SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haylee_grote

is quartzite the best choice?

H G
3 years ago

I need to pick countertop and back splash material and love the look of quartzite. I’m worried about some of the negative posts of water marks and staining issues. I can take ordinary care but need to be able to do things like canning tomatoes. I’ve had granite for 20 years with no issues but I want a change. These are the cabinet door samples, the uppers are all the mushroom color and the lowers are the dark wood. Looking for color suggestions, too. The cabinets are ordered but nothing else.

Comments (50)

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Not all quartzites are the same...some are fantastic, others are trouble.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That’s what has me worried.

• Related Discussions

Quartzite Island: Best Options for Proper Support?

Q

Comments (8)
    @suzyq, what a beautiful kitchen! Is the base attached to the floor? Screwed into plywood: plywood between the base and the countertop? Thanks for the picture! @Joseph Corlett, LLC and @ Sophie Wheeler: We don't actually want to float/cantilever it, but good to know given pots of $$$ it could be done. I was trying to explain why our plans show no support (Ikea planner limitation), but it seems my can't-sleep-obsessing-about-the-kitchen-musings didn't translate well! Check on cost of mitering edges: about $1500 extra per fabricator. That includes the extra material and labor. I'll stick with the 3cm, and possibly an ogee edge (otherwise pencil edge). The table base look is our first choice. Found the Osborne Wood table kits through various countertop support discussions here, and they look very good. I've been in touch with them today, and leaning heavily that way. Sophie: Good point about the electric. There will be power for the undermounted microwave and we plan an outlet at each end. Osborne has a option to add outlets right into the legs, although if it's part of an apron the post top must be 5" wide. In this house there is ALWAYS a good place to plug in the blender! If needed, we'll go the route of adding the 15" cabinets. Secure and stable is the priority.
    ...See More

Best LED for backlight translucent counters, quartzite?

Q

Comments (16)
    Acrylic panels are the best because they dissipate the light evenly without shadows which is important for a standard counter depth. I used LED perimeter because it was a shallow shelf but can still cast a shadow. No one seems to notice but me because they rave about the beauty of the result.
    ...See More

Best sealant for porous quartzite

Q

Comments (22)
    My quartzite has done well with the Tenax Proseal. I can‘t emphasize enough that you shouldn’t leave the sealer on for more than a couple of minutes before you wipe it off. The instructions on my label said something like ’leave on for some time’ so we guessed at 15 minutes which led to the countertops being covered with a haze which we were extremely lucky to be able to remove because we did it within a day. You will want N95 masks and to open the windows when you apply the sealant. The smell is very strong. There was a time or two when olive oil sat on the counter unnoticed and left a stain which we were able to remove by making a paste of baking soda and water and covering with saran wrap for a couple of hours. We have no permanant stains after 10 months of use. One other comment…our countertops are very shiny and from an angle I often see fingerprints on them. I’m not sure whether this would be the case with other sealers or not. Overall, I am happy with the outcome, and based on the fact that my almost white counters aren’t stained, I would use the Tenax again. Thanks to Joseph Corlett for the recommendation!
    ...See More

Quartzite Slab choices - long post- help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Way too much worry about appearance and not any worry about performance. You need to test any slab personally to see if in fact it's quartzite and if so, how porous it is. Don't believe anything a stone salesperson in this regard please.
    ...See More
  • eam44
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So you’ve read the negative quartzite threads. I have too. Consider Soapstone.

• Barbara Almandarz
    3 years ago

Glad you're not doing all white, but mixing some brown here and there. If you've had no issues with granite, go with a quartzite you like, not too busy, but blending the two colors. That will give you tons of options for a backsplash- either subway or glass tiles in a solid color. Good luck!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

What is the FLOORING? Grantite and quartzite are both a material and a stone. There are zillions of both. There are light dark, those with a lot of movement, and those with not a lot : ) They can be honed, or leathered, or glossy. ........some quartzite more susceptible to etching and staining than others.

You choose a top that works for you, the look and feel of the kitchen....

I would lose the corbels in that hood design right now, Before you worry on tops, and please consider a counter depth fridge as well. . jmho.

A backsplash is the last worry, choose it LAST after tops are installed.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@jan Moyer thank you for your input. Floors are oak, oak strip wood to be refinished—color not picked yet. I’m 97% sure I want something light in same tone as the uppers. I‘ve seen perla venata but didn’t have the door sample with me. Can you tell me why you feel strongly about the corbels?

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

*and the fridge is counter depth. :)

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@jan Moyer, I hear you. I’m going to tell them to not order the corbels. If I can’t get them out of my head (unlikely), I can order them later. Picking that range hood was a torment. So many pictures with sleek stainless, but I just couldn’t love them and probably going overboard in the other direction.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Yes...............overboard : ) is the perfect answer. Can't stop you but. It tends to suggest the Mc Mansion thing from quite a while ago.

Taj Mahal below, . She might have gone overboard, initially......but didn't . it used to be a dark cherry and granite kitchen with all the goo that went with that. But it is your house and your happy buttons and your money as well.

Interior Design Work · More Info

Dining colors? The REASON for the Taj Mahal

• laurelcollins
    3 years ago

@Jan Moyer Happy Buttons! I like that!

• Steph H
    3 years ago

I love your cabinet color choices. Why not look at quartz?

• missenigma
    3 years ago

@H G Your drawing is showing a space for the refrigerator being built that would accommodate a full depth refrigerator. If you want the space to ONLY accommodate a counter depth, then the refrigerator space side panels would at a maximum be flush with the edge of the countertop.

Having said that . . . here's something to consider:

Lots of folks on here always advise counter depth refrigerators. Doing so mimics the sleek, integrated, built in look of a sub-zero type refrigerator. From a design perspective, it's the way to go.

The challenge with stand alone counter depth refrigerators (i.e., LG, Samsung, Kitchenaid, etc.) is capacity. Their cubic foot capacity is on par with a 33" wide full depth. After redoing my kitchen and shopping for counter depth, I discovered that they had less capacity than my 25 year old 33" side by side. Why? Because my old refrigerator doesn't have ice or water. Many new ones do and that eats into storage capacity. I chose full depth even though a counter depth would have looked so much better and had my refrigerator space built to accommodate a full size as shown in your drawing.

Of course family size and lifestyle factors into it. Just some things to think about.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Not only the corbells are a 20-year-old design feature, but the raised panel doors. What is the style of your home? make sure the kitchen design doesn't look forced and not part of the overall design. You can still have an elegant kitchen without all the extra doo-dads, that can overwhelm a kitchen that isn't the size of a football field.

• Jacqueline McClendon-Adams
    3 years ago

Raised panel can be great if you limit the number of doors/drawers in a small kitchen and don't get all fancy on other elements to make it transitional. I would do quartz, there's plenty of variety, and no fears of wine stains, etc. Cambria and other quartz manufacturers offer similar looks that will blow your mind. Just reach out to the manufacturer and show them a version of your quartzite and most have a pretty close substitute.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@beverlyFLAdeziner. The doors are my choice and ordered, partly because I have those square shaker doors in natural maple and I’m over it. The house is 20 yearly old and this kitchen is part of an open floor plan. In the same space (not shown) is octagon shaped bump out for eat in kitchen table . The corbels I’ll ditch. The cabinets go with the feel of dining room set I am absolutely keeping.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@missenigma the fridge is kitchen aide counter depth and drawn based on the specs. Yes they have lower capacity but there is a butlers pantry with another fridge. :) so capacity is less of a problem. I don’t have room or money for a subzero.

• missenigma
    3 years ago

@H G In the artists rendering, that is not a counter depth enclosure for a refrigerator. Here's a picture from Maytag's site showing a counter depth refrigerator install. Compare the depth of the side panels in the picture to what's shown in your drawing.

If your drawing is wrong, that's fine. Just be sure the panels will be cut to the proper depth.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@missenigma just confirmed on my appliance receipt that fridge is definitely counter depth. I appreciate the comments and I emailed the kitchen planner to double check the drawing etc. the side panels could be trimmed but not that upper cabinet. better safe than sorry.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

This factors into the counter-depth confusion: several manufacturers label their fridges as counter-depth when they are more than 25" deep. So your order will say counter-depth, but the specs say, for example, 27" deep. Then you have air space, space for the plug, etc., so it sticks out a bit further.

The true counter-depth models are often taller, and do not have door dispensers.

• Sue54321 ABC
    3 years ago

Let the cabinet maker know your make and model
    of fridge so they can look up the physical dimensions and plan accordingly.

• missenigma
    3 years ago

@H G Never hurts to double check to avoid surprises. There won't be any problems with the upper cabinet. It's typical to order them at a 24" depth and install them anywhere from flush to wall or pulled out as needed to align with the side panels.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

MAKE CERTAIN he has the specs for the fridge. . Period. The door is proud of the cabinet enclosure, ( unless integrated ) or it won't open. the sides should be fully covered. In order to do that? give him the full page of specand install instructions.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jan Moyer The full specs were all provided to the kitchen designer. I went to their recommended appliance vendor (after shopping they gave me the best price ) i am certain they have it all. .I bought a kitchenaid counter depth, French door platinum stainless. I will triple check what’s up with the drawing to make sure it’s correct. I also got in touch with my feelings since reading your comments and I’m going to switch to a stainless hood, simplify the crown molding, and (probably) kill the grills on the two glass doors. I will also take your advice and pick and install the countertops before I do anything with tile.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

That is a VERY good call, on all.!! Design is editing.....

Tip on the "grills"? The shelves. If you love them? Fine! The issue with a full grid on the door? Is the line up of Shelf. IT NEVER COMES OUT RIGHT. There is nothing worse than the look of a mismatch horizontal grid/shelf behind. The only way to avoid is custom drill holes last to match up the shelving to the grid. Never happens : )

• ljptwt7
    3 years ago

Interesting thread. How about Fusion Quartzite? Colors may work but I don't know anything about the staining issues.
    I love the looks of quartzite much more that quartz but need one that won't bite you later!
    I think you need to bring your doors to a stone yard.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ljptwt7 i searched images of that Fusion quartzite. Wow, those colors would work and it looks like wild Mother Nature. Stunning but too busy for what I’m going for.

• Linda Stefanish
    3 years ago

@Jan Moyer, I love the backsplash on the picture that you showed. If you know what it is do you mind sharing?

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@jan Moyer I had my meeting and killed corbels and the wood hood, the grills and simpler crown. I still had to get an exhaust insert but that budget will go towards the stainless hood. I still love the over all
    Plan. The best news is I’m saving almost $5k. You rock.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Hmm, with such a traditional kitchen based on door selection I think the SS hood may be a bit too modern for it? Corbell and grills gone, good choice but the wood hood... and pick out the counter after the cabinets are installed. Many times what looks good now in the showroom, doesn't work as well after the cabinets are in and you get a real feel for it.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tedbixby i looked at so many pictures at this point and most do seem to use the wood but there are examples with stainless and that will match the appliances. When you enter the kitchen area, the stove wall is not the main focal point. There is also a fireplace on the other end of the room and the opposite wall has quite a few windows looking out to a well landscaped yard.

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

Following

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

I wouldn't select a hood because of it matching the appliances. If everyone did that, there would never be any wood hoods. Did you originally come up with wanting the wood for the hood or was it something the Designer suggested? We can offer good advise here but you also have to take into consideration what you want and you know the space and look of what you want to achieve. And the stove wall doesn't have to be a focal point to have a particular hood. It just matters what is selected works with everything else. One other thought is that if you go with a wood hood after-all, maybe redesign it to something simpler as I think even loosing the corbels it is still too busy and does look a bit dated.

I'm not saying this hood is "it" but this one is wood but still gives you the simplicity look of a stainless.

raised panel kitchen cabinets with stainless steel hood - Google Search · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

All stainless will blend. ALLLLLL OF IT.. That said, you CAN simplify a cabinet match for the hood and insert. This is the differenc3e between cabinet seller and designer that is rearing its head ? Yes, possibly.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

The backsplash posted in my clients home with the Taj Mahal was Alyse Edwards "Tongue in Chic" collection ( 2.5 inches x 10 inches ) in color......mmmmmmm "Don't Bisque it" comes to mind: ) ? Was either that, or or "Don't be a Shell Out"

Both are colors within the ccollection

I had a glass or two at dinner.........: )

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tedbixby i totally understand what you are saying. I’ve been back and forth over this and right now the wood hood is out of the order. If I change my mind AGAIN i can put it back. I actually cook in my kitchen and stainless is checking a box for me.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Back to the original question.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

If you want the Taj Mahal? Lose the mushroom color for cabinetry. Go whiter. Please go whiter. I think your real struggle here is refining what you WANT. Super traditional, a bit traditional more TRANS- itional.

You can simplify the hood and crown. If you cook a lot? It is no lie that stainless hood is easiest to lean. Even well vented, grease rises.

In other words, if you are getting a new kitchen, get a new kitchen. there are also variations on shaker faces, that land squarely between raised cabinetry, and hard core shaker. Put a little bead of trim in there

Just don't buy yourself a dated kitchen is all anyone is saying, and that includes me.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The cabinets are ordered. You would use a lighter counter top? There are lighter slabs

• missenigma
    3 years ago

@H G Depending upon their process and where your order is in production, some manufacturers allow you to change paint color after the order is placed. Just a thought in case it comes to that.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The thing is I really love these colors. I don’t want to change them, whether I could or not. 🙂

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Then lose the Taj Mahal. And you will have a harder time if you want a light top. A granite maybe.......back to the stone shop. Not Taj.

I think you should post some pics of adjacent rooms. I also think you are at a ppint where you need an interior DESIGNER to tie your various conflicting wants together. Just trust me.....Taj Mahal isn't your answer.

ALSO...... when you choose mushroom? Plan right now where that mushroom crown molding will die or tie into other trim in your home. Which is now WHAT?

NOT ONE THING LIVES IN TOTAL ISOLATION.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

HG- Is it possible to wait to decide on the counter top till your cabinets are installed? It is so much easier to figure out a counter top after the cabinets are installed as you get to see the whole picture, cabinets and flooring together, and how everything is reacting to your lighting and not the store's or the stone yards. And by the time the cabinets are installed you'll have fresh eyes again to start the search and a better feel for the direction you want to go.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is possible to wait. I’m also going to get some in person advice. I’ve never asked a question like this on an open forum before. The original question was about quartzite as a material. I wasn’t expecting the diversion. 🤪

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

LOL. It's the internet. But a good designer will be asking you same, and asking questions...............that don't lead you to a jumble of looks. Design is always gets and give ups. It is always editing and refining. That is where people get hung up, and how designers help them AVOID the hang up result. or shoulda woulda coulda's

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Ha-ha HG... the day that this forum answers the original question only is the day Houzz no longer exist -lol.. at least most of those asking questions do listen to us old people who have had a life time of mistakes - I mean experience-lol...

• missenigma
    3 years ago

And you've already estimated that Jan saved you about $5K.

• H G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Definitely on the savings. I still don’t know what to do about picking a range hood or the countertops though 😂 Usually I am very sure of what i want and this pushed me out of my comfort zone. For now I don’t think I’ll be posting more pictures. I am a Libra and my scales are already swinging like crazy!

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Come back when your cabinets are installed and we can go from there. Your brain is on overload right now and you just need to step away from it for a bit. Which I think you can do at this point since your cabinets are ordered? ⚖

• HU-161159613
    3 years ago

follow