SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlasollano54

How to update this ginormous kitchen and greatroom?

carlasollano54
3 years ago

My friend owns this Pacific Northwest behomoth, not updated an iota since it was built but still in great shape. My first thoughts are: it's too dark, too woody, too heavy. The ceramic flooring is coming out, as is the backsplash and that fireplace gizmo. (Sorry, no photo of the family room beyond the fireplace, but it's just a big box). Leaning toward wood flooring thoughout, but with all that cabinetry I'm fearing it will feel like the inside of a giant coffin.

Change the miles of dark granite to something lighter/fresher? Paint some or all of the cabinets a lighter color? (I know "it's great wood" - I don't care -- it's too much of the same.) Remove one of the islands? Separate the kitchen from the family room with an interior wall? I can see that paint and new lighting will help a lot, but honestly need fresh eyes on this.

The butler's kitchen (pic 1) is off to the left of the picture window, and the breakfast nook (pic 2) is to the right of the sliding glass doors. Spendid views from all windows.

Comments (28)