SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldalonde

How to maximize space in 8ftx4ft island?

eldalonde
3 years ago

Buying a new build tract home. I am trying to maximize functionality of the 8ft island it comes with in the kitchen. L shape kitchen has two bulkheads on the two sides with no walls, and a support post that meets the two and ends at the corner of the island. The island comes standard with the sink and dishwasher in it, along with a set of drawers and and odd skinny cabinet. it also apparently has 12inches of void space behind the cabinets that we can utilize/have finished as an "upgrade".
From what I have been told, the sink and dishwasher have to stay at the island but can be adjusted. Plan is to have seating for 3 (since post will make it uncomfortable for 4)

I attached a rough drawing (sorry I have littles at home with me so did my best in a few spare moments) and guess my question is how best to utilize the space? Move the skinny cab to the range side and make it a pullout spice rack? or resize cabinets to get rid of it altogether? Move the sink and DW for more prep space?
Will that look weird with the post? what to put in void spaces, shelves for books? basic cabinets for oversized baking/cooking sheets?
I am reasonably happy with the layout of the rest of the kitchen, it just seems to be the island that I hope to really get use out of.
any thoughts will be appreciated 🙂

Comments (17)