SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_276746588

Some roses not budding after deadheading? Why?

Sara B.
3 years ago

I live in a year-round rose growing region, a Zone 9b where, to the best I can tell, we have roses year-round.

I have nine bushes in my yard, four of which are hybrid tea roses over six feet tall, and another five which I don't know what are -- all came with my house when I bought it a few years ago. I know one is "taboo" and another is "Dallas" from tags I dug up in the ground. So older varieties. I must say taboo has the most amazingly long-lasting flowers -- some will bloom for over two weeks with massive red blossoms. Great rose! Unsure what all the others are.

So I only began pruning them this year. Previously a landscaping company came and did it. And I must say it really improved things! I have been diligently deadheading each rose when it dies, every few days, and now three of the tall, hybrid tea roses have 18-20 new blooms all over them, with beautifully fresh leaves! And this is the third round for some of them in the past five months.

However, one hybrid tea isn't growing anything when I deadhead/prune it (unsure if there's a big difference -- I cut the flower off so that the new growth will be nice and not point out at some weird angle or be gangly. And NONE of the littler roses are responding to pruning at all?

Can anyone tell me why or if I should be doing something else?

Also, some of the canes have no leaves on them due to neglect, and those seem to never grow buds. What do I do with those?

Comments (8)