SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_278788126

Natural Wood Kitchen

HU-278788126
3 years ago

My wife and I are speaking with contractors and designers to remodel our outdated kitchen. We’d like to install wood cabinets with a white granite or quartz for a “natural” look. However, we are afraid of instead achieving an outdated 90’s / early 2000’s wood kitchen cabinet look.

We are new to remodeling and want to make sure that we correctly express our ideas. How do we explain that we want something like this:

But NOT like this:

If you need more examples, we have an album full of “good” and an album of “bad” pictures.

Some share similar features so it’s difficult to specify what we do and don’t like. We’d like to have it nailed down though prior to taking the plunge. Any advice will be helpful. Thank you in advance!

Comments (80)

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Shannon_WI - For some reason it wont let me post the pictures that I took of our kitchen, so I will try this one overview shot:

• missenigma
    3 years ago

Of course budget is a factor. But the OP is looking to gain insight on how to articulate the overall look they are after and why one natural wood kitchen appealed to them and one didn't. Armed with this knowledge, when they start shopping, they'll soon learn what their budget can accommodate and adjust expectations accordingly. The bottom line is the look they want and expectations they have, are best achieved with white oak.

I purchased solid cherry cabinets at the end of 2018. I'd started out wanting painted. From a pricing perspective, I was surprised to discover that with a few exceptions (like for walnut or sapele) a painted finish was the highest cost finish. Quartersawn White Oak was on par with painted pricing. Painted maple with MDF door panels was about 10-15% more than cherry. The least expensive options were stained maple and alder. I kept a pricing spreadsheet. These are the general trends I found across the brands I looked at. Not all brands offered all wood species I considered.

Because I tend to over research and analyze, I shopped for a year and looked at cabinet offerings across all price points and quality. I considered framed and frameless, full overlay and inset. Brands I looked at: Crownpoint, Plain & Fancy, Omega, Wood-Mode, Brookhaven, Durasupreme, Brighton, Kraftmaid, IKEA, Candlelight, Mouser, Merrillat, Wellborn, Mid Continent, and Shiloh. I'm probably missing a few.

Anyway, it was an interesting project. And even though I knew some brands were beyond my budget, it helped to explore them to understand what you get for the additional cost.

• Related Discussions

Show me pics of your bright, wood kitchens!!

Q

Comments (34)
    Hi Boxerpups, I really love the wood tone in that sixth photo down on your Monday post, the kitchen with the black (blue?) range and the French-door fridge. Do you know what that wood is? I would call it "golden natural cherry" if I were making up names, but would like to know what it's really called... it might look nice with my burgundy range and pale yellow sink... Thanks!
    ...See More

Refinish a wood table?

Q

Comments (1)
    There is no simple and quick way to refinish an old table. You will have to remove the old finish first, using one of several strippers available. Stripping the old finish off could reasonably take 8 to 16 hours of labor. If the stripper contains methylene chloride, or releases any other obnoxious vapors, the work should be done outdoors. With the old finish off, some light sanding will be needed to clean up the surface and prepare it for the new finish. The sanding step might take two hours. Polyurethane varnish is what most people would choose these days for the new finish. These varnishes are waterproof, not affected by food or drinks containing alcohol, and long-lasting. It might take two hours to apply a coat of varnish, then two days of waiting for it to cure, then an hour of rubbing with steel wool, and another coat of varnish. Two more days of curing, and you are done. As you can see, there is considerable time involved in a project like this. If you like the table, it is worth refinishing.
    ...See More

Kitchen Upgrade

Q

Comments (4)
    Depending how tall you all are and how much space there is between the cupboard and counter currently, I think moving the cupboards up to the ceiling might make them too high. But you could mitigate this by putting a shelf underneath them, maybe half the depth of the cupboard. I've seen this done on here, and it looks nice. Then the top shelf of the cupboard becomes functional for storage of less-used items if you get a step-stool. If it were in the budget, you could leave the cupboards where they are and add small cupboards on top, maybe with glass in the doors.
    ...See More

Paint my wood cabinets?

Q

Comments (28)
    Beautiful walnut cabinets. I love your kitchen it is a treasure. I love your hood and the backsplash tile. Very pretty. Walnut cabinets and wood floors something light like below would be wonderful in your space.
    ...See More
  • missenigma
    3 years ago

HU-278788126

"The last picture bothered me because it has nice looking cabinets and the white counters, but something about it was off...I couldn’t quite put my finger on it but I THINK that it’s due to the wood floors, now that you say that."

I'd challenge that conclusion. Take a look at this photo again, does this wood floor bother you?

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Shannon_WI - The layout is as follows:

- North wall is wall with oven/fridge - approx. 135" total length

- East wall is wall with door. Beyond that is the garage. Total length is approx. 134"

- South wall is wall with microwave. There is a pole that we believe is structural where the calendar

hangs. To the right of the south wall is our dining room. Total length including pole is approx. 79"

- West side is where peninsula sits. Total counter length is approx. 96"

We currently expect to pay anywhere between $35,000-$50,000. We have one of two goals:

Option 1: a simple update of cabinets/counter, raising the drop ceiling and maybe moving the fridge to the south wall

Option 2: a more complete remodel, including moving the door to another room to utilize the east wall, moving the fridge, raising the drop ceiling, and tearing out part of the south wall to see into the dining room

We first went to Lowes, who estimated option one at around $25,000. We then went to a custom cabinet maker who advised he can provide the cabinets/counter (without installation) for option one for approximately $15,000. We are now speaking with a kitchen contractor who says he can accomplish option 1 for $25,000 and option 2 for $35,000.

If our current cost estimation is way out of line with our vision, please let us know. This is our first renovation so we simply have no reference for what it costs to achieve all of this.

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@missenigma - no, that one definitely looks like beautiful. What would you attribute the difference to?

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    3 years ago

following. I was told about a year ago that white oak was hard to come by. Michigan. is that dependant on location or just that supplier or is it true? I agree with OP, your vision is gorgeous. I've wanted real wood in my kitchen back when everyone was doing grey. I'm excited to see what you end up doing

• ksd4423
    3 years ago

I don't think anyone has mentioned the type of finish. I'm doing white perimeter cabinets and a white oak island. To keep it from going orange you will need a water based stain with a natural finish. Oil based will make it turn orange. At least that is what I have read. On instagram you can glean information on their posts, for instance using a white wash and a water based stain helps it achieve that blonde/white washed look. I don't know anything about a cabinet makers tricks so your cabinet maker or their finishers really need to know their stuff or they need to contact someone in their network who has done that successfully before.

• shead
    3 years ago

We have local hardwood flooring plants and they have also had a shortage of white oak recently.

I would attribute the difference in missenigma's photo to the fact that there is a LOT of contrast going in that pic. The counters and walls are light as is the island. The rug visually defines the floor from the cabinets which is KEY for this successful look. The sheen differences, too, play a role. That room has a ton of natural light as well.

• PRO
    ABtelier Design
    3 years ago

@ HU-278788126
    I totally understand what you mean!

If ever you need me to validate all your choices to ensure they blend perfectly, I do phone consultation. Goal is to make sure you have a main visual focus, with point of accent and that all element enhance each other.

Best regards,

• SJ E
    3 years ago

I attribute the difference to being the lack of wooden uppers...the backsplash fills the area.

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@SJ E - I've had the same thoughts. It makes me wonder how to find a nice balance with how many wooden uppers we install without having so many that it feels heavy and overbearing. On one hand, the storage space of the uppers is nice. On the other, it may feel lighter and more spacious without them.

• rebasheba
    3 years ago

One of your first round of photos showed glass-fronted cabinets, which seem like a great compromise on the visual weight vs. storage issue.

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@rebasheba - we’ve been tossing around the idea of open shelves vs glass front cabinets on either side of the range hood. I’m a fan of the look!

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/webuser-278788126

We did Maple cabinets, go look at my page under idea books new build gabe to see the wood cabiinets done in different stains. & granite.

hope this link works

https://www.houzz.com/plans/new-build-gabe-pp~266142?stepId=saved

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Cheryl, there's nothing saved in the profile you linked.

• kirbybunny7
    3 years ago

Just finished up a hickory kitchen!

• kirbybunny7
    3 years ago

More pics

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/tartanmeup

Thanks, can someone click on the link now to see if it works please.

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Cheryl Hannebauer - the second link on your first post worked. That is a beautiful choice of wood!

• H202
    3 years ago

I love the inspiration photos you posted. All that said, I would be really really hesitant to try to replicate that kitchen.

First, while high end designers have been using that style wood for a few years now, it really hasn’t trickled down to run of the mill kitchen design stores. There is absolutely no way on earth I would trust a local cabinet manufacturer to try and replicate that look, because I promise you it’s not going to come out right unless they are the most top of the line guy in a major market. What you’re looking for is like the starting point for a future GW post where a year from now you’re lamenting the orange cabinets your mid grade cabinet builder showed up with, even though he swore up and down he could replicate what you wanted based on photos. If you can find a major cabinet manufacturer that does a factory finish, then that would work (though I’d insist on seeing a sample in real life). But I bet you the only big shops offering this line are the most expensive. I don’t think you’re getting what you want from Home Depot.

Second, I think this look risks looking cheap and 90s style if the kitchen isn’t a high end remodel. The hardware, floors, lighting, counters, tiles really contribute to the aesthetic of your inspiration photos. I fear that a more run of the mill $50k kitchen designed by HD, even if you find that style cabinet, ends up just looking like a cheap builder grade wood kitchen without all the other high end features.

I worry this beautiful look is very very hard to pull off.

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@H202 - my exact fear! I worry that we will spend that $35,000+ and wonder why our brand new kitchen looks like a cheap imitation of a perfectly staged magazine photo. Any thoughts on getting around that pitfall with this style or is your opinion to scrap that idea and stick with something more tried and true?

I appreciate the input!

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Ask the cabinet shop to give a sample door in the style and the color/finish that you want...before they build the whole kitchen!

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lucky998877 - yes, that will be an absolute must. Even if we need to pay for a door prior to buying the whole kitchen. I will be seeing those doors first haha.

For what it's worth, I've been considering asking a CMKBD in our area to come out and provide her thoughts vs the contractor we're close to moving forward with. Her website has really nice examples of work she has done and she has gotten great reviews.

However, I hate to muddy the waters as we've talked with a few contractors/cabinet makers now. It's a $400 service for her to consult with us in-home and provide designs, plus whatever her
    designer fee is at the end of the project. I think, though, that it would be well worth it prior to investing $35,000+ into our - hopefully - forever home.

• Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

What H202 said was what I was trying to convey in my earlier post where I flat out said rift-cut white oak is about the most expensive cabinets that exist. And we haven’t even talked about the cost of grain-matching the drawer stacks. What the OP wants (since he has chosen not to get a username for some reason, I don’t feel like using his HU name, even though he persistently tags all the other commenters’ names) is like saying “I am spending for a Camry, and want a Porsche, and think there is a way for me to finesse a Porsche at the Toyota dealership”. Going to Lowe’s or getting Decorators Choice cabinetry is not going to give you the look of the pics you are posting. Either compromise on what you want, or decide to spend more, and not go through your friend the contractor, but instead go to the higher end brands like Plain and Fancy, Kennebec, or fully custom.

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Shannon_WI - thanks for the input! I "persistently tag all the other commenters' names" so that you know who I am talking to, as it is as easy as typing the "@" symbol and the first few letters of your name. The forum fills in the rest. As for not having an actual username, I can't see why that would matter, as I am simply here for some input from those that have been down this road before. I can't imagine why you'd ever need to know my actual name.

As I've said, this will be our first remodel and we "don't know what we don't know," which is why I am here in the first place. We are trying to research what it is that we like and what we don't like. We figure that doing so, along with receiving ideas from contractors and big box stores, is a great place to start.

Again, thanks for your input.

• Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

“I can't imagine why you'd ever need to know my actual name.”

No one needs anyone’s actual name as you can see. It’s just considered good forum etiquette to have a user name. Fine if you don’t want to.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

have you checked w/custom cabinet makers? going to lowes/HD, you're paying them to be the middle man.

if you're keeping your basic layout, your budge is ample for custom made cabs. I posted a pic way up in my first comment showing what the Amish make. that entire ktichen was quarter sawn oak, custom built, solid wood, and she paid 14K for them. There is no way you're getting that quality for that price from Lowes. I'll post another partial view of her cabs. they're beautiful and we'll made.

I don't know where you live, but I believe she was in IA and these were made in OH. I know she had them shipped to her.

A custom cabinet maker builds what you want, and fits it exactly to specs in your kitchen space. This way you aren't trying to fit a 36" cabinet into a 41 1/2" space.

Show the custom guy what you want. doesn't have to be white oak. it could be alder, or hickory, or birch. It's worth exploring so that you can compare what you're getting.

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    3 years ago

A couple differences to check out on actual samples - these won't show up in photos:

* Plywood veneer vs solid wood
    Even though both are 'real' wood surfaces, there can be a perceptible difference in depth of the wood.

* Oil vs Water-based finish
    Oil penetrates deeper into the wood and might be a 'richer' look - but may also give a slight amber tint; water-based finishes are more colorless but also stay more on the surface.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

we used Ikea in 2002, when we remodeled our previous house. Of course, that door style is no long available.

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. : we have spoken with one custom cabinet maker so far. Currently doing more research and scheduling appointments for others (COVID certainly slows that process down a bit). And yes, Lowes/HD was more of a spring board into the world of renovation for us 😆. Those Amish cabinets are beautiful - I’d NEVER expect that you could get them custom made and shipped for $14k. That’s amazing!

@THOR, Son of ODIN - thats great info to know, thank you! We will definitely check into that and do more research.

@sushipup1 - I hadn’t thought of ikea before, but those look awesome! Were you satisfied with the outcome?

• missenigma
    3 years ago

"Going to Lowe’s or getting Decorators Choice cabinetry is not going to give you the look of the pics you are posting."

This is very true. And the OP already acknowledged this.

“What the OP wants . . . is like saying 'I am spending for a Camry, and want a Porsche, and think there is a way for me to finesse a Porsche at the Toyota dealership' ”.

I'm not sure how someone arrived at this sentiment. I've not picked up that vibe from the OP. He seems like a bright gentleman and he's asking questions and gathering information to see what's possible. The OP knows what appeals to him and is trying to learn why he prefers one look over another so he can better understand, identify, and articulate his vision. As he and his wife learn more, they'll know more and will be in a better position to understand what fits there budget.

"Either compromise on what you want, or decide to spend more, and not go through your friend the contractor, but instead go to the higher end brands like Plain and Fancy, Kennebec, or fully custom."

He won't have to sell his kidney to get quartersawn or rift sawn white oak. Well since rift sawn is offered by fewer companies, he may have to sell his wife's kidney but I'm sure he can keep both of his. Just kidding!

There are many other options beside full custom lines from the likes of Plain and Fancy. Omega's Dynasty line, Brighton, and Mouser's Centra to name a few. These are all reputable cabinet companies that offer semi-custom. Then as @Beth H. : has posted, there's the Amish route.

One thing to keep in mind with a local cabinet maker or the Amish, many don't have the ability to achieve the durability of a factory finishes from the major manufacturer's but some can come pretty darn close with today's modern conversion varnishes.

Here's a little secret in the world of cabinet manufacturers: many do not make their own doors (or only make a few styles). They build the boxes but source the doors and drawer fronts from a speciality manufacturer like Conestoga Wood Specialties. Local cabinet makers most often do the same.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Oh, yeah. And that kitchen sold the house, too. We put a new Ikea kitchen into our current house, using the Torhamn fronts, which again is wood, and their most expensive style. But there are several 3rd party companies who made a wide range of Ikea doors and fronts.

• missenigma
    3 years ago

@kirbybunny7 Lovely counters? Soapstone? Are you in the oil or wax camp?

• kirbybunny7
    3 years ago

@missenigma Yes, Alberene soapstone. The quarry is only 45 minutes from my house so we got to wander around and pick our slabs (super fun!). I've only had them a few months but I love the way they look all oiled up with mineral oil.

• jad2design
    3 years ago

I went with rift cut white oak Schuler cabinets (Lowe’s top of the line, with plywood boxes, etc) for my recent remodel and really love them. They look like they came from a cabinet shop not a big box store. But I think there is a trick to that. Part of what makes a kitchen look cheap is going with all standard cabinet sizes. Whether you are conscious of it or not your eye picks up on it. At the time I was shopping for cabinets Schuler was having a 1 dollar sale on changes to their regular sizes, so a standard 24” wide, 36” high, 12”deep box could be ordered as a 22” wide, 32.5“high 11” deep unit for 3 extra dollars. I was fitting out a kitchen in an 100 year old house with a sloping ceiling, mismatched windows, a two foot wide bearing wall in the middle of the room and various indents or protrusions in the general footprint. Half the cabinets ordered were non standard, mostly to accommodate the room’s eccentricities but the end result looks surprisingly more expensive than it was. My budget was more like used Camry than Porsche.

So I recommend keeping big box stores as an option - take a look at their highest end lines, talk to their kitchen designers about upcoming sales (usually around major holidays) and study the pictures you’ve pulled, thinking in terms of the specific proportions you find appealing. I’m betting most of the cabinets you’ve admired are custom, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a similar effect.

Below is a example, two standard cabinet bases, two upper units -non standard height , and a two narrow cabinets (top and bottom) - non standard everything.

I

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@jad2design - those are absolutely beautiful! Do you remember the stain / finish on them?

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

Here's a tip I learned out of necessity when we renovated our little apartment kitchen. We did custom cabinets to make the most of every inch, and chose Shaker style, which looks great on top. But our little drawers would have looked ridiculous with shaker details, so on the advice of our cabinetmaker, we got the bottom cabinets and drawers plain front. It looks great and is great! When things drip or spill on them, they clean up easily. I'd hate to think of what a pain it would have been keeping them clean if we'd gotten Shaker on the lower half of our kitchen.

• jad2design
    3 years ago

In re the color and finish of my cabinets, the color was hazelnut, listed as “glohazelnut”, with glo maybe representing the sheen or finish. Hazelnut was the closest match for the vintage look I was going for. Style was Scottsdale, and although I said “rift sawn” looking at the specs they are actually quarter sawn. Rift sawn has less of a grain to it and I like rift sawn for more a more modern style. You would probably want a clear or natural finish, again, if you want a more modern look. And the slab front drawer faces that judidupi mentions are actually appropriate for either 1920 or 2020.

• PRO
    Designs by Karen
    3 years ago

HU-278788126 Inspirational pictures are a good starting point. Kitchen Design is not simply selecting wood species and layout. In the end a good designer is a talented artist and knows the concepts of designing a functional and beautiful space that speaks to your heart when you look at it. Using shapes, color, contrasting colors, lighting and texture bring the feelings all together wrapped up in a bow! Hiring a good designer does not necessarily cost more money and the good ones actually save you money on costly mistakes that you would otherwise make if you didn't have one. Here at Designs by Karen we carry Shiloh Cabinetry which has a 10-year warranty (compared to Designers Choice which has a 5-year warranty) Shiloh also keeps up with the changing trends in color as well as demand for certain wood species. They recently added Walnut, Rift Cut White Oak, and Quarter Sawn White Oak. We are located in Midland Michigan but we deliver anywhere within a 100-mile radius.

• Hillside House
    3 years ago

The difference in this photo is that the rug is tricking your eye into thinking there aren’t wood floors. I guarantee if you looked at a different photo from the kitchen, one that wasn’t so tight in and showed the floor, you wouldn’t like it nearly as much.

• PRO
    Designs by Karen
    3 years ago

Actually the only thing that doesn’t work in the entire space is the rug. I would have made it black to repeat and ground the window color or maybe the dark color in the shade....that gold color awful!

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

On my screen, the rug looks green, not gold. Gorgeous kitchen, regardless.

• PRO
    ABtelier Design
    3 years ago

Maybe a moodboard would really clarify your needs and the color mix you would like.
    After that exercise, your design renovation project will be more simple and you will be confident in your purchases and money invested.

Best regards,

Ariane Boisclair

• missenigma
    3 years ago

Here's another angle of the featured Atlanta Homes kitchen . . .

Here are some additional details . . .

Shayelyn Woodbery, Shayelyn Woodbery Interiors with Kingdom Woodworks

“Since kitchens and breakfast areas tend to be the hub of the home, I hoped to create a space that would feel comfortable to be in day-to-day and also sleek enough when entertaining,” says designer Shayelyn Woodbery, who took a fun yet sophisticated approach to decorating both spaces. In the kitchen, Kingdom Woodworks kept the aesthetic clean with white oak cabinets and quartzite countertops that extend to the backsplash. Woodbery added impact and edge via lighting, artwork and mixed metals, as well as a signature touch of tribal in the Schumacher cushion fabric on the barstools (which were custom designed by Woodbery). This print also appears in the napkins in the breakfast room, where a chevron rug, spice-hued chairs and a dramatic tiered light fixture complement the classic wooden dining table. “I chose a lot of opposites to create that balance,” Woodbery notes.

Kitchen: CABINETRY & DESIGN Kingdom Woodworks BACKSPLASH + COUNTERTOPS Levantina, with fabrication by Construction Resources, Inc. FAUCETRY Rennaisance Tile & Bath APPLIANCES Sub-Zero through Guy Gunter Home CABINETRY INSERTS Rev-a-Shelf HARDWARE MQ Collection KITCHEN PENDANTS Rejuvenation, customized by SWI Interiors BARSTOOLS Schumacher fabric, custom by SWI Interiors PETRIFIED TRAY B.D. Jeffries SHADES Root Cellar Designs through Bradley Runner Moattar / Dining Room: WINDOWS Jeld-Wen DINING TABLE Holland & Company DRAPERY Root Cellar Designs through Bradley DRUM PENDANT Rejuvention PLANTERS AND WOOD STOOLS Dixon Rye CHARCOAL DRAWINGS Stephanie Wheeler through Swoox CONSOLE Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams

• Hillside House
    3 years ago

And another one.

The shooting angles are very specific, and most of them really don’t show that much floor. It’s intentional.

• Susan Flowers
    3 years ago

best decision I made was vitually all drawers for lower cabinets. I used IKEA...metal drawer sides with great divider/accessories totally changed functionality of my kitchen

• missenigma
    3 years ago

@Hillside House

"The shooting angles are very specific, and most of them really don’t show that much floor. It’s intentional."

I might be way off base here but this quote makes it seem like the floor was so detrimental to the entire kitchen that the photographer had to work hard to minimize it.

Looking from all angles, there's actually not very much floor to show - that island pretty much takes up the kitchen. Of course the shooting angles are intentional to bring out the best look. That's a professional photographer's job.

It's all totally subjective whether whether people like wood flooring with wood cabinets or don't. Personally, I find the Atlanta kitchen beautiful from all angles. But then again, I'm very drawn to the following kitchen as well. Others might look and be itching to paint the cabinets white or swap out the floor for tile. Or despise the stainless countertops.

I think the important thing is to always be cognizant of the fact that great design can still be great design and yet not align with your preferences and tastes.

I'm also drawn to this kitchen as well.

In the end, its not one specific material it's how the individual pieces contribute to the whole and create intention.

• PRO
    Jean Nist Design
    3 years ago

One difference I see between the cabinet inspirations in the OP that you like vs the ones you don't like is the sheen of the cabinets. Go for a matte top coat instead of semi-gloss.

• HU-278788126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jean Nist Design - I think so too. I appreciate the insight!

• Julie Schrag
    3 years ago

Following and interested in an update from you HU-278!