SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

August 2020, Week 2

The heat is on....

I am not overly fond of the August heat so spend the whole month counting down the days until September arrives. Unfortunately, in recent years, our September heat hasn't been much different from our August heat.

There's no gardening occurring here except watering and harvesting. Same old, same old....

We are having a great bird year. The hummingbirds are flocking like mad to the feeders. It looks like our resident hummers raised lots of fledglings this year and they're busy fueling up and growing and getting ready to migrate. They are emptying out the feeders almost daily now. The other morning I found a tiny hummingbird feather stuck to the feeder, brought it in and saved it to show to our granddaughters when they arrived here on Friday. They were fascinated with how tiny it was. Songbirds are plentiful and we are having the bluest year we've had in ages, with tons of blue jays, bluebirds and indigo buntings. The bluebirds are such a welcome sight. We used to have lots of them here and would see several of them sitting together on the neighbor's fence every morning. Then we had an epic grasshopper year, and all the ranchers sprayed their pastures heavily and repeatedly with registered pesticides, really heavy duty stuff, and all the bluebirds disappeared. All of them. I think this was in 2005. For several years we didn't see another bluebird. Finally, we began to see one here and there but never in the amounts we had before. Suddenly, this year, we have them everywhere. It is good to see them, but horrible to think about how long it took our little local population to rebound. We have a lot of doves here. If I forget to put out cracked corn for them, or if the greedy deer come here and eat the cracked corn before the doves find it, the doves sit on the power line and watch the back door, waiting for me to come out and feed them. Lately, for 2 or 3 weeks now, they've been joined by one city cousin---a pigeon. We have no idea where it came from (I am sure there are pigeons in both Marietta and Gainesville, TX, across the river from us), and we don't know how or why it came here, but here it is. It doesn't hang out with the doves, but it comes and eats their cracked corn. We always have a lot of cardinals and many other songbirds, but it is extra nice to have all the blue birds of various types around here. The blue jays, in particular, seem to hang out near and hunt for food in the garden. I hope they are eating lots of grasshoppers.

We still have low pest numbers in general, but a couple of leaf footed bugs have shown up lately. I'm just relieved there's not more of them. We usually have tons and tons. We also aren't plagued with lots of blister beetles or tons of grasshoppers like many parts of Oklahoma are this year.

A La Nina Watch has been issued, so that hints at a winter that's generally warmer and drier than usual. After last year's wetter than usual winter, I wouldn't mind one that is a little drier than usual. It all averages out in the end.

What's up with everybody? What's new in your yards, gardens and lives? We had the grandkids here on Friday and Saturday so today it will be all about running our errands, going to the feed store, buying groceries, etc. Most of yesterday was about the all-important swimming pool time as the girls tried to squeeze out every bit of fun from the pool that they can before school starts and cooler weather arrives. The pool was surrounded all day by birds, butterflies, bees, frogs and other little creatures, and I'm happy we have the habitat that encourages all the little creatures to stick around.

Have a great week everyone.

Dawn

Comments (53)