SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
william_kingsley

@tapla/Dave: Ficus Lyrata rehab w/asymmetric growth

Will Kingsley
3 years ago

TL:DR Fiddle fig only produces new growth on one side. Need helping encouraging growth from the inactive branches.

[pictures below]

This one hopefully catches the eyes of some of the pro (i.e. tapla, Dave) cause I’ve seen some great insight that’s guided my rehab efforts so far.

Started this growing season hoping to stoke some growth out of my fiddle leaf fig that hasn’t put out new leaves since 2018 (only a few leaves). I diagnosed the problem as the plant being root-bound (also dropped about half the leaves in 2019 due to root rot), so I repotted with the 5:1:1 mix I’ve seen recommended and gradually transitioned it outside (mid-TN, zone 7a, approx. 6 hours of sun) in June. Immediately saw results (and a couple sunburns), but only on one side. I’ve tried loping back the inactive branches to about a half-inch above the first healthy leaf (a couple of times). Even tried a few rounds of notching in the direction that I desperately need new growth, but all to no avail. At this point, it’s in danger of teetering over because it’s leaning so far to one side (even stashed a heavy flat stone at the bottom of the new pot).

Any suggestions, insight or help would be gladly welcomed. Thanks.

Will

Taken in April before attempted rehab:

Taken two weeks ago:

Taken before posting:

Taken before posting (above):

Comments (11)