheets do get better with time, however, if you wash them incorrectly they will shrink and tend to wrinkle. I recommend washing on cold and using a splash of vinegar instead of fabric softener. Dry them on the lowest heat you have or air fluff, or better yet, if you are lucky enough to have one throw them outside on the line.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

I want the percale that I bought in the 70's-80's. and early 90's. They were not thin. They were not sateen. They did not wrinkle. The top hem did not twist and crease. You washed, threw in the dryer, and they were fine! I am NEVER hanging sheets on the line ever again.

I also want hot water, or at least warm, to get all the dirt, body oils, and dust mites out of my sheets.

I still say, that if they REALLY stand behind their sheets, you could return after one wash.

• Paul Stein
    last year

Update to my posts.

I received the Redlands quilt through Amazon at no cost. Not really true. The free Amazon provided items are fully taxable on my Federal and State tax return. Amazon sends out 1099s. So the free item will really cost me between 25 to 30% of he full MSRP. To boot, there’s no warranty or returns on these “free,” items. Not as good as it sounds. I mentioned this to make it clear that I am selective in ordering. I have been burned by paying this tax on items that wound up being thrown in the dumpster. I only remain in the program because I’m retired and it’s my hobby. I don’t have a business, and donate many items.

We did like the quilt enough that I started looking at the Redlands site. I found a 30% off holiday code. We just used it to order shams, a pillowcase set, and the ”shudder,” sheet set. As we use and wash these, I will post updates. I ordered blue sheets, as the site said the dyed sheets are softer. Neither my wife nor I iron, so we are customed to some wrinkles.

I’ll use Jennell Lorenz’s recommendations for washing sheets. Additional washing recommendations will be apptreciated.

I ordered the 16 inch deep sheet for my 14 inch mattress.

Still more.

It’s really bad the way Redlands only posts 5 star reviews. I’d like to read the poor reviews. I can understand not accepting laundered returns, as some people may use the very hot sanitize cycle, and the hottest heat that their dryer provides. Do they have hard water or soft water. Or possibly well water. Any of these can affect the way the sheets come out.

I hope this comment may be helpful.

• Paul Stein
    last year

I’ve received my sheets, pillowcases, shams and towels. I’ve already commented on the quilt. The shams. They look great with the quilt, both in natural. Hint. We ordered a set of two inexpensive pillows to go inside the shams. We tried using what we had, but they weren’t identical, and the difference was noticeable.

The pillowcases. They are the natural color. My wife says they are wonderful to sleep on. The best she’s ever had.

The sheets. I ordered them in blue. The company web site stated that the natural is not as soft as the other colors, due to minimal processing. They were washed in cold water, and she used the linen setting on the dryer. They came out perfect.

We then compared the blue sheets to the pillowcases, which were the natural color. We both agreed the blue sheets were softer than the natural pillowcases.

We also received their towel set from Amazon. They are soft and absorbent and reminded us of our stays at the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas.

Finally. Today we ordered the throw, in natural, from Redlands. Amazon has, or had? great deals. The white throw, sheets, I guess most Redland items are 25% off., plus another 6% during Prime, using the Amazon card. Unfortunatey, Amazon has limited colors. The natural throw, did not have the discount, so we ordered from Redlands, using a 20% discount code that popped up.

I hate the way Redland only shows 5 star reviews. However, They do have a very large number of 5 star reviews. That entered into my decision to try the Redland products.

• HU-214106431
    last year

After reading reviews on Redland Cotton sheets, I chose to go with Brooklinen for my son’s bedroom. I have Cuddledown sheets because you can choose a deep fitted sheet, and I also have Cozy Earth in the guest bedroom. All of them seem thinner than the sheets of bygone days.

• Paul Stein
    last year

Last month we purchased the Redlands Cotton Full/Queen Duvet Cover in the heirloom stripe pattern. It washed well, and we really like it. The only problem with the stripe pattern is that the blue sheets are an eyesore when you roll the striped duvet cover 1/4 down. We’ll need to buy new sheets. .

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

STILL don't like the sheets They still did not print my review. The hem winkles and the top sheet is too short for the mattress. I bought the deepest set they made. I bought extra pillow cases and one set is seconds. They have seams on both long sides of the pillowcase.

One star at best.

• theclose
    last year

6 month update: I didn't like them when I got them and still don't. They have been washed at least 10 times (we rotate 3 sets of sheets) and they are as rough as when we got them. I put them on the bed last week and DH said to please get rid of them! We like cool, crisp sheets. Red Land is neither of those things.

• pstein15
    last year

I just received my latest order of Redland Cotton Sheets. Amazon 2 day member sale, 30% off. I just really like them. They are heavier and stiffer than other sheets. I like the stiffness, as it makes the bed easier to make. I use a top sheet under a Redlands Duvet cover, which holds a light down insert plus a woolen duvet insert. Very soft sheets make it more time consuming to make a bed.

My first disappointment with Redland Cotton just arrived. I ordered their newer line of spa towels, at their seconds sale. My wife doesn’t like the look or feel. They are just larger than the regular line. We both like their regular line. Oh well. If we paid full price, we would return them. They were 45% off and non returnable. There were no problems getting the seconds, we just don’t like the dull gold color or the feel.

• HU-577553672
    12 months ago

These sheets remind me of canvas, or burlap. They are the heaviest, roughest sheets I've ever seen- or tried to sleep on! Whoever had the idea to buy the pillowcases first is brilliant! Wish I had before wasting $200.00. Will be donating these awful misrepresented sheets!!

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    12 months ago

I do not like them either. However, if you will disregard their instructions and wash on HOT in the heavy cotton cycle, they will start to soften. I bought them for our king bed and cannot afford to replace..

• pstein15
    12 months ago

We actually have 3 sets of sheets, one quilt, with a second on the way, pillowcases, a blanket, a duvet cover, and a number of towels. We obviously like them. The quilts are our favorite. They are light as a feather, look great on the bed, and feel great on the skin. My wife just noticed loose threads on a towel, which shouldn’t happen at that price range. We’ll pass on their towels. The duvet cover is heavy and can double as a nice bedspread. We order at certain times, such as July 4th, when they have 30% discounts. Amazon also has them and does discount them during prime or holiday sale events.

The web page makes it clear that the natural color is rougher to the touch, due to minimal processing. After reading that, we ordered white and blue sheets.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

I HAVE the white. They are rough! I do not like them at all, but are stuck with them.

ETA: Any company that stands behind their product will take back after washing. They do not. That should of been a red flag. They also do not publish all reviews. They did not publish mine on their web page. That is why it is all 5 star reviews.

DO NOT BUY!

• dfwmediagroup
    11 months ago

Feels like a burlap sack. Rough, scratchy and very wrinkly. Not recommended.

• DawnInCal
    11 months ago

We bought a set last December. Not only were they rough, but they were huge. They were supposed to be king size sheets, but they were way, way too big for our king mattress. I'm not sure what kind of mattress they were supposed to fit. Even though we had not yet laundered them, the customer service rep gave us a hard time about returning them, but she coughed up a shipping label after hubby started to use "that tone" with her.

• Clover Honey
    8 months ago

I just purchased a white top sheet in their seconds sale. Oh boy, when I opened the package the chemical odor was overwhelming. I washed it and still the odor persisted. I hung it outside and that helped a bit. Hopefully, the odor will subside over time with multiple washings. I believe the chemical smell is a sizing agent to prevent shrinkage. But it is horrible.

Incidentally, since this sheet was a second I was expecting some irregularities in the cotton weave or in the stitching. Not so! There were three or more gray- green marks on one side of the sheet which if I were in charge I would have directed it to the recycling bin. This sheet must have tangled with a textile loom or some other machinery. They did not come out after the wash.

This will be my first and last purchase from Red Land Cotton. Customer service is marginal.

And oh yeah, the sheet is rough to the touch.

• pstein15
    8 months ago

I have ordered multiple products from Redland Cotton. Our latest was two weeks ago. It’s a red striped quilt, queen size. For some odd reason, it was marked down by either 1/4 or 1/3, but was not part of their seconds sale. It may be a discontinued item. I expected minor blemishes, but it’s perfect. We now have 3 quilts, four sheet sets, one blue, two white, one natural, towels, pillowcases and a throw blanket. There has never been any odor, and the sheets and towels have been washed multiple times. We’re hoping they get more red striped products in stock. They really make the bedroom pop.

• shdoman
    6 months ago

I just washed my new set of Redland Sheets, (~$300 worth) and am soooo disappointed. First off, they don’t feel like sheets, but like old fashioned mattress ticking. They are course and thick and not like any other sheet I’ve encountered. I chose the natural color which appeared cream online. But in person, they have tiny black flecks in them like poorly processed cotton. I thought maybe they would soften and flecks would wash out. But they came out of the dryer still speckled and terribly wrinkled. I don’t normally mind wrinkles in my cotton sheets, but this is next level. When I just checked on the return policy, it says you cannot return sheets that have been laundered. Which I didn’t know.
    Lets just say this is likely the reason they don’t have reviews on their website, and they charge for returns, and aren’t upfront about not taking returns that are laundered. Note to self… never order pricey items that can’t be returned, unless you have first hand experience or at least a trusted recommendation. Go with a known and reputable company that you have experience with or will accept returns!

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 months ago

They delete all reviews they do not like. My review never showed up on their site. That is why they are five star. They are a below zero as far as I am concerned. Their sheets also do NOT fit the over sized mattress like they say.

• pstein15
    6 months ago

We like ours. I think the fact that they are heavier, and possibly a little stiffer is the problem. I really like them as in warm days, they are heavy enough to use without a comforter. We have AC but when it’s not actively going, it can get uncomfortable. The thickness, or stiffness makes it easier to quickly make a bed. I never used a flat sheet until I got these. Flat sheets slowed down making a bed. These sheets are much better for quickly making the bed. We always use the flat sheets now.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 months ago

The flat sheets DO NOT FIT the 16 inch mattress like they say they do.

• Heidi Webb
    3 months ago

I ordered 2 towels over the black Friday sale. The towels are smaller than my standard towels from target and thin. Their customer service is the worst. Stay clear from this company. Also they charged $8 to ship and now want $9 to return them. Better companies to do business with.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Yes, I did. Worst mistake I ever made. Do NOT BUY!

• Heidi Webb
    3 months ago

Do Not BUY! They have poor quality at high price and no customer service.

• Clover Honey
    3 months ago

I've purchased a fitted sheet from them.

Very good quality. No complaints here.

You get what you pay for generally.

• Heidi Webb
    3 months ago

I ordered 2 bath towles. I am very disappointed. They are smaller than my costco and target towles and very thin. I did order sheets from boll and branch, they are wonderful. The customer service is very poor at red land cotton.