SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lois_barber

Viatera Quartz countertop

Lois Barber
3 years ago

Has anyone used Viatera Quartz Lumina countertop with a white backsplash tile? I love an all white kitchen (my cabinets are white) but I'm wondering if a white backsplash will clash.

The salesperson told me to go with a gray backsplash, which looked GREAT, but my heart is set on white. Plus nothing else in my kitchen would go with the gray. Everything else is blue and white, with yellow stools, other accessories, and walls.

Comments (37)

• Lois Barber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I will, for sure, hold up a white tile next to the quartz.

• Related Discussions

Please help me configure my backsplash (pictures)

Q

Comments (29)
    thepseudophone -- sorry! That is my granite, Typhoon Bordeaux, but unfortunately, I don't have dark cabinets. If I did, that is EXACTLY the tile I would have wanted. It's too cool for my warm kitchen,though. I think that it is perfectly fine to let the counter be the guide as to where the tile goes. In this case (and yours and mine), the counter extends beyond the cabinet...so let the tile go with it. I mean we all practically age ourselves ten years just to find that PERFECT tile that will go with our counters, right? So why not show it off?!? My two cents. Please be sure and let us see your finished product!
    ...See More

Our Kitchen Remodel

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you all! We actually did this a couple of years ago but I realized I never posted pics! We have since gotten new furniture which has helped complete the look. The cabinets are light gray. I cant remember the name of the pendant lights but here are some pics with them on. Best of luck in your remodels! It's sooooo worth it in the end as I now love our kitchen and home.
    ...See More

LG Viatera Quartz

Q

Comments (1)
    Have not used that color, but we've used that brand of stone before, and we were very happy with is and so was our client!
    ...See More

LG Viatera Rococo Quartz Counters

Q

Comments (0)
    We picked out these gorgeous quartz counters and are now trying to make the agonizing decision between white cabinets or black cabinets to go with the quartz. Anyone have these? Pictures? Which white did you use? Anyone pair it with black?
    ...See More
  • Lois Barber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Went with the Lumina by Viatera. It goes GREAT with my white cabinets, as well as my wood island. I am going with a very soft dove gray smallish subway tile as my backsplash. The bright white subway tiles did indeed clash, just like you said. Here is a close-up of Lumina

ght white subway tiles did indeed clash, just like you said.

• ann_b_g
    3 years ago

Lois Thank you for this info! I am also thinking of going with Lumina countertops paired with medium tone wood cabinets, and a dark grey kitchen island. Could you share some more photos of how yours look with both your white cabinets and the island? We were also planning on white subway tiles, so thanks for clarifying the clashing issue. How warm/cool would you say the white background in the Lumina is?

• Lois Barber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hu - I am going with a warm, light gray tile made in Spain by a company called "WOW". the color is called "Pearl gloss" and it goes fabulously with the white cabinets and Lumina. the sales gal/designer recommended it. It took me a couple of weeks to come to grips with the fact that bright white subway tiles would clash. FYI: my kitchen island is made of wood, and the Lumina goes well with that also. I would post a photo but the tile won't be in for another week and a half. The WOW subway tile comes in 2 sizes. I went with the smaller 3 x 6" Here's a link to the tile I used- (I realize how hard it is to tell anything from a photo, but maybe you can call around and find it at a dealer.) https://www.artwalktile.com/products/wow/subway-lab/subway-lab-line-one-liso-m-pearl-gloss-wowsublablisomg5

• Bryan Lang
    3 years ago

Would love more photos of your Lumina installed! We are thinking of carrying it up as our backsplash as well. Would it just look plain white from a distance or do you think the pretty veining would show up some?

• Lois Barber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are waiting for the subway tile backsplash to be installed. It was on backorder. right now my kitchen is a mess but i can take some photos. You definitely see the feathered marble veining and it dow not look pure white.. I highly recommend a subway tile made by WOW in a light grey called Pearl Gloss, if you go with a tile.. It is a warm, soft gray and goes PERFECT with the colors of the Lumina quartz. I probably couldn't afford a whole backsplash of Lumina, so it wasn't considered, but it would probably be fantastic.

• Lois Barber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bryan, I just picked up my WOW Pearl Gloss 3 X 6 subway tile, but it is not installed yet. I put a quarter in the photo to try to give you a sense of scale. the subway tile is 3 X 6, but they make a larger subway as well as a modern 3-D type of tile. Photo is only lit by a northern exposure window this morning, so color is not exact, but when I lighten photo, it washes out the background of the Lumina.

• ann_b_g
    3 years ago

Hi Lois, could you share a photo showing how your Lumina counter looks with your wood island? We are trying to keep our stained medium-brown cabinets. While I love how white the Lumina background is, it may be a touch too modern for our 1990s wood, so I am curious to see how it looks with your island. Also if you have one with the white cabinets I'd ;ove to see that too (depending on how the cabinets look w new counters, we may paint them eventually). Thanks!

• Lois Barber
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Lumina has some warm tone marbling (bottom left) as well as some true grays. Hard to see in photos but i think the slight variation allow it to go well with both wood and white cabinets (color is not exact as in real life. It appears pinkish here)

• Lois Barber
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lumina with wood island (rest of kitchen is white)

• Bryan Lang
    3 years ago

Thanks, Lois! Do you have a picture of the counters with your white cabinets? I noticed that none of the stock photos feature it with white cabinets—it looks good when I told the samples together...

• Lois Barber
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Viatera Lumina with white cabinets photo -- My cabinets are 14 years-old, so they are not the pure bright white they once might have been, but t

hey are not as gray as this photo indicates they are. That being said, I had my heart set on white subway tiles, but they were way too bright white for my kitchen. I had to go with a warm light gray. They are not installed yet. If you have your heart set on white subway tiles, wait till after any countertop is installed to see how they would look before ordering. In my kitchen, the 3 different whites really clashed. It took me a few weeks to get over the hump of not being able to buy white subway tiles. My advice would be to get the countertop you love, then decide on the tile backsplash. It's easy enough to get some tile samples to take home. I had existing cabinets and my countertop showroom allowed me to borrow their Lumina sample to bring home overnight with the promise I would return it the next day (which I did.) PS - now that I went with light gray, I am thrilled with the decision! You'll get over the white subway desire when you see the new, gorgeous countertop

• J C
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Lois- this is so helpful! Thanks. Im installing the Viatera Lumina in our master bath. I would love to see a photo of your backsplash with the Lumina, if you don't mind doing that. Thanks, and hope you are happy with how it all turned out.

Did the demo of your old countertop do any damage to your cabinets/walls?

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The old counters popped right off! No damage to cabinets at all!

I LOVE my Lumina and sing its praises to anyone looking for something that looks like marble. I used a warm gray tile made by WOW. WOW makes this color tile in many shapes and sizes, if you son't ant subway. the color is called "Pearl Gloss" . It's hard to photo the exact colors Just want to say we did a lousy job of grouting : (

• J C
    2 years ago

Thanks for the photo! Looks beautiful, and I think the grout looks fine.

We have tile countertops/backsplash that will need to be demo'd, and we've been warned that they could damage the cabinets and mirror :-( - hope that doesn't happen. I dislike the current tile countertop so much, though, that Im willing to risk it.

Thanks!

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

I was afraid too but the man who came to measure popped it right off. (I was willing to risk it also.)

• J C
    2 years ago

Was your old countertop tiles, or a solid surface?

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

I only had a 4" countertop continuation going up the walls and no backsplash, but i don't think it would be an issue.

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

It was Silestone- a quartz

• HU-121864582
    2 years ago

We are getting the Vitatera Lumina quarts countertop. We are using it with Maple Rye stained cabinets (light wood). I was planning to use white subway tile until I read this. Do you think a cream or beige colored tile would look good with the Viatere Lumina quartz?

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

My cabinets were old white cabinets which had aged so the white subway clashed too much with them. It is easy enough to decide your tile backsplash after your countertops are in. FYI: I just held up a pure white piece of paper over the Lumina and it looked GREAT! I definitely would have gone for the pure white subway tile (my heart was set on it) but they made my old white cabinets looked terrible. Bring a white tile into the showroom to see how it would look.

• HU-121864582
    2 years ago

Ok. So maybe white tile will match for me since my cabinets aren’t white. Thank you so much!

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

It was my old white cabinets that were the problem.

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

Post photos when your job is finished!

• HU-121864582
    2 years ago

Ok

• HU-826771515
    2 years ago

Hello @HU-121864582 - I'm in the process of upgrading my kitchen. I definitely want to purchase Lumina quartz for my counters but I am 7 sf short of having to buy a second slab, which I'm hoping I don't have to do. I've called every remnants place in Sacramento area. By chance do you have any remnants of your lumina quartz that you'd be willing to sell so I don't have to buy two full jumbo slabs?

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

Your slab warehouse might have a piece. They way they work it now is that the installer comes to your house with a laser that measures, and they cut it exactly to what you need at their business, so there is no leftover pieces that they leave at your house, not even the sink cutout.

• HU-826771515
    2 years ago

No unfortunately, the slab warehouse doesn't have this particular quartz and I called all the remnants locations in the Sacramento area and none of them have this quartz as well. So frustrating that I'd have to purchase a second jumbo slab for just 7 sf. But when I tried to look at the XL jumbo slabs available at Dalatile and MSI I just didn't like their colors or style. The lumina is a bright white stone with simple grey/taupe veining - it's exactly what I want.

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

Perhaps if you do a bathroom counter it would justify buying the second slab. My installer charged me by the foot, so if I went into a second slab, I didn't have to pay for the part I didn't use. Home Depot carried Viaterra brand, but the one near me doesn't carry Lumina because it is a new color. That was lat year. Write to corporate and ask if they plant on carrying Lumina nation-wide. go to Viaterra Corporate and perhaps you can find other dealers that carry it. I had to drive about 40 minutes to see it person and order it.

• Jonathan Watts
    2 years ago

First pics of lumina or adagio gold installed in the wild. Thank you so much for posting these! It is a very nice look with white. If you want to share more of the overall look of the quartz in a wider kitchen pic, then I will be on the look out.

• jlarsen321
    2 years ago

This thread has been helpful. I'm highly considering Lumina, any blaring concerns that people have that have Lumina? Are you still happy with it. It seems you can find bad reviews about any brand of quartz these days. Any chipping or yellowing? Can't wait for the kitchen decisions to be done!!!

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

I have Lumina and I am VERY happy with it. No yellowing, no chipping, it goes well with white cabinets as well as wood

• HU-989015962100
    2 years ago

Whatever you chose to go with GO SEE A FULL SLAB OF IT, even if it's a one-hour drive. some of the quartz in person have thick veins in them that I personally am not a fan of, but the small sample in the store had none of this thick veining.

• HU-121864582
    2 years ago

We have had them for almost a year now, and we still love them! They still look new.

• Lauren Esposito
    last year

Are viatera Etude and Lumina mostly grey viens ??

• HU-989015962100
    last year

I have Lumina and it is gray veining, with variations in the darkness and lightness of the grays. My advice- GO SEE A FULL SLAB OF ANYTHING YOU ARE INTERESTED IN. I couldn't believe how different they look in a big piece. Lowes had a brand that the small counter they had was really nice. In person, it had HUGE, thick veins. Th counter at the store had none. I said to the salesman on my next trip back "They purposely picked a piece without the thick veining to be on display." He nodded yes, like he agreed with me.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus