SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahonroy67

Serviceberry tree help - half of it looks dead - what should I do?

Matt
3 years ago

Hello, last summer I planted a serviceberry tree in Colorado. It seemed to do well all of last year and the beginning of this year. Recently I noticed that a large branch appears to be dead? I am not sure what I should do here - do I chop that branch off, leave it, do something else, etc. It seems like its going to look really weird if I chop that branch. I should also mention that people said there was a late frost in the Spring time this year, and it caused a lot of trees all around town to look really messed up - e.g. a lot of trees aren't growing much leaves, especially upper leaves, and they are growing a ton of suckers instead. I don't know if this caused this branch to get weird. It looks like there are dried berries on this branch, so I don't know at what point this happened, or why.

Some additional info: I have a drip system that waters everything every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday morning. It waters for an hour, then waits an hour, then waters one more hour, then is done. I recently checked the PH of the soil and its at 6.8.

Here are some photos. I put green arrows on the photos to show the dead branch:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments (9)