SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Trying to Understand "Water Hammer" On a Specific Toilet

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have the dreaded "water hammer" problem on one of my toilets. Water hammer is when the pressure builds in a water line and causes an audible vibration as the pipe shakes. Most online resources say water hammer should be happening when a toilet fill valve closes. Unfortunately, my water hammer is starting to happen when the toilet valve opens and the tank refill begins. Can anyone guess what would cause this to happen?

The affected toilet has a Brondell Japanese-style toilet/bidet, so the fill line has a T adapter that also diverts some water to the toilet seat. I wonder if that T adapter might have jammed up. Maybe my first move should be to drain the toilet basin, completely disconnect the Japanese toilet seat from the plumbing, and then see if the problem is still there when the plumbing goes straight to the basin?

With the plumbing valve to the toilet shut off, do I need to take any special precautions when I disconnect the plumbing? I do not want to end up with water everywhere.

How important is it to install a water hammer arrestor at each toilet in a home?

Comment (1)